Thread: Ding Dang SAR Rescue

Ding Dang SAR Rescue

Looks like this guy came to the big drop at the head of Ding and jumped a little too far. Broke his leg and was unable to self egress. Was alone, but notified others of his location. SAR called out in the middle of the night to pluck him from the canyon and send him on to hospital.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46285478&ni...eaking-his-leg
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries

Ding Dang SAR Rescue

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Looks like this guy came to the big drop at the head of Ding and jumped a little too far. Broke his leg and was unable to self egress. Was alone, but notified others of his location. SAR called out in the middle of the night to pluck him from the canyon and send him on to hospital.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46285478&ni...eaking-his-leg
    I’m trying to remember this drop...

I did the canyon last year and can’t recall it.

Hopefully someone had a pic of the location, possibly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    I’m trying to remember this drop...

I did the canyon last year and can’t recall it.

Hopefully someone had a pic of the location, possibly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There are quite a few places one could jump down and break a leg. But there is that place near the top (it has been 15 years since I have been there) where finding a reasonable way down is difficult.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    There are quite a few places one could jump down and break a leg. But there is that place near the top (it has been 15 years since I have been there) where finding a reasonable way down is difficult.

Tom

Yeah there's a spot not too far into the canyon where there is a modest drop - maybe 25 - 30 feet - where there you have to negotiate a tricky downclimb. There's a ledge along the wall high to the west that is exposed, and carries some high penalty points if you fell there. Old ropes and rockbolts have been installed and removed in different areas of this drop over the years to assist in the descent, but it sounds like this guy opted for the Spiderman approach (without the webs ).

Last time I did these canyons we met up with a small family who had managed to negotiate a stroller down that drop, baby included. We politely informed them that, while it isn't a technical canyon in some sense, they would not be able to make it through with their stroller. They didn't really seem to care though, and declined our offer for help. Always wondered what happened with that. Seems like its proximity to Goblin Valley is becoming an issue.

7. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by cjhaines0 View Post
    Last time I did these canyons we met up with a small family who had managed to negotiate a stroller down that drop, baby included. We politely informed them that, while it isn't a technical canyon in some sense, they would not be able to make it through with their stroller. They didn't really seem to care though, and declined our offer for help. Always wondered what happened with that. Seems like its proximity to Goblin Valley is becoming an issue.
    Oh my...!

I wonder how they negotiated the tight waist deep pools just down canyon from that drop?!

Crazy. I'll bet that wasn't mom's favorite trip...

9. Likes cjhaines0 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Oh my...!

I wonder how they negotiated the tight waist deep pools just down canyon from that drop?!

Crazy. I'll bet that wasn't mom's favorite trip...
    Its always been dry when I've done it. In Summer. 100 degrees out.

T

FWIW - this is a really fun route to do in reverse. Up dang and down ding ups the skill required and is a great route to practice your partner assist skills.

12. Likes cjhaines0 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    FWIW - this is a really fun route to do in reverse. Up dang and down ding ups the skill required and is a great route to practice your partner assist skills.
    I agree. Absolutely. Awesome that way.

Tom

The ledge/ropes you guys are talking about would be in Dang, not Ding unless you are talking about a spot I'm not remembering. Here are a few shots of what I think you are talking about in Dang where the canyon first starts to narrow. Also, from the footage, it looks like the area he is in is more narrow.

First shot rope that was setup circa 2004ish, second shots, the ledge that skirts around right.

Name:  DangCanyon_SRSwell_Callie.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  1.86 MB

Name:  03182013_DingDangSanRafaelSwell-10.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  86.3 KB

Name:  03182013_DingDangSanRafaelSwell-18.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  80.0 KB

15. Likes jman liked this post
    ^^^ You're correct. That is the ledge I was referring to. I thought it was Dang not Ding in the first place. Thanks for the clarification.