Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the rules on BLM land?

What are the rules on BLM land?

Yes, be respectful, but that saying has many interpretations. Unless there are signs posted, like "offroad travel prohibited" or "no shooting", what CAN'T you do on BLM land?

Can you ride ATV and motorcycle in the hills if there are no signs? Campfires, shooting guns... what's the best way to find out?

Other than leaving litter and wearing socks with sandals, what are the other rules for BLM that the average camper wouldn't know about?

And again, this is if there are no signs posted between the paved road and your camp site.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

People who wear socks with sandals is the reason why Jesus hasn't come back yet...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

4. Likes DiscGo, twotimer liked this post
    Most, if not all, BLM field offices have a written travel plan for their area, though they're not always easily available to the public. Usually only designated roads (shown on the travel map) are open to travel, regardless of signage on the ground.

Camp fires are generally unrestricted, but it's best to use an existing (already disturbed) camp site and fire ring.

Shooting is also generally unrestricted, though I know some field offices have certain areas that are off-limits (e.g., areas on the west side of Utah Lake). Shooting is also subject to state laws, like you have to be a certain distance from roads and structures.

Socks with sandals are allowed, but a Subaru with current registration and insurance is required.
    Blog | FB

6. Likes DiscGo, accadacca, jman, Sombeech, rockgremlin liked this post
    ^^^ Good points, Udink.

Also, I know there are restrictions on Forest Service lands, for example:

-Camping restrictions (many USFS lands restrict to 14 days within a 31 day period).
    -Wood gathering (in many locations special use permits are required to gather wood).

Not sure if the USFS rules and regs transfer over to BLM lands. I suspect not.

Thanks Dennis, so where would I look to see if an area would allow dirt bikes and atvs to ride around the hills surrounding a disturbed camp site?

Google is your friend: https://stateparks.utah.gov/activiti...hv-laws-rules/

Although, this listing applies to State Parks within Utah. Those BLM regs are elusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Thanks Dennis, so where would I look to see if an area would allow dirt bikes and atvs to ride around the hills surrounding a disturbed camp site?

There are very few areas that are open OHV travel. You can go to your local BLM office and they will have maps that show where it is open OHV and where it designated roads only.

If your looking in southern utah I can help you.

Thanks guys, I've basically heard, as I assume you have too, the phrase "it's BLM land, anything goes".

I just wanted to clarify, OHV or ATV or motorcycle riding off road is only allowed on established trails, even on BLM land? So aside from unloading the bike at the camp site, you can't ride around, test out how it's running, ride up the nearby hill, etc? You must stay on the road?

I guess it just adds confusion then when there are signs posted in some areas prohibiting it. This suggests it is allowed otherwise.

Figure out which field office is responsible for the area you're looking to camp at, then dig through the BLM website (which is absolutely horrible, BTW) trying to find travel maps for that field office. It's usually difficult to find any maps online since the BLM redesigned their website a couple of years ago.

Or, do like 2065toyota says, go to the actual local office and ask for a map. You'll likely just be given the opinion of a BLM employee about which routes are open/closed, though, rather than an official map.

So, yeah, the BLM isn't very friendly or informative when it comes to letting you know what you can or can't do on their land.
    Blog | FB

13. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Udink View Post
    Figure out which field office is responsible for the area you're looking to camp at, then dig through the BLM website (which is absolutely horrible, BTW) trying to find travel maps for that field office. It's usually difficult to find any maps online since the BLM redesigned their website a couple of years ago.

Or, do like 2065toyota says, go to the actual local office and ask for a map. You'll likely just be given the opinion of a BLM employee about which routes are open/closed, though, rather than an official map.

So, yeah, the BLM isn't very friendly or informative when it comes to letting you know what you can or can't do on their land.

Yes -- this is what I ran into when trying to Google-fu for BLM rules on OHV use. A bunch of dead ends and arbitrary sites that define nothing. Best bet is to visit a local branch in person.

Ugh, terrible design. This info would make the difference for traveling to that area at all, and they expect us to travel to the area in person just to see if we should spend our vacation time traveling there again.

I'd hate to pack a bunch of gear and vehicles on a 5 hour drive just to find out from the local branch that it's prohibited.

This right here is why people who otherwise obey the rules get frustrated and slip on the regulations.

I've looked at the map and the area in question has the green line indicating "open routes " but this is different than "OHV open area".

I wonder if there's a foot trail leading up the ridge if it allows a dirt bike.

16. Likes Udink liked this post
    Ugh, terrible design. This info would make the difference for traveling to that area at all, and they expect us to travel to the area in person just to see if we should spend our vacation time traveling there again.

I'd hate to pack a bunch of gear and vehicles on a 5 hour drive just to find out from the local branch that it's prohibited.

This right here is why people who otherwise obey the rules get frustrated and slip on the regulations.

I've looked at the map and the area in question has the green line indicating "open routes " but this is different than "OHV open area".

I wonder if there's a foot trail leading up the ridge if it allows a dirt bike.

Maybe in lieu of making a personal visit, give the local field office who manages the lands where you want to visit a call. Here's a handy dandy site with all of the phone #'s for the local BLM field offices in Utah:

https://www.blm.gov/contact/utah

Forest Service Travel Management Plans.

https://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/pro...ohv_maps.shtml

I didn't find a similar version for the BLM - it probably exists out there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Udink View Post
    Most, if not all, BLM field offices have a written travel plan for their area, though they're not always easily available to the public. Usually only designated roads (shown on the travel map) are open to travel, regardless of signage on the ground.

Camp fires are generally unrestricted, but it's best to use an existing (already disturbed) camp site and fire ring.

Shooting is also generally unrestricted, though I know some field offices have certain areas that are off-limits (e.g., areas on the west side of Utah Lake). Shooting is also subject to state laws, like you have to be a certain distance from roads and structures.

Socks with sandals are allowed, but a Subaru with current registration and insurance is required.
    Yes - I recently found the pages of Travel Plans for Cedar Mesa - and they even direct their own staff to not take shortcuts on the old 2-track roads.!

And remember - not all the local rangers etc get out much -- you can be given advise that is flat out wrong.

So I did call the Henry Mountains office, he says no offroad travel, no leaving the road.

I think having signs in certain areas only gives people an excuse to ride offroad when there's not a sign. This is a cause for confusion. I understand that can't litter the land with signs, but they've given the impression that if there's not a sign, there are no restrictions.

So I did call the Henry Mountains office, he says no offroad travel, no leaving the road.

HUH?!!

What's the point in going out to ride Off Road Vehicles (ORVs) if you can't leave the road? Or was he referring to a dirt road? And if that's the case, any ole game trail could be interpreted as a dirt road.

Last spring we did a trip to the Henries. The BLM office in Hanksville had a digital version of the travel map for the Henries and printed it off for us while we waited for a price. I believe the lady at the counter said it was available online.

That being said most the roads were well signed as to trail / road numbers and there were several that looked to be infrequently used.
    All in all it appeared that most people abide by the travel restrictions as there is little sign of off trail travel.

10 second Google search. You should be able to burn some fuel down there.

https://www.blm.gov/sites/blm.gov/fi...untainsMap.pdf

Very few areas are open OHV. Most all are considered stay on existing roads and existing trails. Not saying I support or am against, but we I've been in the offroad world my whole life and that is generally the case.

Dry wash beds are fair game in my opinion as every time it rains all sign of anyone every being there goes away