Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I need a new bike

There is s Pivot rep selling off some demo fleet bikes... has a Mach 5.5 listed on MTBEU - look in Facebook.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    I eyeballed that bike when you started this thread and that one jumped out. That thing is nicely equipped, ready to go.

Tough, isn't it? So many choices. I looked around quite a bit before I bought the ones that I have. It'll happen though...when you look at it and ride it, just like that (snaps fingers). Search finally over.
    Yeah, that is the nice thing. Bikes are so good these days that you would really have to work to find one that you didn't have fun on.

I pulled my bike out of the garage about a month ago figuring I may as well start riding since it doesn't snow in Utah anymore. So of course the last 5 weeks have been fantastic skiing. If I knew that was all it took, I'd have started bike shopping in November.

I ended up pulling the trigger on the Intense Primer and I really dig it. I was able to get a little trail time on a SC 5010, Spec FSR, Pivot 5.5, Ibis Mojo3 and a Norco Sight. But the Primer did it for me. It climbs better than my Trance for sure, but where it really shines is on the downs. I am still in ski shape, but I am setting all sorts of Strava PR's on descents. I have always liked the climb as much as the down, but I think this bike is gonna change that a bit. I was in Moab a few days ago with the family and took a quick lap on Captain Ahab and maybe it was some placebo effect, but I was clearing all sorts of obstacles that I think I would have eaten it on in the past.

Sadly I dented a rim the other day and it will no longer hold a bead so I had to throw down for a new wheel since those scum bags at Mavic didn't offer that particular rim as a standalone item. Also not a huge fan of the Maxxis Forecaster tires so I think I will go with a DHF 2.5 up front and an Aggressor 2.3 in the back. A little bigger than I usually go, but what the hell. I am in the mood to go too fast for a while.

6. Likes double moo, tallsteve, devo_stevo liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    I ended up pulling the trigger on the Intense Primer and I really dig it. I was able to get a little trail time on a SC 5010, Spec FSR, Pivot 5.5, Ibis Mojo3 and a Norco Sight. But the Primer did it for me. It climbs better than my Trance for sure, but where it really shines is on the downs. I am still in ski shape, but I am setting all sorts of Strava PR's on descents. I have always liked the climb as much as the down, but I think this bike is gonna change that a bit. I was in Moab a few days ago with the family and took a quick lap on Captain Ahab and maybe it was some placebo effect, but I was clearing all sorts of obstacles that I think I would have eaten it on in the past.

Sadly I dented a rim the other day and it will no longer hold a bead so I had to throw down for a new wheel since those scum bags at Mavic didn't offer that particular rim as a standalone item. Also not a huge fan of the Maxxis Forecaster tires so I think I will go with a DHF 2.5 up front and an Aggressor 2.3 in the back. A little bigger than I usually go, but what the hell. I am in the mood to go too fast for a while.
    Pics?
    Are we there yet?

8. Likes double moo liked this post
    I'm bad at taking photos, so this is the best I have.

Name:  Primer.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  418.3 KBName:  moab 2.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  135.6 KB

10. Likes devo_stevo, accadacca liked this post

I need a new bike

Nice Ride! The Salsa El Santo sorta had that color a few years ago. I dig it!

So I'm going to hijack uintahfly's thread to admit that I too need a new bike. @accadacca may recall the last mountain bike I acquired: That old Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo hardtail with tucked rear tire.

Here I am in mountain biking heaven and I don't have a usable bike. Anybody here looking to offload a decent set of wheels?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    So I'm going to hijack uintahfly's thread to admit that I too need a new bike. @accadacca may recall the last mountain bike I acquired: That old Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo hardtail with tucked rear tire.

Here I am in mountain biking heaven and I don't have a usable bike. Anybody here looking to offload a decent set of wheels?
    Starting looking on KSL Classifieds.

Well.... it just so happens that I'm selling a couple of bikes, now that I've got my new bike.

I'm a little hesitant though, it is nice to have a spare bike for the occasional friend to come along on a ride.

I've got my Kona Stinky, it's a good All Mountain Bike. It's a little heavier so it's ok on the cross country but solid enough to handle the downhill stuff.

Then I've got my old Downhill rig, the Iron Horse. This is a solid unit, not suggested for cross country or climbing, but mainly a shuttle bike. You can cross country and climb with it, but it's a heavy beast and not really meant for it. I've done my share of walking uphill with it though and bombing down.

I keep meaning to post these on KSL and Facebook to sell, I just haven't gotten around to it. I don't even know what price I'd ask, probably around 400 each though. But for a Platinum member? Dang let me get my discount calculator out.

New tires, ergonomic grips, and nice mini bogley stickers on each. Hide yo wife hide yo kids.

The Kona

The Downhill Iron Horse

no pressure though. But if you buy, I think I've got a set of bronze Truck Nuts that I could throw in and you could hang from the seat.

16. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Two questions...what's your budget and what type of riding are you going to be doing?
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I've done my share of walking uphill with it though...
    No sugar coating it there. lol! Now I wont be able to keep up with you on the e-bike!

Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    Two questions...what's your budget and what type of riding are you going to be doing?
    Looking for a good All Mountain bike for not more than $400.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

You might find a nice hardtail for that or an older 26er.... but I think you need to try and find a little more in your budget to get anything descent built in the past decade if you want a full squishy.

For example.... when you posted this I was thinking about putting my 2012 Salsa Spearfish II up for sale. It's a cross-country bike and I was thinking $800. But I was also thinking at that price I'd prefer to keep it as my back up. Anyhoo.... that might give you some idea about the bike you can get in that price range. The Salsa listed for $3200 when new and it's faster then a scared rabbit.

YMMV

Name:  20150822_102556.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  239.2 KB

What size is that bike Shane?

Oh, God...
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

I need a new bike

Right on budget. It’s even the pro model.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/29-Mongoos...Black/16913467

Name:  P3040008.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  76.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    What size is that bike Shane?
    No kidding...it looks way too small. Looks like he's 5'10" riding a kids bike...could be the camera/photo though. Check out this monster...looks like it's way too big for me but it's a medium...photo kinda plays tricks.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?