Thread: Anyone for Lake Powell canyons (Iceberg,Davis,Willow) or Cape Solitude or Canaan Mtn

Anyone for Lake Powell canyons (Iceberg,Davis,Willow) or Cape Solitude or Canaan Mtn

Anyone fancy hiking /boating around Lake Powell canyons to La Gorce and Broken Bow arches in Willow and Davis, seeing 40 Mile and Fiftymile (and Bishop's Narrows if accessible), giant alcoves & caves at the top of Iceberg Canyon & maybe the huge orange wall of Explorer, and Fence Canyon.
    Or alternatively, a 3-dayer to Cape Solitude (Colorado/Little Colorado confluence) via Comanche Point, or overnight on Canaan Mountain for Tower Arch, White Wave & loads of hoodoos.
    If so read on...

I booked flights from the UK for a week on Powell from Wahweap and a 2nd week from Bullfrog. But due to understandable changes in personal circumstances the people I was going with now may well not make the 2nd week.
    So I wondered if anyone wanted to hook up for around May 5-11 (possibly a day or two either side).
    If you have a boat then I'd pay all the gas. Otherwise maybe someone would share a rental boat. I know these are expensive, but to save my plans I'd consider paying more than my share of any split. This year's higher lake level is particularly good for most of these canyons. May also has long days and is before monsoon season.

Although my first aim would be to stick to the Lake Powell bucket list, if I don't get anywhere finding anyone soon then I may instead switch to do the Cape Solitude or Canaan Mountain trips if there are any definite takers who I can pencil down.
    Thanks, Ross

2. Likes jman liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    kaniukr

I would very strongly suggest Willow, then Davis, both are much better than Fiftymile,imo.

I've done Willow from the road as well as the lake and think it is a must do hike, the alcove across from Broken bow has a great hanging garden, is also a very nice camp.

We spend a lot of time on the lake but don't take passengers as our boat is too small.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Thanks. Willow from the road, does it involve anything technical or much bushwhacking. A loop of Willow and Fortymile and then HIRR to car sounds good, but a TR I saw last year said near their confluence they encountered water deep enough to require swimming and they got their packrat out.

6. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    From the HIRR to Broken bow and down to the lake is non technical.Very little bushwacking.

I haven't done the loop back up 40 mile but those I know who have swam in spots but certainly no need for a packraft.(others may know more on 40)
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?