Thread: Bringing your handgun on the airplane?

Bringing your handgun on the airplane?

Hey fellas, it's been probably a good 10 years since I last brought my handgun on a commercial flight to both California and Washington DC. I was curious if you've had any recent experience.

If I bring it, it will be in the checked bag, in it's own locked case, unloaded. Last time I flew it to Sacramento. From what I understood, the airports were their own federal entity, apart from the gun laws of the hosting state. So I was able to fly in and out of California, checking my gun, with ease and with no hysteria.

Has anybody flown with their handgun recently, did you get any hassle, was it worth it?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The case must be a TSA approved case if I recall correctly.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transport...and-ammunition

And where are you flying to? The big problems with transporting firearms is not complying with the local laws once you leave the airport. For example if you fly into N.Y. with a handgun the moment you leave the airport you are probably in violation of the law.

Yeah, if your intention is concealed carry after you get there, make sure you check reciprocity.

https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_c...city_maps.html
    Are we there yet?

Back in my younger and less careful days, I checked my handgun with me to Washington DC. Maybe Dulles airport? Flying there wasn't a problem because I'm flying from Utah, home of the brave, but when I came to the DC airport and told them I'd like to check my handgun, that's when I got some mild interrogation, and the rules weren't quite the same. They made me properly dispose of the ammunition, I couldn't even take it.

The problem is there are a lot of different personal opinions that interfere with law. I've seen reports where people have been arrested for trying to properly check their handgun at the airport, even while calling in ahead.

But yeah I think I'll just keep it home, even if I make it through the airport hassle, I'd be screwed having it on me in California. I highly doubt they'd honor the Utah status.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    But yeah I think I'll just keep it home, even if I make it through the airport hassle, I'd be screwed having it on me in California. I highly doubt they'd honor the Utah status.
    There is no reciprocity with California. They have much stricter requirements.

Another is magazine capacity.

I couldn't find any horror stories from the People's Republic of California, but plenty from NYC.

I'm nervous just driving into Cal with a firearm. Such an overwelming sigh of relief when I cross the AZ border on the way back.

http://freebeacon.com/issues/john-st...ling-new-york/

I've flown with guns even to other countries. As long as it was a hard case with a TSA approved lock, I've never had an issue.

Other countries require custom forms which are kind of a pain though

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transport...and-ammunition

Why are you flying heavy these days anyway? Got suitcases full of Benjamins from all them recently posted viral videos?

Inquiring minds...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Why are you flying heavy these days anyway? Got suitcases full of Benjamins from all them recently posted viral videos?

Inquiring minds...
    If I wear a MAGA hat, I've gotta defend myself

11. Likes rockgremlin, BasinCruiser liked this post
    I just refuse to visit the people's republic of California, problem solved.