Thread: Dropped a Coyote

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar

Dropped a Coyote

I was ATV'ing the last few days in the Green River, UT area. On Saturday morning, I was heading for the Tushar Canyon gate when this coyote just started to tear after me. I unholstered my .45 and at about 15', put two rounds into this Coyote, with the first blowing his lower jaw off, but not quite stopping it and the 2nd round hitting it high on the right upper shoulder, causing it to slide straight toward me.

I generally ignore coyotes and mountain lions when I see them, but it was odd that this one went after me, so I just assume it was sick or starving or something.

Heard there was a $50 bounty on Yotes, but this one only cost me 2x .45!

On Edit, I removed the photo as some may declare it too graphic.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Would still like to see the images. Just post a disclaimer for those with weak constitutions...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Whoa! I've seen a bunch of 'em but have never had one charge. Crazy!
    Yeah, just post a disclaimer for the photo. Post it after our comments, then someone would have to scroll down to see it.
    Are we there yet?

Oh heck...just google "Coyote with head blown off".
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

6. Likes BruteForce liked this post
    Here's the most tame photo I have.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gnarly dude...I would have shot that things face off too if it were coming after me.

I paint houses for a living. On this one job, a single lady had a killer trained German Shepard. One of those women who's paranoid there's a rapist behind every bush. She told me that when I went to the backyard, I had to let her know so she would bring it inside. Yeah well, she spaced out once and I went thru the gate.

I was about halfway across this big back yard when that dog comes charging around the corner. I've always thought that if a dog charged me, I'd stand my ground and kick it in the face when it got close.

BULLSHIT! Fight or flight baby...I took off for that gate with all the speed I could muster. I barley made it. That dog was pissed. I chewed that lady out real good, but she was nonchalant about it. That dog would have torn me to pieces.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Hope ya got a bonus
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    Gnarly dude...I would have shot that things face off too if it were coming after me.

I paint houses for a living. On this one job, a single lady had a killer trained German Shepard. One of those women who's paranoid there's a rapist behind every bush. She told me that when I went to the backyard, I had to let her know so she would bring it inside. Yeah well, she spaced out once and I went thru the gate.

I was about halfway across this big back yard when that dog comes charging around the corner. I've always thought that if a dog charged me, I'd stand my ground and kick it in the face when it got close.

BULLSHIT! Fight or flight baby...I took off for that gate with all the speed I could muster. I barley made it. That dog was pissed. I chewed that lady out real good, but she was nonchalant about it. That dog would have torn me to pieces.
    Wait for it: https://www.facebook.com/WVTM13/vide...kE&pnref=story
    Are we there yet?

11. Likes rockgremlin, BruteForce, twotimer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    I got REAL lucky. If I had taken just one more step before that dog saw me, I'd have been toast. She told me when I met her that her dog was trained to shred. Thank God I'm fast...that was full on primal. That whole notion of fighting off the animal goes right out the window, you just run. Damn near greased my shorts on that one.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

13. Likes BruteForce liked this post
    My Brother in Law s a retired SWAT/K9 officer. One year on the "Night out against Crime" demonstration at a community picnic he asked if I wanted to put on the full bite suit and be the "perp". Thinking I have been around dogs my whole life that I have a pretty good grasp of them, I said sure. Having a service dog rag doll my 195 lb ass was a trip. They ran several scenarios that all ended with me face down and pinned by the 120 lb pooch. It's just a game to the dog - when he would call it off it would run back to him to get his favorite toy to play with. After taking off the bite suit the dog just wanted me to play, rub it's belly and all. After seeing how easily it could have the visciousness turned on and off I was amazed at what a loveable pup it was.

15. Likes tallsteve, BruteForce liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    I completely agree. I learned a valuable lesson that day and have since corrected it. The holster for my .45 has 2x clasps to keep the gun secured. It took far too much time to retrieve the .45 than I cared for. I have since purchased (and have setup) a Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster that not only holds the .45 very secure, but requires one button push to retrieve the weapon!

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Hope ya got a bonus
    Not sure what that means. If you're referring to the States bounty on Coyotes, then no. Trust me, I'd rather not put down a wild animal if it could be avoided (unless its hunting season, of course), but this was an unusual situation to be sure.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    Not sure what that means. If you're referring to the States bounty on Coyotes, then no. Trust me, I'd rather not put down a wild animal if it could be avoided (unless its hunting season, of course), but this was an unusual situation to be sure.

No--I was referring to twotimer and his painting contract.

I have zero problem with killing coyotes, which are legal to shoot year round.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

19. Likes BruteForce liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post

Who let the dogs out!!

That guy got mangled. Did you see all the blood on the pavement? Maybe that was from the haymakers that cop was raining down on him while he was laying flat on his back.

That's classic police brutality right there. Don't know how anyone could claim differently.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Heard there was a $50 bounty on Yotes, but this one only cost me 2x .45!

Problem with the bounty is you need to pass the dwr online test and you have to bring in the lower jaw, tail, or whole dog if you can keep it cool until the scheduled pick up times.
    "Idontgiveshitjustdothedew"