Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Capitol Reef National Park family trip

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    Interesting. Some folk here (certainly Sombeech) know that I'm a pilot, and that the FAA are quite right in assuring that rules & regulations are enforced rigidly. Violations are a Federal offence. The rules are generally* the same for pilots of aircraft as they are for pilots of drones (this applies in the UK too).

So I commend Sombeech (and all other sensible drone operators) for following the rules and, more importantly, ensuring the safety of the public.

Rob

*I believe there is a height and/or weight at which drone pilots are required to be certified, as there is for radio-controlled model operators, but I'm not knowledgeable of the rules in these regards.
    Yeah all drones above .55 lbs must be registered with FAA. This cuts out most of the kid toys. All drones must stay under 400 feet above ground, so I can climb up a mountain and continue to ascend. And if a tower is 1000 feet above ground, I can go 1400 feet up but only within 400 feet horizontally from it.

Then, my commercial FAA 107 permit allows me to fly commercially, from making ad revenue on YouTube to surveying for a farmer or golf course, or all the way up to training other drone pilots and shooting high budget films. The geographic limits are the same, even restricted some once I go commercial.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

2. Likes Rob L liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks Sombeech. Of interest to others perhaps, the FAA (in fact ICAO) rules for full-size aircraft are similar but reverse, i.e. they have to fly above 500' from the surface (unless over open water or over sparsely-populated areas).

Some of my publicly-available flying videos are below this 500' requirement, but always in compliance with the ICAO rule

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    But on this post he broke his silence only to instruct me that it's illegal to fly a drone in the crack canyon wilderness study area, which contained LWH canyon.
    But, that's not true, right? I don't think drones are illegal in WSAs.

I can't find any official source, but this article says:

There are distinct management differences between a study area and one already protected as wilderness, according to federal agencies.

As an example, the operation of drones is not prohibited in study areas but is outlawed in permanent designations.

"That is a common misconception on the part of the public and others that they are managed the same, but there is quite a bit of discretion," said Allison Ginn, the National Conservation Lands program lead for the BLM in Utah.
    Blog | FB

6. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Udink View Post
    But, that's not true, right? I don't think drones are illegal in WSAs.

I can't find any official source, but this article says:
    It's hard to find a solid answer sometimes, it's like the BLM thread, it often depends who answers the phone at the office and what their opinion is.

Nowadays, you mention "drone" and some people immediately pucker up before they even hear the question. I've spoken with gate attendants at certain reservoirs, just giving them an FYI that it would be me making the buzzing sound with my drone. They cut me off before I stated my purpose saying they don't think drones are allowed, to which I politely informed them that they have zero ownership of the air and I was only telling them as a courtesy. I do NOT need their permission to fly. But I was being nice just in case they ever wanted to see the footage, they would have a way to find me.

Technically, even in National Parks, they do not own the air. They only own the ground from which I launch and land the drone. I can stand outside the park, launch and fly inside as far as my battery allows, to my heart's content, bugging the hell out of people and ruining their day, LEGALLY, if only I don't touch down inside the park.

But when the police get called and they come to arrest me, they may not know that rule and I'd be fighting it 3 months later and a lot of money spent. So it's not worth it, and no they don't own the air, yes I can fly in there if I launch from outside. But I want to advertise my footage without the headache of explaining the technicality, and I'm respectful, so I'm not going to do it.

But as far as the Wilderness Study Area, if they want to ban drones, that's great. It means I've got the exclusive footage now

8. Likes rockgremlin, Udink liked this post