Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: E bikes?

The main opposition towards ebikes, after each point is debunked such as "peeling out on the trail" or trail damage, or speed, or weight, or noise, or overall danger... all that is left is the fear that trails will be taken away because people will see an ebike and then suddenly decide all wheeled modes of travel should be banned.

Bikes like mine have the battery concealed in the bottom tube. I think we will see more and more ebikes looking just like a regular mountain bike. So then once the "non bikers" see them, they won't know the difference. It's just us bikers that know the little signs and pieces to look for in a bike to classify it as an ebike.

So then if the biking enemies can't tell if it's an ebike at a first glance, why would we blame ebikes for taking away access?

I guess they'll start filing reports on the rangers now for riding ebikes.

It just comes down to being angry that somebody else is riding the trail and not working as hard. Who cares.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That is the one that I have is pretty darn hard to tell that's even an e-bike.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

And more of the point of ebikes eventually restricting access for all, was it reported for any of these reasons?
    -Biker was riding too fast
    -bike peeled out and shot pebbles at me from the rear tire
    -loud engine noise
    -bike was too heavy, caused ruts in the trail (this would ban any fat rider on any bike on any trail, or any bike packer with 40lbs of gear)
    -biker had a MAGA sticker on the bumper

Or was it likely because they expected to be in complete solitude only a mile off the road and they saw somebody on a bike

5. Likes accadacca liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    That is the one that I have is pretty darn hard to tell that's even an e-bike.
    Ditto, you've got to notice some slight details to know it's an ebike. These details will only be noticed by bikers, not the groups that want to ban bikes.

Unfortunately half the battle will be against the bikers - many of them want ebikes banned...

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/tr...bike-position/

2015 IMBA was against e bikes on non motorized.

IMBA will support what the money tells them to support.

10. Likes blueeyes, moab mark liked this post
    The line continues to blur.... this is my problem with ebikes not being classified as motorized vehicles...

https://electrek.co/2018/12/19/suru-electric-moped/

12. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    The state has different classifications of ebikes. this one is in a differernt class than what Beech rides.

Quote Originally Posted by double moo View Post
    The state has different classifications of ebikes. this one is in a differernt class than what Beech rides.
    I understand that, the problem is your average citizen doesn't understand the difference and the more the lines blur the bigger the issue IMHO.

Heck, 99% of MTB riders can't simply look at an ebike and know it's classification, which is why I think the most defensible position is "motorized vehicles". As an engineer I also know this line will get more cloudy as engineers ring more performance out of smaller electric motors and batteries.

I'm not against ebikes, I'm against classifying them the same as non motorized vehicles. I think ideally ebikes should have their own classification, it would making signing trails and management simple. Similar to the way hikers, bikers, horses and motorcycles are currently managed. And Corner Canyon is probably a great example as all the above are allowed in the canyon, but all the above are also restricted from certain trails.

15. Likes uintafly, blueeyes liked this post
    No that bike is actually in the same class as the one that beach and I ride. That's considered a Class 1 it has 750 watts of battery and can only go 20 miles an hour. It comes in different versions in different countries but that article says in the US it's going to come in as a Class 1. I really want the seat on my bike now.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The line continues to blur.... this is my problem with ebikes not being classified as motorized vehicles...

https://electrek.co/2018/12/19/suru-electric-moped/
    The problem with these bikes is they look gay. That's reason enough to ban them.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    The problem with these bikes is they look gay. That's reason enough to ban them.
    E bikes are gay.

Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    E bikes are gay.

yer gay

20. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    yer gay

Chere'

22. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    I think the lines between ebikes and mountain bikes will become more blurred as time goes on, they will be less noticeable, harder to tell they have any pedal assistance as the batteries will become more concealed.

The thing with those bikes posted above, it looks like they just want to go fast and ride dirt bike trails. They are obviously not Class 1 like the rangers ride. I would agree they aren't for the non motorized trails, but reasons like "electric" are not good enough.

The reason should be speed, or causing any "peel out" damage, which class 1 bikes are not a culprit.

I rode up Wheeler Canyon at an average of 6MPH, with regular breaks, and came down at an average of 12 - 15 MPH, which is regular on my usual bike on a double track trail.

The uphill climb was the only noticeable difference, and even when I got up to 8MPH, it was on a straightaway and nobody was in danger. There is absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. I know 140lb guys that cruise up trails that fast, so if speed is an issue, it had better be across the board.

And because of my ebike, I had energy to go up and down Icebox too.

24. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    I'm going to play the victim injured disabled card here, as I'm waiting on two new knees but I'm too young for replacements. So I get injections a couple of times a year that help a bit.

If it weren't for my ebike, I would loathe riding. I used to be the last one up the hill, and that's even when I wasn't setting up camera gear.

Now biking is fun again.

Here's the My Little Pony bandaid I got this last Tuesday for my right knee injection.

While you're out riding your ebike where do you store your penis?

Asking for a friend....

27. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    While you're out riding your ebike where do you store your penis?

Asking for a friend....
    That's why the battery compartment is so huge

29. Likes moab mark, Iceaxe liked this post
    I honestly have nothing against Ebikes. Just on board with Ice in that they need their own designation and people who ride them need to respect trail designations.

I have seen Ebikes where they shouldn't be and that is potentially what will shut down trail use for mountain bikes.

And anyone I know who rides one is going to have to put up with me teasing them about it. I struggle up hill always have always will, currently still prefer to do it on my own power.

Chere'

31. Likes Iceaxe liked this post