Page 9 of 72 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Cue the Anti-AR15 Crowd in 3, 2, 1.....

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    I don't disagree with any of your responses. I'm just thinking ahead a bit. With all the mass hysteria going on right now, I'm guessing some concessions will need to be made and these are the things I could live with without feeling like I totally got screwed. And, yes, we definitely need to enforce the laws already on the books.
    The problem is you are looking to do something, but we need to do something that is effective, and which preferably doesn't infringe upon our Constitutional rights. If you actually want to do something effective....

Enforce the laws already on the books as most homicides are done with illegally obtained weapons. 82% of all gun crimes are committed with an illegal weapon.

Harden soft targets, the Boston Marathon Bombers and the numerous trucks smashing through crowds involved no firearms. We protect our money with guns, why not our children?

Fix our healthcare system. This one I don't have a great answer of what should be done.

Anyhoo.... fix those items and you will have accomplished something useful.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've been a house painter for nearly 40 years...ever heard "Painting is personal", well let me tell ya, it is. I work by myself and I'm in peoples homes for DAYS, sometimes a couple weeks. I've seen every kind of marriage and parent/child dynamic you can imagine. I see how people live, because I have to move all their stuff away from the walls. I'm just over here painting the walls, but you can't help but overhear all the stuff going on. Also, lots of people like to talk/vent about their lives. I'm easy to talk to, believe it or not. Religion, philosophy, politics, their kids, their marriage...I've heard it all.

I've also seen plenty of "problem kids"...adoptions from drug/alcohol, bi-polar issues, rotten and indifferent parenting, etc...

The one thing they all seem to have in common is anger, and lots of it. Violence, doors kicked in, holes punched in walls, things broken, cops being called. Parents that age 25 years in 10. Counseling, drugs, lavishing them with gifts to try to calm them down. Yet they rule the roost anyway.

I can take you to at least 10 houses right now where these "kids" still dominate, even though they're in their 20s. I know of two suicides that occurred in the house...imagine coming home to find the kid has blown his brains out in the bathtub...the ultimate expression of "Fu*k you"...clean up the mess. Both were the kids of millionaires, having it all but still miserable.

So everyone is jumping through hoops trying to figure out what can stop these people from taking out their revenge...cuz revenge is what it's all about. I say nothing can be done if "that switch goes off"...look up "I don't like Mondays"...not the song, but the actual event.

This kid in Florida? His guns should have been confiscated as soon as he made threats. Those idiots that housed him should have turned his firearms over to the cops. He shouldn't have been allowed to buy guns.

Would these things have stopped him? IDK...perhaps he'd find a way around it all.

I guess my point is...go thru life and hope that you never get to close to these fools that have shit for brains. People can scream and yell all they want, but it all boils down to not being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

4. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Somehow--I don't think America was founded on the principle of appeasement.

Possibly in fact--just the opposite.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The problem is you are looking to do something, but we need to do something that is effective, and which preferably doesn't infringe upon our Constitutional rights. If you actually want to do something effective....

Enforce the laws already on the books as most homicides are done with illegally obtained weapons. 82% of all gun crimes are committed with an illegal weapon.

Harden soft targets, the Boston Marathon Bombers and the numerous trucks smashing through crowds involved no firearms. We protect our money with guns, why not our children?

Fix our healthcare system. This one I don't have a great answer of what should be done.

Anyhoo.... fix those items and you will have accomplished something useful.

You misunderstand. I'm not looking to do anything and I don't want anything currently on the books changed. I'm just saying, most likely something will be done on a national scale and those are the things I'd be OK with. None of the things I mentioned would have stopped this mass killing and no weapons ban is going to stop any future mass killings.
    Are we there yet?

You misunderstand. I'm not looking to do anything and I don't want anything currently on the books changed. I'm just saying, most likely something will be done on a national scale and those are the things I'd be OK with. None of the things I mentioned would have stopped this mass killing and no weapons ban is going to stop any future mass killings.
    Other then perhaps bump stocks there is nothing else on your list that I would even consider.... and that is the problem. You need to find things we can agree upon to be effective.

FWIW - for a gun owner your list is very liberal. Nothing wrong with that, just sayin'

Name:  1112.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  60.8 KB

. None of the things I mentioned would have stopped this mass killing and no weapons ban is going to stop any future mass killings.
    I like and value your opinions, Steve.

So I ask, In all sincerity--why are you willing to do something you know won't work or have any affect?

Things that you say you are o.k. with.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

9. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Yo Shane -- you gotta source for that list? Pretty interesting, but some things look a little ****y. Like drug overdose deaths should be much higher I think.

And what qualifies as a "Medical mistake death?" Yikes!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Yo Shane -- you gotta source for that list? Pretty interesting, but some things look a little ****y. Like drug overdose deaths should be much higher I think.

And what qualifies as a "Medical mistake death?" Yikes!

Here you go, the list is updated in realtime ....

http://www.romans322.com/daily-death...statistics.php

The list is very interesting, texting while driving for instance.

Obesity is 26 times the problem that guns are.... maybe we should ban fatasses?

Here you go, the list is updated in realtime ....

http://www.romans322.com/daily-death...statistics.php

The list is very interesting, texting while driving for instance.

WOW!! Cool link!!

Hmmm....looks like this is a list compiled in real time for deaths so far this year -- no wonder the drug overdose deaths are relatively low still. I'm impressed that they're pulling these statistics from a reputable source -- the CDC.

Some interesting items:

1. Abortion tops the list at 150K+, almost doubling Cancer and Heart Disease (Maybe Senator Foreman from Idaho has a point )

2. Obesity deaths creeping up on 44,000!!!

3. Suicide has killed more people this year than drunk drivers.

4. Texting drivers have killed almost 900 people.

5. Lawnmowers have killed 10 people so far this year.

Granted, these aren't actual documentable deaths, but are based on reliable statistical data. Still interesting...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I heard that Trump said that now that democrats are serious about protecting innocent children, it's time to revisit Roe v Wade.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

I believe he will also sign an EO raising the age to drive a motor vehicle to 21 as teenagers are very concerned about senseless deaths of their peers.

Very high number of auto deaths happen between the ages of 16-25
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Just imagine the massive public outcry if they pulled candy machines, soda machines and pizza Wednesday out of public schools....

...and folks whine about the NRA.

Guess which would ultimately save more lives.

Just imagine the massive public outcry if they pulled candy machines, soda machines and pizza Wednesday out of public schools....
    They already have. It's been like that for at least a few years. At the schools our kids go to vending machines have vitamin water and fruit.

Edit:

Junk food vending machines have been outlawed in schools nationwide since 2014:

https://www.usnews.com/education/blo...nding-machines

Several states banned them years before that.

They shouldn't be banned, but should be charged higher taxes. Maybe the tax rate should equal body fat percentage. I would bet that a lot of people would make an effort to be healthier if that happened, and it would save billions in healthcare cost.

Anyway, compared to most things on that list, terrorism kills few people. Does that mean we should do nothing about terrorism?

17. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    I was listening to a radio show the other day where they talked about how many of these kids who shoot up the schools were loners, ostracizeed, bullied, etc... at school. Eventually the rage from this treatment snaps and we get another school shot up - often times after a round or three on the Psychotropic med therapies.

So how would it be if instead of the victim's families filing another unuccessful lawsuit against the big Pharma, or the gun manufacturer, that they file against the school and the student body for the mental distress that was inflicted on the shooter and take some blame for helping create the situation.

i feel terrible for these families, but honestly believe that some of the students we see on the news lamenting what happened and how their lives are destroyed might very well have been the straw that broke the perp's back. They want gun copntrol because they have a right to go to school without fear... while thousands of kids go to school every day in fear of the treatment they recieve from their peers. I too don't have any answers, just think that there needs to be a bit of introspection going on. Keep peeling the onion layers back and get to the root of the problem... and I don't think the weapon is it.

19. Likes rockgremlin, twotimer, oldno7 liked this post

Cue the Anti-AR15 Crowd in 3, 2, 1.....

Powerful.

In 1974, Palestinian terrorists took over the Netiv Meir Elementary School in what has been called the “Ma’alot Massacre,” which left 22 children dead and many others injured.

The attack forced Israel to come up with a solution in order to prevent such a situation from ever happening again. The nation requires its schools to have a security system, and that policy is still going strong after 40 years.

The results are clearly evident, as there have only been two successful attacks at Israeli schools since 1974, according to Dr. Ted Noel, writing in American Thinker. Noel wrote that “in both cases, the bad guys were killed by armed teachers.”

According to Red State, Israel’s Ministry of Education funds school security, which ranges from shelters and fences to armed and trained guards at every gate.

To take it a step further, Israel also prepares its students and teachers for the slight chance a gunman does get through security by teaching them to be proactive in times of terror by barricading a door or sensing the ripe opportunity to get away safely.

The guards on the doorsteps of Israel’s schools are also trained to look for any suspicious activity, which usually deters anyone with ill intent from entering in the first place.

Israel also has very strict gun laws.

Here's a pretty good comparison between the two from the Jerusalem Post:

http://www.jpost.com/National-News/I...opposite-of-US
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    I like and value your opinions, Steve.

So I ask, In all sincerity--why are you willing to do something you know won't work or have any affect?

Things that you say you are o.k. with.
    Again, I really hope nothing gets changed and I will not be pushing for any changes. I think politicians are going to make gun law changes however (even Republicans), no matter how ineffectual or silly, if only to appease the very angry, very vocal public outcry. And they are going to do it to because they want to stay in office. It's coming.
    Are we there yet?

The guards on the doorsteps of Israel’s schools are also trained to look for any suspicious activity, which usually deters anyone with ill intent from entering in the first place.
    I was down in southern Baja recently for the first time, staying a few nights in the city of La Paz.

There are policemen and armed soldiers all over the place. The cops are just "standing around" at street corners, and the soldiers are at checkpoints at all the roads that lead into the city. They don't stop you at the checkpoints...they eyeball everyone driving by. If they want you to pull over, you'd better comply otherwise there'll be machine guns tearing your car apart. Not just the soldiers, but the policemen, too. Every small village we passed between La Paz and Cabo had a cop just standing on the side of the road...just eyeballing.

You have to slow down because of speed bumps, and I asked our shuttle driver why they're just looking at everyone. He said "They're looking for bad guys and they know them when they see them". I already knew the answer...they're profiling.

I told him that was a no-no up here in the states and he said that's too bad, 'cuz these guys are catching criminals frequently.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

^^^That damn Bill of Rights getting in the way again.

I'd say too bad Mexico doesn't enjoy the freedom offered by the 4th Amendment.