Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to camp w/ family this Spring Break?

Where to camp w/ family this Spring Break?

I'm pretty sure we are the only family considering traveling to Southern or Central Utah to go camping, so if you could keep this idea from spreading, I'd appreciate it.

We are considering Capitol Reef, maybe the second weekend in April. Where are you guys headed that week? We've done Goblin Valley about a dozen times, we are just looking for a nice chill place for RV / Trailer camping with some hikes for young kids.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Yeah, the crowds should be light in Southern Utah....

4. Likes jman liked this post
    would you consider Cedar Mesa, and camp at Natural Bridges Nat. Mon. (or camp at an unpaved location) - short hikes to at least to some of the bridges, and other shortish hikes in the Cedar Mesa area - to ruins and rock art. NBNM does not have RV facilities. There is reportedly fresh water on site (only at the ranger station bldg).

We will be down there the third week, doing long (10-12 miles) and short day trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    wow - what time of year was that photo taken?

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post
    wow - what time of year was that photo taken?
    Looks like the line of cars waiting to get into Arches. You'll pretty much see that any time the weather's descent down there anymore. Seems to be the thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by devo_stevo View Post
    Looks like the line of cars waiting to get into Arches. You'll pretty much see that any time the weather's descent down there anymore. Seems to be the thing to do.
    We had visited Arches May 22, 2013 - good weather, no lines. Some clouds in the sky made for better photos. We did enter the park early, right after breakfast.

Well it looks like Capitol Reef is the place for our family this time. Although I've never been there, it's a major destination I've anticipated visiting most of my life and it's just never happened.

Would you guys suggest any particular places to camp with maybe 4 house trailers and roughly 15 kids? What good day hikes would you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post
    We had visited Arches May 22, 2013 - good weather, no lines. Some clouds in the sky made for better photos. We did enter the park early, right after breakfast.
    You did good. I've noticed an increase in traffic down there in the past 5 years though and it's harder and harder to get there and not have it look like that photo.

Spring and fall are the most popular times of year for good weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

Uh, yeah that’s eastern Utah. Lol

Where to camp w/ family this Spring Break?

I know there are some nice RV parks near Capitol Reef. There are three is Torrey. The one called Thousand Lakes looks nice. I haven’t stayed, but considered it. The one in Fruita would be cool too. I bet they ate full or damn near it.

I’m in the same boat. Late to the party and need a place park and RV in Southern Utah.

What dates are Spring break for you? I know they differ statewide. Spring break in Moab =/= Spring break in SLC =/= Spring break in Cedar City.

Spring break in Ogden this year is the first week in April.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Not from Utah, or even the west, but I've been dreaming about White Pockets lately. ...seems scenic to say the least, and I'm sure crowds won't be a problem...

I usually go back into the Crack Canyon area of the Swell, good hikes, you can get to several. If you do the Crack Canyon hike there is a way to get up and over the drop cause there will be water and if you have little kids it's difficult. You have to pick it up on the left quite aways back, maybe a couple hundred yards. Once you by pass that its a great family hike.

What about close the SLC with an RV for free! Seriously...

There is 5 mile pass or Delle out in the West desert. Any other ideas?

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    I just spent 3 days in Green River. So much to do when staging from that little town!
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

18. Likes accadacca liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    I just spent 3 days in Green River. So much to do when staging from that little town!
    Any chance you can expand upon that?

Quote Originally Posted by mrfritz44 View Post
    Ditto.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfritz44 View Post
    Green River is proximate to the San Rafael Swell; hiking, biking, offroading. Proximate to Moab and right on the Green River for rafting/kayaking. Plus, the added benefit is you won't run into the massive crowds normally accumulating around Moab or the National Parks.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Green River is proximate to the San Rafael Swell; hiking, biking, offroading. Proximate to Moab and right on the Green River for rafting/kayaking. Plus, the added benefit is you won't run into the massive crowds normally accumulating around Moab or the National Parks.
    Is there a good RV park or place to camp remote?

Thank you Sir