Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spring Turkey Hunt 2018

Spring Turkey Hunt 2018

I've bought my 2018 turkey hunting license. I'm not sure what shells to buy. Does anyone have any favorites to recommend or what to look for?
    Are we there yet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    I've bought my 2018 turkey hunting license. I'm not sure what shells to buy. Does anyone have any favorites to recommend or what to look for?
    You can get specific loads just for Turkey. I got early season tags, so my turkey hunt starts mid next month!

https://www.federalpremium.com/news/...nd=5&year=2018
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    You can get specific loads just for Turkey. I got early season tags, so my turkey hunt starts mid next month!

https://www.federalpremium.com/news/...nd=5&year=2018
    Yeah, I've seen the turkey specific loads but, even within the turkey loads you can choose from 4, 5, or 6 shot. Looks like there's even 7-9 shot available. I guess that's where i'm confused.
    Are we there yet?

Yeah, I've seen the turkey specific loads but, even within the turkey loads you can choose from 4, 5, or 6 shot. Looks like there's even 7-9 shot available. I guess that's where i'm confused.
    More pellets = a good thing. Turkey are FAST and the more shot you can send flying = better chance of dropping one of those elusive birds!

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I wouldn't shoot anything smaller than 4 shot.

With weight comes penetration.

Most call turkeys in and look for head shots.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

I think I'll give the 3rd Degree shells a try. Seems like best of both worlds and the reviews are stellar.
    BTW, if anyone wants to tag along this spring with me, I'll be going up AF Canyon several times to try my luck just as soon as the SR92 Alpine Loop road is clear of snow. I have a key to the gate, plus the trails will be under the springtime wet trails closure (foot traffic only), so, we'll have the whole place to ourselves. I can drive to where no one hikes in because of distance (at least to hunt). I usually know where the turkeys hang out. I just have to go under the guise of doing trailwork and I only go up weekday evenings. Let me know if interested.
    Are we there yet?

Best to pattern your gun and see what size shot gives the most dense pattern at 40 yards. Head shots are where it's at. #6 is plenty good for turkey if you shoot em in the lips.

I have two locations to hunt Turkey this year: Fillmore to Marysvale areas and the Mouth of Weber Canyon in Oakley (where I dropped 2x Elk in January of this year <private property> ). As for the American Fork location, did you get tags there or ??

I have two locations to hunt Turkey this year: Fillmore to Marysvale areas and the Mouth of Weber Canyon in Oakley (where I dropped 2x Elk in January of this year <private property> ). As for the American Fork location, did you get tags there or ??
    AF Canyon is open to the Spring General Season hunt. I put in for Limited Entry but, I don't have any points.
    Are we there yet?

11. Likes BruteForce liked this post
    I think I'll give the 3rd Degree shells a try. Seems like best of both worlds and the reviews are stellar.
    BTW, if anyone wants to tag along this spring with me, I'll be going up AF Canyon several times to try my luck just as soon as the SR92 Alpine Loop road is clear of snow. I have a key to the gate, plus the trails will be under the springtime wet trails closure (foot traffic only), so, we'll have the whole place to ourselves. I can drive to where no one hikes in because of distance (at least to hunt). I usually know where the turkeys hang out. I just have to go under the guise of doing trailwork and I only go up weekday evenings. Let me know if interested.
    yes... I would like to go with you this year! let's talk when you get a moment

Cool. I'd love the company. The hunt doesn't start until April 30th so, we have awhile.
    Are we there yet?

Remind me.. If I have Limited Entry tags, can I then also hunt general season? I think likely NOT, just don't recall offhand.

Remind me.. If I have Limited Entry tags, can I then also hunt general season? I think likely NOT, just don't recall offhand.
    Good question for which I don't know the answer.
    Are we there yet?

Found the answer in the Turkey Hunt Proclamation. The answer is NO. If we get a Limted Entry draw, we can't then again hunt general season. BUMMER!

Spring 2018 general seasonhuntThe spring 2018 general-season hunt willbe held statewide from April 30–May 31, 2018.Spring general-season permits will beavailable beginning at 8 a.m. on Feb. 22, 2018at wildlife.utah.gov and from license agentsand Division offices.You may obtain a spring general-seasonturkey permit if you meet the basic huntingrequirements (see page 8), and you didn’tobtain a limited-entry turkey permit for thespring 2018 season.Young hunters who obtain general-seasonturkey permits will have the opportunity toparticipate in the youth hunt. For details, seethe information box on page 15

Cool. I'd love the company. The hunt doesn't start until April 30th so, we have awhile.
    Looking forward to it!

Sheesh! Talk about pricey shells! Federal's 3rd Degree turkey loads: $18 for a box of only 5 rounds on MIdwayUSA. I like the theory behind these shells but, I found a few user low-budget youtube video's comparing that one to the Winchester Long Beard XR's and the Long Beard held a much tighter pattern at longer range. $16 for a box of 20 so, I bought two boxes of those.
    Are we there yet?

All of my turkeys have been shot using federal premium 3-1/2" 2-1/4 Oz #6 shot. I also use a breily extra full choke. I spent a lot of money on shells and time patterning the gun.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

21. Likes tallsteve liked this post
    I just picked up an inexpensive Remington 870. I bought a Carlson's Long Beard Turkey Choke Tube (model # 70120) designed specifically for the Winchester Long Beard XR turkey shells I have on order. From the reading I've been doing on that combo, it's supposed to hold a good pattern out to 60 yards. We'll see if that holds true. I'm not going to have a lot of time to dink around with it but, I plan on going out to the west desert in the next couple of weeks and shoot it some. If nothing else, this choke looks really cool, haha! http://www.choketube.com/choke-tube-...ke-Tubes&mf=16
    Are we there yet?

I think I bought that same choke for my 870 also! Ready to go...

24. Likes tallsteve liked this post