Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moderate Yourself

Moderate Yourself

We can’t moderate for you. If you can’t take it, don’t visit certain threads. We can’t control you. We can’t take control of your mouse. We can’t make decisions for you or anyone on this site. Freedom of speech is a blessing, don’t make it a crutch for you.

YOU decide how to visit this site. Including what to read and where to contribute. Don’t give up the fight. It’s really not that hard...

2. Likes DiscGo liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

This seems familiar... circa 2007? I'm just ball parking it.

But do we all still get a participation trophy?

A friend was asking....

Hmmm...looks like there's been some drama round here. Personally, if I get bent about something I'll just post up a picture of me half naked...that usually does the trick.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

This thread has a familiar smell: http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...door-community
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Moderate Yourself

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    What would that chart look like for political discussions or general chit chat topics? I would rather hang around a place that has a variety of topics and chit chat, instead of sausage fest canyoneering talk all day. Sorry, I can only take so much of that. [partly tongue in cheek/]
    Agreed. This thread isn’t about content though. It’s about self moderation and control. Making your own decisions on what you decided to read and where to participate. Putting on big boy pants.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    ...sausage fest canyoneering talk all day....

OK -- I'm hoping my tone doesn't sound offensive or condescending in any way here, but I find it interesting that you would say that. If anything the current state of things right here at Bogley is very much a sausage fest. It didn't used to be like that. We used to have a pretty diverse blend of users. But things have changed. Today it is almost 100% male dominated.

My point is there are other thing to talk about besides canyoneering...

If you have some lady friends you could recruit, I’m sure the bogley faithful wouldn’t complain. Make sure you coach them up to only post trip reports and ignore the other topics. Especially anything offensive. Better yet, only recruit people with thick skin.

12. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    I see your point. And I will echo your sentiments by reiterating that we're all adults here, and ought to know how to take responsibility for our actions. While it's an easy thing for most people to exercise personal accountability, it's a struggle for others.

All of this said, I do think that Bogley can be better. Nothing in life is immune from improvement, and Bogley is no exception. I think there are a few twerks we can do here and there to improve things. Numerous ideas have been bantered about by several different members, and the following are a few that I would support:

1. Moving anything political to the political section. That's what it's there for. Let's use it as intended. The last thing a new member wants to see (regardless of how thick his/her skin is) is a bunch of threads dozens of pages long arguing politics.

2. Delete/Condense the least used forum sections. We don't have to please everybody. But on the other hand, I think it would benefit everybody by simplifying things for ease of use.

3. Bring back the Bogley luncheons/activities. Getting to know the person at the other end of your mouse is a good thing.

MBGA

Blog Entries

Moderate Yourself

I would argue that most people view Bogley from their phone, which means via the Tapatalk app primarily (since it’s free and is optimized for mobile devices). And with Tapatalk, most people choose “unread threads” to appear at the top first.

So on Bogley, all we see is Iceaxe and oldno7’s consistent posts about Trump. And that’s perfectly fine.

Again, with Tapatalk, that’s all we see is unread threads/posts first. So this is what our feed looks like:

1. Trump
    2. Trump
    3. Guns
    4. Guns for all
    5. Trump never lies
    6. Liberals suck
    7. Jenny’s Canyon, Snow Canyon by DiscGo
    8. Liar Hillary
    9. trump
    10. Trump.
    11. Confederacy and trump
    12. Guns
    13. Guns
    14. We love trump!
    15. Trump
    16. Build the wall!
    17. Trump! trump! Trump!

Out of the above, how many outdoor threads did you see??

I’m exaggerating to make a point. And so now you have multiple those posts 10x daily and you can see why people say it’s a non-outdoor website.

On the computer version of Bogley.com, we can explicitly choose ONLY going to the canyoneering or hiking sections and bypass all of the political talk, general forum, etc.

Again, Tapatalk, we see can see the new TRs but they get BURIED by the daily TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP! posts. Hence the, “Bogley the non-outdoor community” threads.

And the only way to stop the “Trump trump trump!” posts for a general member is to simply select the “ignore users” option and selecting Iceaxe and oldno7. That would literally reduce 90% of the current Bogley content on someone’s Tapatalk view. But Iceaxe also contributes great on Canyoneering and that would suck for them to ignore or miss his contributions too.

I would argue less politics and more outdoor stuff is what more people want but Tapatalk doesn’t easily allow for that.

So that’s the real issue here - Tapatalk views.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

15. Likes DiscGo, rockgremlin liked this post
    ^^^Great points! I hadn't thought of that.

Some may argue against this, but it's something I believe in...generally speaking. Yes, exceptions exist, but...

When a woman is done with you, she's done. Once you go from hero to zero that's it, baby. There 'aint no goin' back.

In other words, maybe this site has become and will stay what it is. They drifted away, likely never to return. Just let it be...

Although I think moving the political stuff would work as a canary in a coal mine...if SOMETHING has to be done.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    Some may argue against this, but it's something I believe in...generally speaking. Yes, exceptions exist, but...

When a woman is done with you, she's done. Once you go from hero to zero that's it, baby. There 'aint no goin' back.

In other words, maybe this site has become and will stay what it is. They drifted away, likely never to return. Just let it be...

Although I think moving the political stuff would work as a canary in a coal mine...if SOMETHING has to be done.

But the effort here is not directed towards "winning back" anybody. It's more directed towards the newcomer or first time user of the site.

And yes, I AM living in a fantasy world....

19. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    You guys just don't get it do ya.... if you want more content or more diverse content then provide it. Content is king, those who post often rule the kingdom.

The reason olno7 and my posts top the list is we are the ones posting and providing content. Canyoneering used to top the forum because I was providing a great deal of the content, topics and cannon fodder. While I still love canyons my interests have diversified and I don't post much in canyons these days. Unless someone asks a specific question I know the answer to I seldom post. At one time I would toss a piece of raw meat into the canyons section at least once a day just to watch the feeding frenzy and provide entertainment similar to what I do now with politics.

At this period in time what is happening in our country fascinates me as I think you have a front row seat to history being made on par with sitting in Henery VIII or Napoleon Bonaparte's court. One day my interest will change again and I'll power a different part of the forum.

So stop being a bunch of whiny little shits and step up and contribute to the section of the forum you want to see action in. It's really simple, just toss out a couple topics, post a couple news stories, ask opinions on controversial topics. And a little hint, while trip reports are great they seldom generate much action other then a bunch of likes.

Anyhoo... if you still haven't figured it out... if you are bitching in this thread wanting others to fix the problems you are part of the problem... instead of whining think about stepping up and making the forum what you desire, it's really not that difficult.

/EndRant

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The reason olno7 and my posts top the list is we are the ones posting and providing content.

Aside from ranting about politics and condescending to just about everybody on this site, what content have you provided lately? Gushing about Trump doesn't qualify as "content."

I'm all ears.

Aside from ranting about politics and condescending to just about everybody on this site, what content have you provided lately? Gushing about Trump doesn't qualify as "content."

I'm all ears.
    Don't be a dumbass.... I'm always at the top of the list because I'm the one doing most the posting (which is content). If you don't like it then fix it! All you have to do is post more and push me down the list or drowned me out with more content. If it wasn't for the political threads and the cry baby threads lately this place would have tumbleweeds blowing through.

And yes, I AM living in a fantasy world....
    Yeah, me too.

Apparently, it appears the some are concerned about Ice and Oldno going apeshit with the politics...and/or uncordial behavior. Perhaps put up a poll...how many people want to see the basement move?

I'd vote yes, but in reality the way this site is and how everyone behaves isn't a problem for me.

And...I don't expect regaining any of those folks that used to hang out here...it's all about the newbies and those that simply have no interest in the politics. Like Jman said, who wants to wade into it? One quick look at what everyone is talking about and they're outta here.

Oh well, I'm just gonna keep swinging my sausage.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Don't be a dumbass.... I'm always at the top of the list because I'm the one doing most the posting (which is content). If you don't like it then it fix it! All you have to do is post more and push me down the list or drowned me out with more content. If it wasn't for the political threads lately this place would have tumbleweeds blowing through.

Can't argue with that...

I just think that site "felt" better when the basement got the action.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

How about we just put a political section under Main instead of in the basement? I don't (and will not) post in the basement because no one goes there. 90% of the reason I make any post is for personal entertainment and to see what fish I can reel in while trolling along.

I still laugh my ass off at all the candyass liberals that don't have the intestinal fortitude to simply not click on a thread titled "Donald Trump". Come on folks, some of you have to at least take on some responsibility.