Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Capitol Reef National Park family trip

Capitol Reef National Park family trip

This was my family's first time visiting Capitol Reef National Park, and we plan on visiting again next year. We were pleasantly surprised by the fun hikes there. Sulfur Creek was our favorite, a 5 mile one way hike starting from the Chimney Rock parking lot and ending at the Visitor Center, where we had dropped off a vehicle. This canyon had some fairly narrow slots with fun waterfalls for the kids to climb and slide down. I'll have more on that later.

For now, here are some experimental shots I took from the trail overlooking Chimney Rock. I'll be editing video all week and will be posting here as I get it online.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Some very cool purple stripes in them hills, just outside the park and near our camp. The park is on the horizon in the back.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I'm upset that posts like this are getting in the way of Political Forum material.

Cool TR tho, F'real.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

5. Likes jman, Iceaxe liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    I'm upset that posts like this are getting in the way of Political Forum material.
    Ooh I laughed out loud, RG, well done! I was tempted to post to the London knife thread that at least we don't shoot our schoolkids, but that may yet come.

Back on topic: I do like Capitol Reef; a lot less spoiled than other NPs, probably because it's off the beaten track for many.

Rob

7. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    Ooh I laughed out loud, RG, well done!

I aim to please. Not many understand and/or appreciate my dark humor. I think I'm hilarious...

9. Likes Rob L liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Like I always say, if you want your Political posts to bury this Outdoor Recreation crap, you've gotta generate some content.

Chasing the boys at the Chimney Rock trailhead

Here's a photo from the Pioneer Registry. My kids loved being a part of history as we encouraged them to scratch their names in the rock right alongside the old pioneer names.

And that, my friends, is a joke.

Yes it is even cool to joke about it, get over yourself.

Name:  20180406_152652.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  65.0 KB

13. Likes Sandstone Addiction, jman, oldno7 liked this post
    Well, I hope you had the extra set of license plates handy so the cops don't catch up to you later.

Looks like a fun trip. I'm going to have to get down there sometime soon.

15. Likes jman, oldno7 liked this post
    Here are a few photos from the trip. Sulfur Creek was the highlight, we did the 5 mile trek 1 way. Videos on the way.

17. Likes Sandstone Addiction, oldno7 liked this post

Blog Entries
    Were all of those people part of your group?

If not...

I did this 3 years ago in June on a Friday and no-one was in sight. My sister and I had Sulfur Creek all to ourselves that day.

It’s a good one, especially on a hot day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Were all of those people part of your group?

If not...

I did this 3 years ago in June on a Friday and no-one was in sight. My sister and I had Sulfur Creek all to ourselves that day.

It’s a good one, especially on a hot day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah that was just us. 2 kids in kid carrier backpacks too, everybody did fine.

This is just off Notom Bullfrog road, on a road leading to Hanksville.

I've had some upset folks thinking it was Painted Desert, getting somewhat upset at me flying in a national park. Sometimes I wonder just what the penalty would be.

Anyways, enjoy.

22. Likes qedcook liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I've had some upset folks thinking it was Painted Desert, getting somewhat upset at me flying in a national park.

Usually when folks get pissed at me for something I didn't do, I just let them stew in their anger. And I'll typically goad them even further by flaunting my supposed infractions.

I'll let them work themselves into a lather before I drop the facts on them that I'm innocent of whatever crime they're accusing me of. Wanna make good and sure they're fully invested in their witch hunt before I crack the egg over their head and watch it drizzle down their face and into their eyes. Serves them right for jumping to judgement so rashly.

I hate overly judgy people who think they have license to tell everyone how they should live their lives. It is undoubtedly my biggest pet peeve.

Yeah I've kept it a secret that I'm FAA 107 certified and licensed for commercial use. A lot of drone snobs will see a video shot for a business or even getting that .000003 cents in youtube ad revenue, and will ask if the pilot was properly certified for such a commercial operation.

Me? (Without giving the answer) I just innocently ask if it's true, if I really need to be certified, and I'll receive the carefully prepared lecture about stealing work from the professionals, giving drones a bad name, the FAA will come after me and my family, how I think the rules don't apply to me.

Then I let it get ripe, and say well if that's the case it's fortunate that I'm certified. Thank you for watching out for my well being.

Why didn't you say so before?

Because you aren't the FAA inspector and it's none of your F%×€+=× business.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    ....the carefully prepared lecture about stealing work from the professionals, giving drones a bad name, the FAA will come after me and my family, how I think the rules don't apply to me.

Then I let it get ripe, and say well if that's the case it's fortunate that I'm certified. Thank you for watching out for my well being.

Why didn't you say so before?

Because you aren't the FAA inspector and it's none of your F%×€+=× business.

Ok maybe I'll share this story about drone access and Little Wild Horse canyon from a little while ago, talking about baiting those that should mind their own business. I'll keep his identity private since he used to be part of our bogley community.

A few weeks ago I was looking through some 2016 footage I had and decided to edit another scene that I had to cut in earlier versions. In fact it was this clip.

I had shared it with the usual Facebook groups, including the American Canyoneering group (?) Now I forget which one, but it hasn't had a post for a month so I thought I'd generate some discussion, being the productive member.

Well our former associate ____ ______ never talks to me, even if I commend him on a cool shot here and there, as a fellow drone operator. But on this post he broke his silence only to instruct me that it's illegal to fly a drone in the crack canyon wilderness study area, which contained LWH canyon.

I thanked him for his feedback, which was absent, and informed him this footage was from 2 years ago.

Finally, maybe we can be adults and have a productive conversa-THREAD DELETED

The whole thread, even my video post.

^^^ Oh Brother...

Well, he showed you huh? You'll never do that again, right?

Interesting. Some folk here (certainly Sombeech) know that I'm a pilot, and that the FAA are quite right in assuring that rules & regulations are enforced rigidly. Violations are a Federal offence. The rules are generally* the same for pilots of aircraft as they are for pilots of drones (this applies in the UK too).

So I commend Sombeech (and all other sensible drone operators) for following the rules and, more importantly, ensuring the safety of the public.

Rob

*I believe there is a height and/or weight at which drone pilots are required to be certified, as there is for radio-controlled model operators, but I'm not knowledgeable of the rules in these regards.

29. Likes Sombeech liked this post