Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spring Turkey Hunt 2018

I have some pieces of camo clothing but needed a hat, facemask and gloves. I recently found out that the Kings Camo headquarters is less than a mile from my office in AF and they have an outlet store. I went over today at lunch and checked the place out. I ended up buying this rain/wind jacket for $30 (half from what it's listed on Amazon) https://www.amazon.com/Kings-Camo-Cl...%2Bjacket&th=1 but a lot of their stuff I can buy cheaper on Amazon. Anyway, if you're down this way, it might be worth checking out.
    Are we there yet?

2. Likes double moo liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    I have some pieces of camo clothing but needed a hat, facemask and gloves. I recently found out that the Kings Camo headquarters is less than a mile from my office in AF and they have an outlet store. I went over today at lunch and checked the place out. I ended up buying this rain/wind jacket for $30 (half from what it's listed on Amazon) https://www.amazon.com/Kings-Camo-Cl...%2Bjacket&th=1 but a lot of their stuff I can buy cheaper on Amazon. Anyway, if you're down this way, it might be worth checking out.
    I have used the kings desert camo in Utah and Texas for all of my turkey hunts. I think that it is the best. What size shells will you be using 3" or 3-1/2 ?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by REDFOX View Post
    I have used the kings desert camo in Utah and Texas for all of my turkey hunts. I think that it is the best. What size shells will you be using 3" or 3-1/2 ?
    3".
    Yeah, I like their desert camo pattern. For where I hunt I think it most closely matches up.
    Are we there yet?

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I sit out on my front porch and call to turkeys every evening.

About 20 in yard this morning, toms are quite vocal.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Ready to roll....

Name:  received_1046579298850588.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  20.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by double moo View Post
    Ready to roll....

Name:  received_1046579298850588.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  20.5 KB
    What, no chainsaw mounted on the front fork? Lame.
    Are we there yet?

C-4 in the panniers for downed trees...

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    I'm all packed for next weekend's Limited Entry hunt. I'm going to try HWY89 area around Marysvale, then work my way North as necessary toward Fillmore.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    I'm all packed for next weekend's Limited Entry hunt. I'm going to try HWY89 area around Marysvale, then work my way North as necessary toward Fillmore.
    Good luck! I look forward to a trip report!
    Are we there yet?

Just got back from testing out the new shotgun and turkey load shells. Wow! The Winchester Long Beard XR shells kick like a motha'! I could only shoot 4 of them before my shoulder was done! I definitely need to look at a different recoil pad! Anyway, I set the target out to 55 yards and shot 1 time (1st photo). I wasn't impressed. Some hits but, not many. I shot once more. Same result. Then realized I didn't have the Carlson's turkey choke in! Silly me! 2nd photo is with the turkey choke (made just for the Long Beard XR round). Impressive! I haven't counted the hits but, there's a lot. Again, that's at 55 yards. I have no doubt this combo will be deadly at 60 yards plus.

Name:  Turkey 1.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  61.2 KB

Name:  Turkey 2.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  64.6 KB
    Are we there yet?

13. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Got cleared by the Forest Service to drive past the closed gate at Pine Hollow so, this afternoon I'll be checking things out and doing trailwork at the same time. I have noticed a lot of predator signs up there this year. Lots and lots of bobcat and coyote tracks and scat and I actually saw a bobcat about a month ago in the Timpooneke area. Hopefully they haven't killed all the turkeys off.
    Are we there yet?

Just an update on my 2 weekends of LE Turkey Hunt. Between my boy and I, we each bagged a big Tom up Bullion Canyon and the PST77 trail just outside of Marysvale. Thick as fleas just after a massive snow storm Thursday night.

I've been up doing trailwork the last 2 evenings and have been able to call turkeys both days. Tuesday, I had hiked back down to my Jeep, loaded back up my trail tools and decided to try calling. I was shocked to have my call answered within seconds! Plus, it sounded like it was maybe 100 yards away, over the road embankment. It answered me several times but, I never saw it and it didn't come in. I'm guessing it popped it's head over the embankment, saw me and fled. I wasn't wearing any camo and was right by my Jeep. Same thing happened last night but, in another area. I had actually heard it gobble first as soon as I parked and got out of my Jeep. I grabbed my slate call and walked a hundred yards away from my Jeep and called. It answered right back and came to within a 100 yards. I could see it through the trees. It just never came any closer. Again, I wasn't wearing any camo. I'm excited for next week. I ordered a couple of decoys and am hoping that will help bring them in closer.
    Are we there yet?

17. Likes Sandstone Addiction, double moo liked this post
    You probably educated the turkeys, I would not call unless I was hunting at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    I've been up doing trailwork the last 2 evenings and have been able to call turkeys both days. Tuesday, I had hiked back down to my Jeep, loaded back up my trail tools and decided to try calling. I was shocked to have my call answered within seconds! Plus, it sounded like it was maybe 100 yards away, over the road embankment. It answered me several times but, I never saw it and it didn't come in. I'm guessing it popped it's head over the embankment, saw me and fled. I wasn't wearing any camo and was right by my Jeep. Same thing happened last night but, in another area. I had actually heard it gobble first as soon as I parked and got out of my Jeep. I grabbed my slate call and walked a hundred yards away from my Jeep and called. It answered right back and came to within a 100 yards. I could see it through the trees. It just never came any closer. Again, I wasn't wearing any camo. I'm excited for next week. I ordered a couple of decoys and am hoping that will help bring them in closer.
    Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Name:  20180505_212823.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  138.2 KB
    Name:  20180505_213102.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  219.2 KB

Everything but the birds...

Well? Anyone else bag a turkey?

Well, we saw some on the first day we went out (funny story, actually). Double moo got a shot off but, the tom was booking it over an embankment and wasn't hit. The second day we went out, didn't see or hear a thing. Not sure where they went. It was the day after the big storm on Wednesday. Maybe they migrated down lower, not sure.
    Are we there yet?

Funny story from yesterday afternoon. The Forest Service asked me to drive up and look at the current trails conditions to see if the trails are ready to open yet or too muddy still from last weeks storms. I headed up around 4:00 and, at the last minute, threw my shotgun in the back seat of my Jeep, just in case. Sure enough, about a half-mile down the Cascade Springs road from the summit of the Alpine Loop, a hen and a tom ran across the road in front of me and into a small primitive camping spot. I slammed on the brakes, jumped out, grabbed the shotgun out of the case and threw in a couple of shells. By this time the turkeys had reached the far side of the camp and headed down slope into the thick trees. When I got over there I could see their heads barely bobbing to my right about 15 yards away. What luck. They we walking parallel to me from my right to left. Right in front of me was an 8' or so break in the trees and brush where I could get off a shot. When the turkeys came within that small shot window, I started to take aim when something really big started moving right behind them. It was a big bull elk about 20 yards beyond the turkeys! Oh, crap! If I would have shot, I'm sure I would have killed the turkey but, some scatter would have also hit the elk! Crap! Never saw them after that.
    Are we there yet?

What gauge do you use to take down turkeys?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    What gauge do you use to take down turkeys?
    Are we there yet?