Thread: What's for Dinner?

What's for Dinner?

So I've been working my ass off of late, or at least it feels that way. I decided for dinner tonight I'm going with my old stand by...

1) Grass Fed New York Steak rubbed with my secret rub sauce (get your mind out of the gutter) pan fried on low with a stick of butter, semi bloody.
    2) Saute 1/2 Onion to insert in baked potato (1/2 stick butter and touch of sour cream).
    3) *Green Salad.

*I wouldn't want you Trump loving savages thinking I wasn't eating my leafy vegetables.

I know it might not be conducive for heart health but damn, a good piece of cow tastes good.

What are you having?

Disclosure: No burning of steak involved as well as Ketchup being on said steak.

2. Likes 2065toyota liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ohh...sounds good.

Wouldn't turn down a New York, but, I might prefer the other side of that T-bone....

Last night:

Grass fed start to finish, no hormones, no antibiotic Idaho tenderloin. Just salt and pepper. Slow-ish on the grill. Kinda panicked for a second when my meat thermometer's battery died...but...I trusted my gut (so to speak) and nailed the medium rare. Sofa King good.

Also grilled some green bell peppers with a touch of sesame oil.

Red cargo rice. Finally figured out the setting for this stuff...(in my rice cooker, same as plain ol' white).

Cheap cabernet to go with.

Tonight its leftover rice and a salad. Weeknights are usually big dinner nights.

You ever try a reverse sear on a steak? I did the other day...cooking a steak for around 2 hours on the lowest heat my oven could muster, then finish with a super hot sizzle. Weird but turned out ok. I'm guessing that it kiinda simulates a sous vide method.

Tell us about this secret rub...(I'm a fan of rosemary on red meat...nice since it grew in my garden last year and I've got gobs of it).

5. Likes 2065toyota liked this post
    Elk steaks that I harvested.

Havn't bought meat at the store for over 20 years. Yeah, its not for everyone, but I enjoy the hunting, friend and family time, and the fresh meat.

Same as Dirk, some onions and potates

I've been considering to deep fry some steaks in peanut oil. It is awesome for Turkeys at Thanksgiving, I've heard it works well on steaks also

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Ohh...sounds good.

You ever try a reverse sear on a steak? I did the other day...cooking a steak for around 2 hours on the lowest heat my oven could muster, then finish with a super hot sizzle. Weird but turned out ok. I'm guessing that it kiinda simulates a sous vide method.
    I like the thick rib eye cuts - 1.25-1.5". Put them on the pellet smoker for 45-60 minutes at 225 degrees until they reach 125 internal temp. Take them off and crank up the heat to 600. Grill for 45 seconds then rotate 90 degrees for another 40 seconds... flip - 45 seconds, 90 degree rotation, 45 seconds... you'll get a nice smoke flavor seared to perfection with a beautiful grill grid burned in... Steak will be cooked on the light side of medium.

8. Likes 2065toyota liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Cubed Antelope Stroganoff.

Antelope meat is the best.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

10. Likes 2065toyota liked this post
    Wouldn't turn down a New York, but, I might prefer the other side of that T-bone....
    Oooh! When I want to go deep I go T-Bone and I use an all day salt rub. It tenderizes it to the point of delicacy. I'm hungry again.

You ever try a reverse sear on a steak? I did the other day...cooking a steak for around 2 hours on the lowest heat my oven could muster, then finish with a super hot sizzle. Weird but turned out ok. I'm guessing that it kiinda simulates a sous vide method..
    I haven't tried the reverse sear yet. I usually BBQ with charcoal but I couldn't take it last night, I would have had to clean it and would have been a pain.

Sometimes I will use less butter and then reduce a 1/3rd of a cup of Cab with all the drippings, it creates a pretty tasty sauce with your steak.

Quote Originally Posted by DirkHammergate View Post
    Sometimes I will use less butter and then reduce a 1/3rd of a cup of Cab with all the drippings, it creates a pretty tasty sauce with your steak.
    I add a touch of blue cheese and some sour creme...not opposed to sauce on good steak.

Good times.

I've heard but not tried this but if you do an all day salt rub on each side on a really tough piece of steak, it completely tenderizes it and turns it into a really good eat. By salt rub I mean 1/4 inch on each side, I might try it this weekend cause I'm hungry for cow again..... Anyone tried this?