Thread: White Pocket

White Pocket

Been lurking here for years, and contributed only occasionally, but I need to know more about this place I found accidently on Youtube today. I need to camp on slick rock without an antiquated permit system, watch the sunset, and enjoy a small cottonwood campfire before retiring. White Pocket seems like a real option. Do you all have experience in this place?

Fred

2. Likes DiscGo liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Road(s) to White Pocket may have deep sand and need 4WD high clearance, so I suggest that you camp elsewhere. There are lots of places in the SW. BTW - check out Kanab Point for a stunning view - but camp-sleep a bit north just outside of the permitted area (since you don't like permits).

Thanks kiwi...I read about the deep sand and understand lowered tire pressure is a requirement. Do you need one of those jacked up desert vehicles or are the roads passable in standard tacomas, jeeps, or maybe Ford expeditions with lowered tire pressure?

For reference, we did the Cathedral Valley loop last year in a rented Expedition. How do the White Pocket access roads compare to that loop?

Fred

Mike Kelsey was out there for a long time in his Jeep Patriot so you don't need a jacked up 4wd.

As far as fires go, I believe the area is still under fire restrictions do to the drought.

https://www.blm.gov/press-release/dr...estern-arizona

I don't think the ban has been lifted yet because of the extremely dry conditions, but check this yourself.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I turned around on the main white pocket road when my 208 Jeep Liberty underside began dragging markedly in the deeply rutted sand road section - I did not feel like digging myself out on that trip. Will try again, maybe this year, maybe next year. It might have been the worst section, can't say for sure.

And yes, I saw that a Patriot made it out there on YouTube. Conditions likely vary a bit from year to year.

Sounds like my kind of trip....just need to get it on the calendar. Wish I lived closer...

I spend a great deal of time in this area and weather has everything to do with the road conditions.Generally an experienced drive in a two drive pickup can make the trip,but with the lack of
    precipitation it could prove treacherous. The Beefed up desert vehicle is not necessary, but a reliable 4-wheel drive would make for some good old peace of mind.

I have a 10 day trek planned for the end of march, hiking from the Sand Cracks across the plateau to Wrather canton, then down the Paria to Lees ferry. With a few side attractions along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by windminstrel View Post
    I spend a great deal of time in this area and weather has everything to do with the road conditions.Generally an experienced drive in a two drive pickup can make the trip,but with the lack of
    precipitation it could prove treacherous. The Beefed up desert vehicle is not necessary, but a reliable 4-wheel drive would make for some good old peace of mind.

I have a 10 day trek planned for the end of march, hiking from the Sand Cracks across the plateau to Wrather canton, then down the Paria to Lees ferry. With a few side attractions along the way.
    Thank you Sir. Looking forward to your report!

I headed to this area this weekend and did a Google Earth Trail here for Google Earth, and for my blog. We didn't end up having to deflate our tires to the recommended 18 psi because it was cold and a little wet. It got a little tougher in areas where it was dry. Amazing area. I loves the yellows and reds and whites in the gulch area. If you would like to walk around this area in 360 degrees in a virtual like way, you can see in on Google Earth or on my blog post. https://www.shaunasadventures.com/20...t-arizona.html

Name:  White_Pocket_Arizona_Utah_Vermillion_Cliffs.JPG
Views: 142
Size:  78.4 KB
    Happy Hiking
    ShaunasAdventures
    https://www.shaunasadventures.com/

12. Likes jdn1221 liked this post