Thread: Am I high for thinking about buying this?

Am I high for thinking about buying this?

So I am looking for a new 20" bike for my 6 year old. He's a pretty good rider and loves going fast and hitting jumps and he's also has really been bugging me to get on real trails this summer. It seems like the Spawn Yama Jama is pretty much as good as it gets for a kids mountain bike but good lord dropping $1k on a kids bike is painful. But I bet the resale on it in Utah is really strong. I would expect to get close to $700 for it in a few years. My thought is if he ends up loving the trails and riding hard he is in the best tool for the job, and if not? oh well, I sell it in a few years and recoup a good portion if the cost. What do you have your kids on these days?

https://spawncycles.com/yama-jama-20

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

As someone who has dropped a lot of cash on kids bikes I wouldn't do it. Wait until the kid is a little older. If the kid wants to ride buy him a nice BMX bike for a lot less and take him to the pump tracks and let him enter a couple BMX races. The kid will learn a lot more skills and have a lot more fun. Trust me on this one as I've been through it with two kids.

I'd say the best time to introduce kids to MTB is middle school. Get them on one of the NICA teams and they will learn and ride with kids their own age and skill.

YMMV

Yeah that is an option too. Probably a hell of a lot cheaper too. I really know nothing about bmx bikes, does anyone know some decent brands? He's been on a Cleary Hedgehog 16" and it's been great. light, no coaster brake and he rides it hard, it's just too small.

I really know very little about BMX bikes. I was lucky in that a friend of my daughter's was big into BMX, he won a national championship, and helped us out. He basically gave my daughter a bike and all the gear and told her to give it back when she was done. Hard to beat that deal, but going to the BMX races was a lot of fun as they race one night a week and it was mid week.