Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: E bikes?

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    I noticed “E-Bike” under sport in Strava, along with a bunch of other things. So you can select it and put your ride under that category. Not sure how long it’s been in there. I guess it’s on the honor system.
    The E bike setting has been there for at least a year. Unfortunately E bikes attract a large contingent of noobs to Strava and they just record under biking. Most probably believe the calories listed as burned is for their E bike.

I ride a MTB for the exercise, when I ride one of the Corner Canyon trails that cuts through the golf course I always laugh to myself at all the guys riding around in golf carts, drinking beer, and telling their buddies what great exercise golf is. I think of an E bike the same as I think of those golfers.

YMMV

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've been watching a lot of EMBN youtube vids of late. A lot of world class MTB folks are getting in on the trend. They are doing some pretty incredible rides... skill level 11 stuff. Another good place to look into it is the online magazine ebike-mtb,com. This is the ebike version of Enduro - sister publication. Mock them all you want some retired pros are making them look pretty incredible!

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    I noticed “E-Bike” under sport in Strava, along with a bunch of other things. So you can select it and put your ride under that category. Not sure how long it’s been in there. I guess it’s on the honor system.
    Since I started using Strava again in the past couple of months, each of my rides have been in the ebike category. When I started up strava, it automatically came up. Damn Feds must have been watching me and selected it for me.

Hey when can Ebike riders start comparing themselves to the Civil Rights movement for the harassment?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Since I started using Strava again in the past couple of months, each of my rides have been in the ebike category. When I started up strava, it automatically came up.
    Strava defaults to the last activity you did. I both run and MTB so I flip between those two settings.

FWIW - AFTER you complete and activity if you recorded it under the wrong setting you can simply edit your Strava and it recalculates all your times. Occasionally I forget to switch back to MTB after running and all the runners scream bloody murder when I destroy all their KOM's on my MTB,

That's the thing though, I don't think I did anything before. If I did, it was years ago and I had no ebike.

Hey there's gotta be some way for ebike haters to feel good about themselves when they see the smiles on the faces of ebike riders, wayyyyy up in front

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/tr...n-e-bike-demo/

First crack in the armor.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

What's the crack in the armor? This is pretty much how all trails are currently managed, which is on a case by case bases just like the Idaho BLM is proposing.

As someone who has been heavily involved in both off road motorcycles and mountain bikes I have a dog in both fights.

But my advice to MTB riders is if you except ebikes as equals it will eventually bite you in the ass and result in losing trails over the long haul. I went through this with motorcycles in the 70's and 80's and the loss of trails and I can tell you exactly how it will eventually end if ebikes and MTB's are grouped together.

YMMV

The crack in the armor is this will be the first BLM District who has possibly made a change. The article said the decision would be made in January or February. I emailed the district manager up there I'll see what what they decided.

What I find interesting about this possible change in the Sun Valley area. I probably spend over 20 plus day singletrack riding dirt bikes in that area in the summer. Idaho has more single track dirt bike trails than any state in the Union. It's not even close, there trail system up there is absolutely unbelievable. You could ride your e-bike up there on the single track motorcycle trails for the rest of your life and not even touch what's available. So I find it interesting this is the one area that is starting to look at allowing E bikes on their mountain bike trails. I eventually see the F.S. and BLM designating certain areas that are non motorized e-bike friendly. I don't ever see it for example happening on the Wasatch Front (Crest etc) but I'll bet you see it happening like in the Logan District area Etc. Same with Moab, they'll pick areas like klondike bluffs but not the amaza back area where it is slower flow and more techical.
    https://sunvalleymag.com/articles/th...e-backcountry/

Zoom in and look at that map it's insane. Idaho is the absolute last place I would think would be looking at allowing e-bikes. Unless you look at it that they're so motorcycle friendly they are already in that mindset.
    That map is just west of Sun Valley.

I put 5,000 miles on a Ktm 300 since 15 and most of that has been in Idaho and the desert of Utah.

14. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    What's the crack in the armor? This is pretty much how all trails are currently managed, which is on a case by case bases just like the Idaho BLM is proposing.

As someone who has been heavily involved in both off road motorcycles and mountain bikes I have a dog in both fights.

But my advice to MTB riders is if you except ebikes as equals it will eventually bite you in the ass and result in losing trails over the long haul. I went through this with motorcycles in the 70's and 80's and the loss of trails and I can tell you exactly how it will eventually end if ebikes and MTB's are grouped together.

YMMV
    This^^

I have no problems with ebikes, but they should be looked at as a separate user group from mountain bikes. A ton of hikers and horse people already hate mountain bikers and fight to get us booted from trails. Adding a motor and making bikes even faster is gonna piss them off even more, and could lead to more lost trails to bikes.

I thought the first crack in the armor was when the major bike manufacturers started getting on board and making ebikes. They bring ebikes to demo at all of the major bike race events.

None of the reasons to ban ebikes make any sense, by the way. Too fast? Where, on the climb? So now we will ban any cross country biker weighing 120 lbs and is in great shape, because they can climb fast? How fast, exactly? Or are we banning a class of bike based purely on hypotheticals and not actual experience?

We can't possibly mean they are going too fast on the downhill. Anybody who suggests this, does not have any experience on an ebike. They all have governors that stop. I've gone much faster downhill on my regular bike.

None of the reasons to ban ebikes make any sense, by the way.
    When did politics ever have to make sense?!? And make no mistake, ebikes are a hot political issue. My major concern is that ebikes will be used by the hardcore forest fairies and rock lickers as a weapon to ban all mechanized vehicles.

The problem as I see it is there are two very clear lines that can be drawn at the moment. No mechanized vehicles and no motorized vehicles. Ebikes are trying to elbow their way into the mechanized vehicle group to gain more access, this will result in some trail closes to MTB's over the long haul, exactly how much will be closed is debatable, but if MTB's push ebikes into the motorized vehicle category they can't be used as a weapon to close trails, which to me makes the choice of where I drawn the line simple.

YMMV

He said when they get closer to a decision he will send me another email.

I thought the first crack in the armor was when the major bike manufacturers started getting on board and making ebikes. They bring ebikes to demo at all of the major bike race events.

None of the reasons to ban ebikes make any sense, by the way. Too fast? Where, on the climb? So now we will ban any cross country biker weighing 120 lbs and is in great shape, because they can climb fast? How fast, exactly? Or are we banning a class of bike based purely on hypotheticals and not actual experience?

We can't possibly mean they are going too fast on the downhill. Anybody who suggests this, does not have any experience on an ebike. They all have governors that stop. I've gone much faster downhill on my regular bike.
    Some beach is completely correct as far as going downhill. The assist kicks out at 18 miles an hour and due to the weight of the bike and the extra pedal force of having to turn the drivetrain without any assist you can't go nearly as quick as you can go on a normal mountain bike.

So long as ebikes remain classed as motorized vehicles by the BLM I'm good, at least from a MTB prospective.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    So long as ebikes remain classed as motorized vehicles by the BLM I'm good, at least from a MTB prospective.
    Until they just change the designation.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Until they just change the designation.

I believe there are places ebikes belong and places they don't.

23. Likes moab mark liked this post