Name:  667361E0-A98C-41B5-AC39-EA6E5EC14D16.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  20.9 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Name:  20190619_191857.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  113.8 KB

Developing new skills... like braking into the corners while riding uphill!

Lovin' it so far...

5. Likes Sombeech liked this post

7. Likes accadacca liked this post

Ebikes are not allowed on US Forest Service trails in the Salt Lake Ranger District.

I expect you will see more places ban ebikes as time goes on and the line between ebike and motorcycles becomes more blurry.

Climb-Utah.com

How will they ticket me if they can't keep up?

on another note, just wait until money starts talking from the big bike retailers that are getting heavy into the ebike game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    on another note, just wait until money starts talking from the big bike retailers that are getting heavy into the ebike game.
    I've seen this movie before.... I went through this in the 70's when it was motorcycle's battling to keep trail access on USFS land. I already know how this will end.... which is why I tell MTB rides to put as much distance between themselves and ebikes as possible, or the ebikes will cost them trails.

I have nothing against ebikes, I just don't want them classified as a bicycle.

Climb-Utah.com

12. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I have nothing against ebikes, I just don't want them classified as a bicycle.
    They don't need to be classified as a bicycle, just non motorized. Hikers, bikers, ebikers, horseback riders, and runners can all enjoy the same trail, no matter what we call them.

They don't need to be classified as a bicycle, just non motorized.
    Let me rephrase that.... I have nothing against ebikes. I just don't want them classified as non-motorized, for the simple reason they have a motor.

If ebikes are grouped with MTB's it will be the MTB riders that eventually end up holding the shitty end of the stick. As I said... I've seen this dog and pony show before and I know how it ends...

....But other then that Mrs. Lincoln, what did you think of the play?

Climb-Utah.com

15. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Iceaxe is right.

I don't have anything against ebikes either. But a motor is a motor. In the end mountain bikes will get pushed out of using trails because of attitudes like Sombeech. Society's like Wilderness Society and Sierra Club are looking for any and all fuel to keep bikes out of wilderness "and" remove bike access from other trails.

So go ahead and ride your ebike where ever you like. You are right they probably can't catch you. But you don't help those advocating for access.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Chere'

Summit County...

Climb-Utah.com

$1000 fine and 6 months in jail???

Somebody sure is butthurt over ebikes

This looks like somebody lost a big argument online and is looking to win a different route. I'd love to see this story in the news, ebike rider in jail for 6 months. Hilarious.

Summit County...

Climb-Utah.com
    Deer Valley purchased a fleet of them for rentals. Looks like the county ought to be able to make a lot of money off the tourists!

Summit County...

Climb-Utah.com
    Deer Valley purchased a fleet of them for rentals. Looks like the county ought to be able to make a lot of money off the tourists!

Quote Originally Posted by double moo View Post
    Haha, except I don't think the Deer Valley trails are part of Basin Rec's trails. I'm guessing there's some different regulations that come into play.
    Are we there yet?

I'm still laughing at that jail time punishment.

Somebody lost a terrible internet argument and was publicly humiliated with facts.

$1000 fine and 6 months in jail???
    All that means is that they are charging the crime as a class B misdemeanor like trespassing.
    Life is Good

Fun facts... and made up shit.

Basin Recreation promoted and based this ordinance on a 2017 staff report, that was based on a 2014 study (9/10/14), that recommended limitations of EABs (electric assisted bicycles). In the same report they recommended a speed limit on all trails to be enforced at a max of 14.5 mph. Wow... that would suck! Maybe we should continue to base our ordinances on outdated recommendations - how about returning to the 55 mph freeway speeds even though in the long run it proved to not be any safer and modern cars don't drink the fuel like they used to? FACT

There are Local Bike shops in the PC area that are making a case against this outdated ordinance - a lot of which must be driven by the desire to sell bikes. Europe now sees over a third of their bike sales in e-bikes - hard to think local shops wouldn't try to cash in on that trend. I'd hate to see sales dictate this one, but at least there is a group working on rewriting the rules. FACT

Ebikes may actually do less damage than acoustics to the trails. ebikes are heavier but most run wider tires at lower pressures, hence the contact patch is larger allowing for more control, less skidding, and less pounds per inch trail pressure. Using that rational we could assume that gravel bikes are trashing the trails - BAN GRAVEL BIKES NOW! And the heaviness of the bikes shouldn't be used as a factor without looking at rider weight also. If so we should weigh all riders with their bikes and issue them color coded jerseys depending on where in the spectrum they fall. Only red jerseys get to ride my favorite trails, the brown or polka dot jerseys have to stick to the double tracks, etc... this should be fun. Better yet we could force the tire industry to color code tires so we can easily verify the width or tire and assume the amount of trail damage potentially incurring. Of course,,, we'd have to factor in the brakes to ensure that for the tire width and weight they are adequate to reasonably slow and stop the bike without damaging the trail. (4-pots on 2.8s and I'm feeling pretty good on this one). The bike shops would have to weigh you and issue your rider credentials when they sell you the bike (jersey color, tires to compensate for weight, etc...). ASSUMPTION w/ BULLSHIT

A recent study shows that ebike riders get more exercise. So the headline is a little misleading on this one - true they get more exercise, but why? This study showed that the ebike crowd was less fit than acoustic bikers (not a big surprise), but they rode longer, more often, and tended to commute more. Net result was a lower exertion of exercise - but more of it. Good for their health - but not really a great comparison. My own ebike experience is that I do ride longer - not just further, but actually more hours. FACT

Upper body workout is greater on an ebike. OK I'm making up shit based solely on personal experience - here goes... Leg workout is based on cadence and power output - both higher on the acoustic bike - and factor in the length of ride (which can tilt towards ebikes) and you should assume that the acoustic is still the better leg workout. But the upper body workout seems to come down to distance (my experience leads me to this hypothesis). You get the upper body workout by cornering, banking, hitting obstacles, recovering from that last stupid assed move where you nearly died in the rock garden, etc... Using this as a weak platform you can extrapolate that the further you ride (off road type riding), the more obstacles you hit, thus the more workout your upper body gets. (I ride typically 12-14 mikes on the acoustic but regularly push 20-25 miles on the ebike). Also look at how much more upper body workout you get descending versus climbing - now factor in that you can ride uphill in the 10-12 mph range for long distances and you start to get the picture that you are working the upper body nearly as much on the climb as the descent. If you don't believe me, please rent yourself an ebike and come hammer out some miles on the trails for an afternoon with me. After a good ride my arms, pecs, lats, and core can be sore for a day or two - much like a low resistance upper body gym session... that went on for 2 plus hours. FACT-PERSONAL

And lastly... for your viewing pleasure - Seriously tough ebike stage race featuring pro and Olympic athletes. FACT

(I still get as many miles on the acoustic as on the Powah. It's a different experience. I enjoy both.)

And NO... I was not a pro athlete during the latter half of the 70s. But I can lay claim to winning the first sanctioned MTB race in the state of Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    All that means is that they are charging the crime as a class B misdemeanor like trespassing.
    Hahaha.... I'm still laughing that Sombeech failed Law 101...