Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a new bike

I need a new bike

I know this is typically a politics forum, but I need a new bike and maybe you all can give me some advice.

What are some good choices for bike that is used 90% of the time on non lift accessed, no shuttled Wasatch trails? I'll usually get out 2-4 times a week for a few hours each and do rides like Flying Dog, Big Water to Crest, Crest to Mill D, Mueller, etc. I usually get over to PC at least once a week and link up various trails for a 12-18 mile day. Maybe once a month I'll do a bigger (30 miles) ride like Park City epic. My ego says get a big mean enduro machine, but in reality I don't rage on the downs, and anything I go down I climb up. I kinda like the new Intense Sniper Trail that just came out. 120mm travel 29er with modern slack geometry in a 25 lb package. No way to ride one though without buying first. What are you all riding for these types of conditions?

2. Likes jman, rockgremlin liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I need a new bike

I’ve really liked my Giant Trance. It really depends on your budget. How much do you want to spend? Go-Ride has demo bikes.

I didn’t want to spend as much. I looked at Santa Cruz, Cannondale and other bigger brands and feel like I got more bike with my Giant. I got a seat dropper, fox suspension and a decent component group (Shimano SLX). I have upgraded the brakes to XT and went tubless. Otherwise it’s pretty much stock.

I like a cross country bike with a decent amount of suspension for downhill, but not overboard to still make it climb ok. Maybe I’ll get a 29er next time when I’m ready to shatter my Strava times.

I ride the same terrain you do, 4 times a week or so on a Trek Procaliber 9.8. It's technically a hard-tail but has a pivot point where the top tube and seat post meet to soften the ride a tad. XT drivetrain. Carbon frame, carbon wheels, carbon bar. On a hard tail, carbon makes a world of difference for ride damping. It weighs in at about 23 lbs. Not bad for an XXL size. If I were to buy new, full squish, I'd go with the Trek Top Fuel (more my style). More travel I'd go Fuel EX. Yes, I work occasionally at a Trek dealer and can get the best deal on them but, I've owned a lot of different brands and they have been the best so far. For non Trek brand, I'd take a serious look at a Rocky Mountain or Scott. Have you ridden one with Plus size tires (2.8")? The more I demo them, the more I like them. They're just fun!
    Are we there yet?

Lucky me, I have the best of both worlds...a 100mm Trek Superfly and a Yeti SB6 for the rough stuff.

If I could only have one bike, it would be the Yeti. I love my Trek, and I ride it a lot, but the Yeti climbs nearly as well and soaks up the bumps with EASE. Like you, I'm not a super gonzo rider hucking off cliffs and such...I don't want to get hurt, so I take it easy. The long travel makes it safer when you ride a trail with features.

If you're going to use the bike exclusively for the trails you mentioned, then a 120 will work nicely, especially with it less than 28lbs. However, if you expand a bit and start riding in a place like Moab, you'll wish you had more squish. That's why I have two bikes...I love Moab.

I checked out those Intense bikes, and they look great...personally, I'd buy one with 140 or 150 to hit the middle ground. A one bike quiver, as they call it.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

...and, if you haven't ridden a bike with a dropper, get one. Game changer! Even just for x-country type rides. I didn't think I'd use mine much but, I use it all the time and would never get another bike without one now. Of course, my center of gravity is way up there (6'8") so any thing to get down lower is going to benefit me. So, unless you're 5 foot nothing, game changer.
    Are we there yet?

8. Likes twotimer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    I know this is typically a politics forum.....

Another quote of the month candidate...

Yeah, I'd trust Acca's advice. Ever since I've known him (like 6th grade), he's always had the sweetest mountain bike setups. It was tough to keep up with him on my Schwinn two-speed with banana seat.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

10. Likes accadacca liked this post
    Yeah, I've got a dropper on both my bikes...couldn't imagine riding without one.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

12. Likes tallsteve liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    I’ve really liked my Giant Trance. It really depends on your budget. How much do you want to spend? Go-Ride has demo bikes.

I didn’t want to spend as much. I looked at Santa Cruz, Cannondale and other bigger brands and feel like I got more bike with my Giant. I got a seat dropper, fox suspension and a decent component group (Shimano SLX). I have upgraded the brakes to XT and went tubless. Otherwise it’s pretty much stock.

I like a cross country bike with a decent amount of suspension for downhill, but not overboard to still make it climb ok. Maybe I’ll get a 29er next time when I’m ready to shatter my Strava times.
    My current bike is actually a Trance. I think it's a 2013 model. I don't hate it, but I don't love it, it seems to lack a personality. Climbs ok, but not great, descends ok but not great, Not a big tank, but not light either by any means. Just kinda middle of the road. It does have a dropper though, and have to agree that I'd never ride without one now. I probably would wait another year or two to upgrade, but at the end of last year I wasn't paying enough attention loading the bike and it got jammed up next to by buddies pedal on a shaky rack, and the pedal basically rubbed through the entire rear triangle.

I'm a total ski nerd and usually buy and sell 2-3 skis a year and feel weird if I don't have a nice 6-8 ski quiver. I've even been known to ski 3 different skis in the same day as conditions change (yes, I am aware I have a problem). But I'm pretty much the opposite on my bikes. Buy 1 and ride it. Rarely upgrade anything on it unless it breaks. So I definitely want a 1 bike quiver. But I can't decide to go a little bigger on the suspension, kinda in the Norco Sight or Santa Cruz Bronson range, or to go a little more XC like a 5010 or the like. No doubt I'd be a little happier on the 1 or 2 days riding lifts at Deer Valley and the once a year Moab trip with the bigger boys, but I'd probably be happier the other 80% of the time something lighter and smaller. (Sorry Steve, don't think I can ever go hard tail with a 1 bike quiver).

I'm thinking a budget in the $4-$6 range should get me a sweet bike that will make me more than happy for the next 6 years or so. But which one? Maybe I should have posted this in the 1st world problems thread.

Edit: I did ride a + bike a little bit the other day. Ibis Mojo 3. Seemed like a fun bike but I was right between the medium and large and couldn't get real comfy on either.

Take a look at the Trek Fuel.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

I generally buy whatever bike my uncle Mark is selling

I really like the Scott bikes. Might be the next bike for me.

Another of my Giant...

Well heck, since we're throwin' down pics of the loved ones...and no, that's not a roll of quarters in my pocket.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

19. Likes accadacca liked this post
    I'll Play... Pivot Mach 6

Name:  20180315_224351.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  90.7 KB

21. Likes twotimer, accadacca liked this post
    Post up some options when get it narrowed down.

Name:  IMG_0179.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  50.2 KB

That Pivot is an awesome bike. When I wanted to buy a squishy, it was a tossup (literally) between that bike and the SB6. The Yeti won by a coin flip.

It appears that you have the stock 50mm stem. All these long travel bikes come with 50s, it seems. The cockpit on my bike felt a little tight so I swiped mine out for a 60mm and I made a HUGE difference in the way the bike felt while pedaling the flats, especially. You might wanna check that out if having the handlebar right on top of the headset feels weird...but maybe you're a gonzo rider and it feels fine. My friends who like to get airborne like it short.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Good tip! I've had this bike a little over 2 years and really feel comfortable on it. Never hurts to try something different- might make it all the better.

I did put on an E-thirteen 9-46 cassette recently. Higher highs and lower lows... still getting used to the gearing shift points, but liking the low end so far.

A friend of mine has that Pivot...he told me his choice, like mine, was between that bike and the Yeti. He chose the Pivot because the cockpit on the Yeti "felt tight"...I said, "Ya know, you're right"! With the seat all the way up and just cruising along, I frequently felt like I wanted to stretch out just a little more...something I wouldn't even think about when standing on the pedals...which is what I'm mostly doing when I ride this bike!

Anyway, that gave me the idea for the extra 10mm. I'm only 5'9" but I've got a long back. If you're good to go, then great...but if you want to stretch out just a little, the stem is the way to go. It "feels" better than moving the seat back on it's rails.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

I took a spin on the new Pivot Mach 5.5 the other day. It’s a damn sexy bike In red. But they’re awful proud of em. The one I was on was $6,200.

I work with a guy who loves his Intense Primer, and he’s gonna let me take it for a spin when we have dry trails. Similar to the spider I posted earlier, but in a twenty niner and with a little more travel. Gets good reviews too.

https://intensecycles.com/collection...imer-pro-build

27. Likes twotimer liked this post
    I eyeballed that bike when you started this thread and that one jumped out. That thing is nicely equipped, ready to go.

Tough, isn't it? So many choices. I looked around quite a bit before I bought the ones that I have. It'll happen though...when you look at it and ride it, just like that (snaps fingers). Search finally over.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?