Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do Travel Trailers Work?

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    Here's my rig when bought new. Mind you, both truck and RV have been through many heavy mods. I had the RV stripped of all decals, added a 2nd AC unit, built in high gain 4G cell/WiFi, SAT TV, etc. Truck went from 400HP to ~700HP to be able to handle the mountains of Utah. Mind you, I've been 33,000 pounds total weight going down the road before. I don't think you'll have that issue!
    Christ almighty!...I'd bet the old lady thinks you're the most awesome guy on the planet.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Personally, I wouldn't buy a trailer. I'd get a self contained RV...a cabover camper or perhaps a nicely equipped 4X Sprinter. Park it and your'e good to go.

A friend of mine has a cabover called a Tiger...no need to get out of the cab, it's open to the back. It has everything in it and he takes it anywhere a four wheel drive vehicle can go.

Trailers are kind of a pain...you have to unhook it, get it set up, you are limited where you can take it, etc. Sure, you get used to it and develop a rhythm for getting it in place, but the one vehicle does it all thing has the most appeal to me.

I kinda, sorta have this fantasy about selling my place, my rental properties, all the accoutrements of the household and buying a really nice RV and living like a nomad. Do the snowbird thing...live in parks for a few weeks, then hit the boonies for a few more. I wouldn't want to deal with a trailer.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

4. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't buy a trailer. I'd get a self contained RV...a cabover camper or perhaps a nicely equipped 4X Sprinter. Park it and your'e good to go.
    Our first RV was just that, a fully enclosed self-driving V10 Jayco. We decided that detachable was better for this reason: As I would also go out first to hold a portion of woods, I'd usually be out 2 days in advance of the larger group. On one particular trip, I discovered that most of the electronics in the rig (to include the generator) were not working. I had to pack up the entire camp and drive to the nearest town for repairs. What a pain! Now that we can detach, we can just drive the truck back into town for supplies, etc - without having to pack up the entire camp.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

6. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I guess in twotimers idea, one could tow a vehicle behind them.

Set up camp and have a vehicle to chase around in.

If that is not the idea, then I would opt for brutes method.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

This is what I'm talking about.

Looks like my copied image didn't make it...google Tiger cabover camper.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    This seems like a good place for this.

Isn't this how those sand trap rappelling anchors work? Ha ha

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

11. Likes twotimer liked this post
    Yeah man...at least put a zip tie on the cotter pin, huh? This has to be a joke picture.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Please ask your friend if I can buy his Tiger. I think they only made like two of those.

When he says NO WAY! ask him what you should then buy.

Then tell us.

OK?
    KTM 625 SXC
    KTM 250R FreeRide
    Montesa 315R Long Ride
    KTM 400 EXC Dual Sport
    Yamaha TY250C
    Yamaha TY175C
    BMW R1100S
    Yamaha IT250J
    Honda TLR200
    Yamaha CT2
    Honda XR600R
    A bunch of stuff that doesn't run....

So we rented a 31 foot trailer for the weekend and we really enjoyed it. We took it out to Moab and unhooked (in less than 10 minutes) and then we were able to use our 4x4 from our truck to get places which an RV (or our van) couldn't. We spent a few days down there and then hooked it back up (in about 5 minutes) and we were on the road again.

We loved having the ability to take showers, sleep comfortably, cook, and still share a campfire and be in the outdoors. I would say that a trailer in our future, it is just a matter of affording it.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post

This is what I'm talking about.

Looks like my copied image didn't make it...google Tiger cabover camper.
    It doesn't even have a slide out...

This is more my style. AND, I can still use the truck when I'm not playing.

Name:  Arctic_Fox_Camper_1150_Elegant_Truffle_(1).jpg
Views: 205
Size:  67.0 KB

Name:  Arctic_Fox_Camper_1150_Elegant_Truffle_(4).jpg
Views: 203
Size:  81.2 KB

https://springbarcanvas.com/?gclid=C...4aAnUbEALw_wcB

Love my Springbar tent.

I have an older camp trailer if somebody wants to buy it. I think its 1978 Nomad. 19'. Stove works and water works to the sink. Pipe could be fixed to make the bathroom and shower work easily, but I didn't care about it. Pretty basic trailer. Sleeps 6. $1200.

I had a nice toy hauler, but got sick of looking at it sitting at my house. I sleep in my 4runner or in my tents close to 30 nights per year. Trailer hasn't left my house for at least 18 months I bet

After having to follow a truck towing a trailer on I-15 in the fast lane for about 10 miles today, which was against the signs/law, for the love of all that is good, if you have a trailer, stay out of the fast lane!!!! :) That is all. Carry on.
    Life is Good

18. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    After having to follow a truck towing a trailer on I-15 in the fast lane for about 10 miles today, which was against the signs/law, for the love of all that is good, if you have a trailer, stay out of the fast lane!!!! :) That is all. Carry on.
    Hear hear! In fact, let's start ticketing all left lane slow drivers. Unless it's rush hour the left lane should be used as a passing only lane.

If I was single and could spend extended periods in the desert, this is what I would want https://aero-continental.com/builds-1/

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    Hear hear! In fact, let's start ticketing all left lane slow drivers. Unless it's rush hour the left lane should be used as a passing only lane.

If I was single and could spend extended periods in the desert, this is what I would want https://aero-continental.com/builds-1/
    One of these would be very nice to have! I wonder how much it would cost for a stripped down version. Just the shell maybe...
    Since I have to ask, I won't be able to afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    One of these would be very nice to have! I wonder how much it would cost for a stripped down version. Just the shell maybe...
    Since I have to ask, I won't be able to afford it.
    That's cool. They stripped down some of the truck parts and make it look like a trailer and bed in one. Is it spacious on the inside though?

I spent years researching Travel Trailers and it's best if you can get to an RV show that has many different styles that you can actually spend some time in.

Storage was an issue for me so that meant size was an issue as well. I really only needed enough room for two people and I wanted to be able to take it on unimproved roads/BLM land.

I also wanted to be able to haul gear and either a quad or a dual sport bike.

I don't mind camping and didn't need a ton of the niceties that comes with the bigger RVs so this is what I ended up with:

Name:  2018-forest-river-rockwood-camp-a122thesp-8776-1.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  110.5 KB
    -------
    Jeff

"Be who you are, say what you feel.
    Because those that mind don't matter and,
    those that matter don't mind"

~Dr. Suess~

23. Likes Rob L, devo_stevo, oldno7 liked this post