Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are the rules on BLM land?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Thanks guys, I've basically heard, as I assume you have too, the phrase "it's BLM land, anything goes".
    Unless it’s cryptobiotic soil. Anything else goes!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I recently rode Klondike and some ATVs tore up the potholes on the south end of UFO. Meaning...I saw that and a lot of other damage where ATVs shouldn't go in my 10 days riding all around on my bike. Dudes tearin' off into the desert. But then again, they've been doing that around Moab for a long time. I just bums me out to see it.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by middlefork View Post
    10 second Google search. You should be able to burn some fuel down there.

https://www.blm.gov/sites/blm.gov/fi...untainsMap.pdf
    Yeah I saw that same map, a different version though but the same legend and key with the green lines marking the routes, basically only the paved and dirt roads. I guess I just had this crazy idea from somewhere that if there wasn't a sign posted saying "No offroad travel" or "must say on designated roads", then you are free to travel across country on a dirt bike.

Hiking trails get started on those dirt ridges all the time. Why wouldn't a motorcycle be able to ride on one of those singletrack trails? Or would an ebike be better?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Hiking trails get started on those dirt ridges all the time. Why wouldn't a motorcycle be able to ride on one of those singletrack trails?

The amount of resultant disturbance from foot travel is exponentially less than what is generated by motorcycles?

Just a guess...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    The amount of resultant disturbance from foot travel is exponentially less than what is generated by motorcycles?

Just a guess...

That may all be true--BUT-- e bikes(such as beech covets) are environmentally friendly and I believe as such, beech can go anywhere when he gets one.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

7. Likes accadacca liked this post
    The days of (legally) ripping across the San Rafael Desert chasing wild horses on a CR500 are history.

But there is still a very tiny portion of public land in Utah that you can tear up whatever you want with whatever you have.

Off the top of my head, the few remaining OPEN OHV areas left in the state are:

Knolls OHV Recreation Area
    5 Mile Pass
    Little Sahara Sand Dunes (is this a Utah State Park now?)
    Swing Arm City--aka, Factory Butte
    Sand Hollow--Utah State Park
    Coral Pink Sand Dunes--Utah State Park
    Lone Rock--GCNRA
    Beach near Bullfrog Bay--GCNRA (check on this one)

I believe that's it...please add to or take away from the list if not correct.

Some of the areas allow dispursed camping, so you could set up a tent/trailer and people could ride around camp all they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    The days of (legally) ripping across the San Rafael Desert chasing wild horses on a CR500 are history.

But there is still a very tiny portion of public land in Utah that you can tear up whatever you want with whatever you have.

5 Mile Pass
    Lone Rock--GCNRA

Some of the areas allow dispursed camping, so you could set up a tent/trailer and people could ride around camp all they want.

What about Delle? Right, @accadacca?

Dang right!

Is there a story here?

Is there a story here?

During our high school years, Acca and I would go out to the West Desert and camp out together sometimes. Delle is a spot we frequented.

With Acca's motorcycles in tow, we loaded for bear and tore up the West Desert. During the daylight hours, Acca would take his motorcycle off sweet jumps, and I'd position myself on my back with a camera just underneath Acca's flight path as he flew off the jumps. Some pretty good pictures came from those trips. I wish we still had them - they were quite impressive, especially considering I was shooting with a little Fred Meyer 35mm film camera.

At night around the campfire, Acca would roast hot dogs on a stick while I busied myself with trying to saw into a can of clam chowder with a pocket knife because somebody forgot a can opener. You never can tell if that grit in your campfire warmed clam chowder is bits of shells, bits of the can from hacking it to pieces with a dull pocketknife, or just wind-blown desert sand.

Here's a picture of what we drove on those trips. Now picture this baby peppered with rust spots, and red and blue pinstripes applied to the sides. Not sure what we were thinking putting red and blue stripes on a brown car, but hey...

Keep in mind, this gem of a car is also what towed a makeshift homemade wood paneled trailer loaded with motorcycles, coolers, and sleeping bags through the sand dunes.

Good times...

13. Likes Sandstone Addiction, Rob L liked this post
    Great memories! We need to go camping out there again.

Here is one of the pictures you took. I have some others somewhere. Now I ride out there with my boys.

15. Likes Sandstone Addiction, rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Great memories! We need to go camping out there again.

Here is one of the pictures you took. I have some others somewhere. Now I ride out there with my boys.

YES!!!!

So glad you still have those!! That's such a sweet shot.

This is among the key questions, how can you tell they allow riding around camp in these areas? I mean within a hundred yards or so of camp.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

They are all designated open to off road, cross country, hill climbing, roost slinging OHV travel.

On the BLM managed Open OHV areas, there are flat, open areas where campers assemble and ride anywhere they want. I'm thinking anytime as well, but they could have "quiet time" restrictions that I'm not aware of.

On the State Park Open OHV areas, I believe all have a designated campground that you can ride to and from the OHV riding area. Although, I don't think they like kids or adults just riding up and down the roads in the campground.

For Lone Rock Beach in the GCNRA (again, check on the Bullfrog area), there is a designated "quiet time" and the area is quite small, but fun none the less.

Obviously, Acca and Rock could give a better description of Knolls (which I think is the same as Delle). Loved the story BTW.

Now, I personally avoid the Open OHV areas as I'm more of a trail rider these days. When we go camping, we try to find a place that's not busy and has a very large place to camp. One of my favorite places is the very large dispersed camping areas near Little Egypt (not the graveled parking area). Kids can spend hours riding in the very large camp sites or can venture up and down the road as far as they are allowed to go. My boys can't just tear up the hill sides and flatten the sagebrush, but they seem to have a great time nonetheless.

There are places like that all over, just takes time to find them.

So to try and answer your question, I think it comes down to common sense as I don't think there is a cut and dry answer. If an area looks like it has been used for camping with a large parking area you are probably fine to ride anywhere there are already tire prints. If you end up in a spot that's tiny, riding around flattening the sagebrush will probably not go over well.

If you are interested in a full on Open OHV riding area, check out the youtube videos on all the areas and I'm sure you will be able to see where people are camping and riding.

Near Little Egypt

Name:  20170529_084920.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  71.1 KB

Sandtrax can be fun as well, but can only ride around the camping area

Name:  20160604_204927.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  56.3 KB

19. Likes twotimer liked this post

5 Mile Pass
    Lone Rock--GCNRA

White Wash Sand Dunes south of Green River: http://destinationgreenriver.com/white-wash-sand-dunes/
    Blog | FB

Quote Originally Posted by Udink View Post
    White Wash Sand Dunes south of Green River: http://destinationgreenriver.com/white-wash-sand-dunes/
    Last time I was at the White Wash Sand Dunes they were fenced off with more fences restricting travel to existing trails only. We rode our ATVS up Dead Cow and had multiple dirt bikers pissed because it was apparently now designated as dirt bike only. That has been a few years ago so hopefully things have changed back. Such a fun area to ride and would love to go back.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk