Thread: 3/17/18 - Crumbling Canyon - Spanish Fork Canyon

Blog Entries

3/17/18 - Crumbling Canyon - Spanish Fork Canyon

Name:  Crumbling Canyon - Topo 1.jpg
Views: 2215
Size:  97.8 KB

I was first told about this conglomerate slot canyon from one of my rock-climbing friends online. He sent me a PM (private message) on Reddit if I have heard anything about this particular canyon - I haven't.

He sent the beta for it which listed 4 rappels up to 45 feet and the gps coords for the entrance, drop-in, and exit. He also included two pictures. It definitely got my attention, compared to the other "slots" people have told me about in the Salt Lake Valley (for example, a person about 10 years back told me on the Zion Shuttle about this great "slot" canyon called "rocky mouth canyon". I googled it and came across Shane's website. It's just a waterfall in a tiny, tiny gorge. So, when I first saw these pictures it looked like the famous Box Canyon in Maple Canyon, near the Manti area. It "wasn't", he assured me when I asked him about it.

There was no name for it for what he could see, thus our name "Crumbling Canyon". And to be clear, this is NOT a first descent. The last rappel was bolted. My guess is that it was placed fairly recent. Maybe within the last 5-10 years. And so I know for sure, people have also explored it, rappelled it and name it. But what? No idea. Even a Google search of "Spanish fork rappelling" or "Spanish fork technical canyons" or "Spanish fork slot canyon" results in nothing. Perhaps private property is why it's not published?? It's not, I checked. I think most people just didnt know about it. Perhaps hikers have known about it for a long time, but they don't see it compared to our canyoneering "eyes". Any narrow passage gets our heartbeats up when we hear about one!

So, I'm sure as this grows in popularity it was also develop other names. I called it "Noob Canyon" because it was quite easy, fun, but short. If you are an experienced leader but want to take a bunch of noobs, this would be a good location to have some hands-on experience with what real canyoneering is somewhat about: bushwhacking, down-climbing, going through an *actual* slot canyon and a rappel (of 45 ft). This would be a treat for them. If you have kids who enjoy this stuff too, they will think it's the coolest stuff ever.

Now, I believe this is the closest "slot" canyon to Salt Lake City now. It is about a 25 minute drive from Provo.
    From Highway 6 on this road, be sure to close the gate behind you. That's all what the sign says "please close gate". Please respect the area.

Name:  IMG_1739.jpg
Views: 1799
Size:  59.7 KB

From the parking area (just find a spot that isn't block the road), head up the "road" for 0.15 miles until you see what I have called "the two towers". This small box canyon your entrance. Take this all the way through (with no technical challenges) up until you hit the ridge line to your north). It's steep and time consuming, but it no-time you will be there.

Name:  IMG_1742.jpg
Views: 1278
Size:  76.9 KB

Look for the "The Two Towers" on both sides of the entrance canyon

Name:  IMG_1850.jpg
Views: 1229
Size:  81.5 KB

Follow the box canyon up, which has no technical challenges, to the north to the top of the ridge.

Name:  IMG_1852.jpg
Views: 1292
Size:  234.6 KB

Once you hit the ridge line, head east to the top.

Name:  IMG_1758.jpg
Views: 1302
Size:  113.0 KB

Once at the top, head back down into the next drainage over to your east.

Name:  IMG_1759.jpg
Views: 1247
Size:  67.2 KB

**We will warn you and say you that you must choose the best path for you and your group's ability.**

My rock climbing friend said that people would rappel into the canyon. We didn't. We down-climbed. And while it wasn't overly difficult, there were some exposure along with many tripping hazards (conglomerate rock). Be alert, especially if you have young kids. Perhaps pull out a 50-ft hand-line here or find a natural anchor to rappel into. Choose your own adventure!

Name:  IMG_1760.jpg
Views: 1258
Size:  161.2 KB

Chris navigating us down a path.

Name:  IMG_1768.jpg
Views: 1258
Size:  166.8 KB

The conglomerate slot. Hidden in plain sight. Look closely. About two hundred feet from the entrance.

Name:  IMG_1776.jpg
Views: 1245
Size:  308.7 KB

At the entrance!

Name:  IMG_1784.jpg
Views: 1297
Size:  310.2 KB

For us, we down-climbed the entire canyon except for the last rappel. If you want to down-climb, it's straightforward and easy. If not, this tree that guards the entrance could be used as a natural anchor to rappel from. Keep in mind, rappelling a large group will take a large amount of time. Consider down-climbing to keep people moving in that scenario. If not, do what's best for you and your group. (The picture below is kind of misleading, the down-climb is not pictured but is located to your right. It's a 6 ft down-climb onto a ledge, followed by another 6-ft down-climb.)

Name:  IMG_1790.jpg
Views: 1234
Size:  274.5 KB

At downclimb #2. This was about 6ft and straighforward. Chris used a rope to lower his backpack.

Name:  IMG_1802.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  221.2 KB

At the bottom of downclimb #2.

Name:  IMG_1808.jpg
Views: 1205
Size:  241.0 KB

Past this, walk another 30ft to the next downclimb (#3). This one is about 6 ft as well. Fun!

Name:  IMG_1814.jpg
Views: 1261
Size:  174.7 KB

20 feet past the downclimb (#3) is a squeeze in the canyon in which you have to crawl under. Not tight at all.

Name:  IMG_1820.jpg
Views: 1241
Size:  280.5 KB

"The Squeeze"

Name:  IMG_1825.jpg
Views: 1278
Size:  225.7 KB

From here it was about another 50 feet to the end of the canyon, however there is a giant hole in the ground. Oh...it only drops 35+ feet to the canyon floor! So yes, be very careful in this area of your footing. Especially if you bring younger kids. They could easily fall through and bang their heads all the way down like a ping-pong ball. You *could* die if you weren't careful in this particular spot. And part of the rappel is a bombay section, which means while it might be narrow at the top, it opens up at the bottom and drops you however many feet. Don't be stupid and pay attention as you hook everyone up for the rappel.

Name:  IMG_1828.jpg
Views: 1268
Size:  242.1 KB

The end of the canyon is marked by a single-bolt located on the left side of the canyon. The rappel was 40feet and our 100ft rope double-stranded reached the bottom with just the perfect amount. The rope pull was easy so no issues here.

Name:  IMG_1831.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  262.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1837.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  240.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1837.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  240.7 KB

This marks the end of the canyon.

Name:  IMG_1842.jpg
Views: 1207
Size:  239.7 KB

From here, follow the drainage back for 0.30 miles back to your vehicle where you can recount your stories of heroism, bravery, courage, and to the clapping of "hundreds of spectators cheering you on" (canyoneering inside-joke). Or you could just tell them that you did an "ok" canyon.

Name:  IMG_1843.jpg
Views: 1244
Size:  280.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1849.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  294.5 KB

At the end of the canyon. Follow the drainage back down the road for 0.30 miles back to your car. Simple as that.

Here's the GPS coords:
    Turn off from Highway 6: N39°59'48.32", W111°24'21.19"
    Park in this area: N40° 0'5.09", W111°24'25.28"
    Entrance canyon: N40° 0'12.62", W111°24'20.55"
    Ridge: N40° 0'24.83", W111°24'16.48"
    Canyon: N40° 0'22.65"N, W111°24'12.81"
    Exit: N40° 0'16.99", W111°24'11.76"

Stats:
    1-2 hours needed
    0.90 miles round-trip
    1 mandatory rap at 40 feet. A 100-foot rope worked perfect
    3 other drops could be raps, be they are easily downclimbed. They range from 6 feet to 12 feet.
    No water encountered.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. Likes devo_stevo, twotimer, Sombeech liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Pretty cool TR. Thanks for the share.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

5. Likes jman liked this post
    I've always heard it referred to as Horse C**k Canyon. Not sure why, though.

Name:  IMG_4328.JPG
Views: 1377
Size:  175.7 KB
    Blog | FB

7. Likes jman liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Udink View Post
    I've always heard it referred to as Horse C**k Canyon. Not sure why, though.

Name:  IMG_4328.JPG
Views: 1377
Size:  175.7 KB
    Lol. Nice.

I’m sure it’s a climbers name. We saw some climbers about a 1/2 mile away closer to the road on a cool looking crag. And all that conglomerates makes for some fun variety I’m sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post

I’m sure it’s a climbers name.
    I dated a gal in the late 90s who was a hippie chick/feminist...she was also a rock climber. We had a lot of fun, but didn't last long. Anyway, she would always complain about all the sexual connotations and names associated with climbing..."nuts", a "rack", features like the one above, etc...I told her "It's a man's world, honey". She didn't like that.

Well, if you can't go to southern Utah, bring it to you, eh? I like you're little squeeze section! Milk that puppy for all it's worth.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

10. Likes jman liked this post
    It has been called Horse Cock Canyon for at least as long as I've been around. Probably from turn of the century cattlemen. Certainly long before anyone tried to use gear to climb.

This might be the same slot The Dye Clan have on their website.

http://dyeclan.com/outdooractivities...eering/?id=408

12. Likes jman liked this post

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    It has been called Horse Cock Canyon for at least as long as I've been around. Probably from turn of the century cattlemen. Certainly long before anyone tried to use gear to climb.

Nice find. I was hoping someone would have some more info about it.

Looks like dye did it back in 2016 on their report.

When you search for horse cock canyon on Google, only one report comes up which is Dyes report. I’m surprised there are not more. And mountain project has a post about it for climbing too.

So now it has an official name lolz - “Horse Cock Canyon”. Better tell my mom the real name now. Lolz

"SEND IT, BRO!!"

I do like the name "Crumbling Canyon" and hope it sticks.

16. Likes jman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post

Yup, definitely the same canyon. I'm not a huge fan of the name either, that's just the name that was passed on to us.

18. Likes Iceaxe, jman liked this post
    I also love the name Crumbling Canyon!

During the tightest section did you happen to explore that side drainage on the rdc?! Cool part of the canyon. It's a squeeze but actually puts you into an optional loop that meets back up with the main canyon but has some fun scrambling. Not something I've seen in a canyon because in the sandstone, the water just picks the path of least resistance and cuts it deeper. Plenty of forks going up canyon but only confluences going down canyon.

If you enjoy ghosting or 'freeing'...the entire canyon can be downclimbed. For the final rap just work your way up canyon into the crack as you climb down to avoid the worst part of the Bombay. Conglomerate can be very unpredictable and holds can break free. Take a rope regardless, and use your own judgement and self assessment here. I would rate the down climb as x-

Great TR and pictures! It was fun to have something so close to home. I should make another trip up there.

20. Likes jman liked this post
    The cliffs for climbing portion of the canyon is called horse cock canyon on mountain project (a climber's site)

22. Likes jman liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah Canyoneer View Post
    I also love the name Crumbling Canyon!

During the tightest section did you happen to explore that side drainage on the rdc?! Cool part of the canyon. It's a squeeze but actually puts you into an optional loop that meets back up with the main canyon but has some fun scrambling. Not something I've seen in a canyon because in the sandstone, the water just picks the path of least resistance and cuts it deeper. Plenty of forks going up canyon but only confluences going down canyon.

If you enjoy ghosting or 'freeing'...the entire canyon can be downclimbed. For the final rap just work your way up canyon into the crack as you climb down to avoid the worst part of the Bombay. Conglomerate can be very unpredictable and holds can break free. Take a rope regardless, and use your own judgement and self assessment here. I would rate the down climb as x-

Great TR and pictures! It was fun to have something so close to home. I should make another trip up there.
    Excellent. Thanks for the report back.

I don’t recall that side-drainage portion... do you have any pics of it?

And yes, I did contemplate down-climbing that last section but I wanted to experience the rap in that section this go around.

"SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Excellent. Thanks for the report back.

I don’t recall that side-drainage portion... do you have any pics of it?

Here is a link to the video https://youtu.be/lvuFXo6Z1G4
    Everything from 2:28-2:45 is in the side loop fork.

The side fork is right after the final down climb. There are some pictures of it on the "Dec 2016 trip report" on the Dyeclan site. Where it says "overview" you can select the trip reports and interactive map tabs.

Rereading my trip report reminded me that I wanted to do it as an 'up and back' canyon next time

@jman I just realized you have a picture of the fork in your tr. It is in the "squeeze" picture

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah Canyoneer View Post
    @jman I just realized you have a picture of the fork in your tr. It is in the "squeeze" picture
    Okay, I see where you mean now. Thanks.

And yea good idea - an up and down route...

"SEND IT, BRO!!"

So we did Crumbling Canyon last Sunday. It was better then I expected and is certainly worth doing one day if you are bored. Here is a short video I shot of the slot. Notice I only canyoneer with major hotties....

Thanks @jman for the beta.

Great TR. Thanks for the info!
    Deb

29. Likes jman liked this post