Page 11 of 72 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Cue the Anti-AR15 Crowd in 3, 2, 1.....

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Just to be clear, it was the deputy rather than the sheriff who retired.

It sounds like the sheriff did suspend the deputy during the investigation, but he decided to retire instead. The sheriff did not retire; only the deputy.
    That is my belief as well.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The deputy now has 6 armed officers guarding his house.

Lets see:

1-coward to guard 1700 students.

6- police officers to guard 1 coward.

Yea--- I think the sheriff has his priorities wrong...

Now we see why he wants to blame guns, covering his inept ass...
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

4. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    not only did the FBI not act on credible information warning them about Cruz. But the Broward County Sheriff didn't either in November of 2017.

The Miami Herald has compiled a nice summary list of this cascade of government failure.

Feb. 5, 2016: A Broward Sheriff's Office deputy is told by an anonymous caller that Nikolas Cruz, then 17, had threatened on Instagram to shoot up his school and posted a photo of himself with guns. The information is forwarded to BSO Deputy Scot Peterson, a school resource officer at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

Sept. 23, 2016: A "peer counselor" reports to Peterson that Cruz had possibly ingested gasoline in a suicide attempt, was cutting himself and wanted to buy a gun. A mental health counselor advises against involuntary committing Cruz. The high school says it will conduct a threat assessment.

Sept. 28, 2016: An investigator for the Florida Department of Children and Families rules Cruz is stable, despite "fresh cuts" on his arms. His mother, Lynda Cruz, says in the past he wrote a racial slur against African Americans on his book bag and had recently talked of buying firearms.

Sept. 24, 2017: A YouTube user named "nikolas cruz" posts a comment stating he wants to become a "professional school shooter." The comment is reported to the FBI in Mississippi, which fails to make the connection to Cruz in South Florida.

Nov. 1, 2017: Katherine Blaine, Lynda Cruz's cousin, calls BSO to report that Nikolas Cruz had weapons and asks that police recover them. A "close family friend" agrees to take the firearms, according to BSO.

Nov. 29, 2017: The Palm Beach County family that took in Cruz after the death of his mother calls the Palm Beach Sheriff's Office to report a fight between him and their son, 22. A member of the family says Cruz had threatened to "get his gun and come back" and that he has "put the gun to others' heads in the past." The family does not want him arrested once he calms down.

Nov. 30, 2017: A caller from Massachusetts calls BSO to report that Cruz is collecting guns and knives and could be a "school shooter in the making." A BSO deputy advises the caller to contact the Palm Beach sheriff.

Jan. 5, 2018: A caller to the FBI's tip line reports that Cruz has "a desire to kill people" and could potentially conduct a school shooting. The information is never passed on to the FBI's office in Miami.

Feb. 14, 2018: Nikolas Cruz attacks Stoneman Douglas High. Peterson, the school's resource officer, draws his gun outside the building where Cruz is shooting students and staff. He does not enter.
    Yet somehow gun owners and the NRA are to blame for this?

During the CNN Gun Control Debate; Sheriff Israel told Dana Loesch of the NRA, " I understand you're standing up for the NRA and I understand that's what you're supposed to do. But you just told this group of people that you are standing up for them. You're not standing up for them until you say, 'I want less weapons.'

As the old saying goes . . .

Those who shout the loudest usually have the most to hide.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Peterson had been a school resource officer at Stoneman Douglas since 2009. He was considered a trusted officer who “values his position and takes pride in protecting the students, faculty and staff at his school,” a 2017 performance review said.
    His annual salary in 2016 was $75,673.72, according to sheriff’s office records, but he made $101,013 that year with overtime and other compensation. Peterson has been the subject of two internal investigations, neither of which resulted in significant discipline.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

I've been looking at all sorts of reports and stats over the last several days. If those screaming about banning AR15's because "protect the children" and all that were really concerned about saving kids lives, how about raising the legal driving age to 21? Especially for teenage males. According to the CDC, more than 6 teenagers between the ages of 16 and 19 are killed every day in the US from auto accidents and 221,313 are injured. This stat is from 2015 and I'd venture a guess that it's higher now because the distraction problem keeps increasing. Interesting stuff.

https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafe...factsheet.html
    Are we there yet?

8. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    BUT.........

....now you guys are letting actual facts get in the way of a ratings boosting story.

Damnit I leave for a few days and now I've got 11 pages to read. Can you guys make it easier on me and fill it up with more pictures so I can catch up?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Damnit I leave for a few days and now I've got 11 pages to read. Can you guys make it easier on me and fill it up with more pictures so I can catch up?
    Nothing to see here. Just move along. :)

David Burns wrote:

Not really going to get into with anybody on this but for what its worth here is some education for you. At the top of this picture is an evil black rifle an XM-15e2. On the bottom is an M1 Carbine. Both can hold 30 round magazines. Both have the same rate of fire. Both are available to the civilian market. One was invented for war to defeat oppressive governments that were murdering millions of defenseless and unarmed citizens. Yes that would be the wooden one.

The M1 was manufactured in WW2 and millions were made. After the war many of our boys came home with their M1's and even more were sold to the civilian markets by the CMP for $20 dollars a piece. "My grandfather bought one."

So yes evil assault rifles "your terminology not mine" have been around for decades. So here is the question. How did we have thousands upon thousands of men return home from some of the most horrific fighting the world has even seen, have access to the M1 and didnt go around killing innocents? Access? Nope. You could go to Sears and buy an M1. You didnt even have to be 18 to purchase one in the 50's. To buy a handgun you have to be 21, that didnt change until 1968.

Well today's guns have more firepower. Nope, also not true. Ammo cheaper? Hell no. Much, much cheaper in the 40's and 50's. So try if you will to take the gun out of the picture and put your focus elsewhere? What has changed?

Nuclear family under attack. God removed from school. Prayers forbidden. School administrators not allowed to punish kids anymore. Defeat is not allowed, everyone gets a trophy. Teasing is bullying. Girls should not be treated as girls and boys should not be treated as boys. When in doubt administrator drugs. Games where you kill people or cops you get points for. Movies that glorify violence. 15 minutes of fame given out on social media for stupidity.

Have guns change? Yes, went from wood to black plastic. Has our society changed? What do you think? Ramble over.

13. Likes xjblue, twotimer, tallsteve liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Interesting--I grew up just South of you in Bountiful at the same time.

We had a kid blow himself up in his house, just adjacent to the school, he was building pipe bombs.

Hell I used to build pipe bombs with a buddy of mine in the 90s, we'd head over to Smith and Edwards and buy every item necessary.

Metal pipe nipples and caps, 3/4" for most of them
    Black gun powder in the metal tins, maybe about a gallon in size?
    Canon fuse, the green waterproof fuse, maybe 3 feet of it.

We would put it all in the same shopping cart and check right out, no concerns of splitting up the parts to look more casual. The scariest part would come after we packed all of the powder down into the pipe around the fuse, and we would screw on the metal pipe cap, being DAMN SURE there wasn't any powder residue in those metal threads, that if it were to spark while tightening the cap, I would then have to explain to my parents why I'm missing an arm and there's a new hole in the garage wall.

Fortunately we only did that a few times. Then my buddy would bring home grenade and artillery shell simulations that would go boom. The artillery shell simulators would give this whistle like an incoming shell, and when that blast went off it almost knocked us down. Anyways, those were the days. That's how we got our kicks.

I'm not saying this is a possible alternative to mass shootings, in fact it's the opposite. We were friends, we were happy, we laughed a lot. We had a strong family upbringing. I think that is a big difference to most of these shooters, look at their family upbringing situation, I think you'll see a common theme.

The value of the nuclear family unit has been underestimated for a long time, and I think this is a common denominator in these cases.

15. Likes rockgremlin, tallsteve liked this post
    I found this to be a really good read. I especially relate to point #3 as my facebook feed is filled with friends who know nothing about firearms who keep ranting on and on and on....

http://thefederalist.com/2017/10/06/...e-gun-control/
    Are we there yet?

17. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    not only did the FBI not act on credible information warning them about Cruz. But the Broward County Sheriff didn't either in November of 2017.

The Miami Herald has compiled a nice summary list of this cascade of government failure.

Feb. 5, 2016: A Broward Sheriff's Office deputy is told by an anonymous caller that Nikolas Cruz, then 17, had threatened on Instagram to shoot up his school and posted a photo of himself with guns. The information is forwarded to BSO Deputy Scot Peterson, a school resource officer at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

Sept. 23, 2016: A "peer counselor" reports to Peterson that Cruz had possibly ingested gasoline in a suicide attempt, was cutting himself and wanted to buy a gun. A mental health counselor advises against involuntary committing Cruz. The high school says it will conduct a threat assessment.

Sept. 28, 2016: An investigator for the Florida Department of Children and Families rules Cruz is stable, despite "fresh cuts" on his arms. His mother, Lynda Cruz, says in the past he wrote a racial slur against African Americans on his book bag and had recently talked of buying firearms.

Sept. 24, 2017: A YouTube user named "nikolas cruz" posts a comment stating he wants to become a "professional school shooter." The comment is reported to the FBI in Mississippi, which fails to make the connection to Cruz in South Florida.

Nov. 1, 2017: Katherine Blaine, Lynda Cruz's cousin, calls BSO to report that Nikolas Cruz had weapons and asks that police recover them. A "close family friend" agrees to take the firearms, according to BSO.

Nov. 29, 2017: The Palm Beach County family that took in Cruz after the death of his mother calls the Palm Beach Sheriff's Office to report a fight between him and their son, 22. A member of the family says Cruz had threatened to "get his gun and come back" and that he has "put the gun to others' heads in the past." The family does not want him arrested once he calms down.

Nov. 30, 2017: A caller from Massachusetts calls BSO to report that Cruz is collecting guns and knives and could be a "school shooter in the making." A BSO deputy advises the caller to contact the Palm Beach sheriff.

Jan. 5, 2018: A caller to the FBI's tip line reports that Cruz has "a desire to kill people" and could potentially conduct a school shooting. The information is never passed on to the FBI's office in Miami.

Feb. 14, 2018: Nikolas Cruz attacks Stoneman Douglas High. Peterson, the school's resource officer, draws his gun outside the building where Cruz is shooting students and staff. He does not enter.
    Yet somehow gun owners and the NRA are to blame for this?
    Unfortunately, with current laws none of the above excludes him from owning a gun. Unless he did something like committing a felony, was forcefully institutionalized, or declared mentally incompetent by the state, he can still buy an AR-15 even if all of the above is 100% true.

See here:

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/FPP/FAQs2.aspx

As mentioned, I have an ex-brother in law who has threatened to gun down the family several times and he is still allowed to buy firearms.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Unfortunately, with current laws none of the above excludes him from owning a gun. Unless he did something like committing a felony, was forcefully institutionalized, or declared mentally incompetent by the state, he can still buy an AR-15 even if all of the above is 100% true.

See here:

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/FPP/FAQs2.aspx

As mentioned, I have an ex-brother in law who has threatened to gun down the family several times and he is still allowed to buy firearms.
    What you say is true, although not exactly addressing the point.

With all of these "signs" including holding a gun to someones head, there was a huge "probable cause".

He could have been brought in and questioned.

He could have been closely observed.

He could have been ordered a psych eval.

He could have been apprehended for making the threat of "professionally shooting up a school"

If any and all of these things had been reacted upon, the conclusion definitely changes.

He was given much more than "due process" which us conservatives find important.

This wasn't 1 report, it was over 30.

A huge failure on the SRO/.Sheriff/FBI
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

^^^This^^^

Because others failed to do their job lets blame the firearm.

You can also blame the High School for not following through on the recommended threat assessment of Cruz and the family Cruz lived with for not pressing charges when he committed a violent act. Lot's of failure in this shooting to go around...

Blaming the firearm is just a scapegoat.

This pretty much sums up the treatment of this kid up to this point in his life.

Quote Originally Posted by devo_stevo View Post
    This pretty much sums up the treatment of this kid up to this point in his life.

Right on! I often site this song as well as their song "Capitalism". I don't think Danny Elfman qualifies as your typical Hollywood liberal. Hmmm, I'll have to look up what his politics are...these days.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    What you say is true, although not exactly addressing the point.

With all of these "signs" including holding a gun to someones head, there was a huge "probable cause".

He could have been brought in and questioned.

He could have been closely observed.

He could have been ordered a psych eval.

He could have been apprehended for making the threat of "professionally shooting up a school"

If any and all of these things had been reacted upon, the conclusion definitely changes.

He was given much more than "due process" which us conservatives find important.

This wasn't 1 report, it was over 30.

A huge failure on the SRO/.Sheriff/FBI
    It's liberals that run all this stuff and it's their laws. As long as I've been an adult, I've believed that second chances and the benefit of the doubt are both time consuming and expensive.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

24. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Now a total of 4 sheriff's officers, stayed outside during shooting. A direct reflection on the Sheriff,imo

CNN)When Coral Springs police officers arrived at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, on February 14 in the midst of the school shooting crisis, many officers were surprised to find not only that Broward County Sheriff's Deputy Scot Peterson, the armed school resource officer, had not entered the building, but that three other Broward County Sheriff's deputies were also outside the school and had not entered, Coral Springs sources tell CNN. The deputies had their pistols drawn and were behind their vehicles, the sources said, and not one of them had gone into the school.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Heres a picture of the coward sheriff.

Needs firing--serious lack of leadership.

Oficers from a nearby town(Coral Springs) came and entered while these cowards sat outside.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

The FBI just didn't have the resources freed up. Simple.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

28. Likes rockgremlin, Iceaxe liked this post