Thread: 2/5/18 - Hiker dies falling off Angels Landing Trail

Blog Entries

2/5/18 - Hiker dies falling off Angels Landing Trail

https://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=46254247

"SPRINGDALE — Crews recovered the body of a woman who apparently fell while hiking in Zion National Park, park officials said in a press release.

The body was discovered in Refrigerator Canyon along the West Rim Trail just before 5 p.m. Monday, according to the release. Search and rescue team then recovered her body.

A preliminary investigation shows the woman's injuries are consistent with a high elevation fall, possibly from the Angels Landing Trail, according to the release.

The woman's name and cause of death are still under investigation.

“This is an extremely sad event. Our thoughts go out to this visitor’s family,” park Superintendent Jeff Bradybaugh said in the press release."

This exact same thing happened last year, but to an older gentleman instead.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I feel bad for the poor crews who get to clean up that ghastly mess.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Dang, that's terrible, again.

No disrespect to anybody, but I wonder how people are falling when they've got the chains. I understand it can be slippery this time of year, but I'm also open to the possibility of holding the camera with one hand, making it harder to hold on. Being a video guy myself, I would definitely have the GoPro in one hand. Or trekking poles, I wonder if they get in the way sometimes.

"The woman's name has not been released yet. The Washington County Sheriff’s Office is heading up the investigation and is still determining the cause of death."

Um...gonna go out on a limb here and guess that the ground coming up to smack her at terminal velocity might have had something to do with it.

Blog Entries
    Is it still icy up there? Trying to pass a person? Texting/selfie and hiking? Just careless?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

8. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Is it still icy up there? Trying to pass a person? Texting/selfie and hiking? Just careless?

Article said there was no snow or ice, and the trail appeared clear.

Devastating...

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post

Article say the trail is ice free....

I am the Life and the Light and the Way.
    The earth is my garden.
    Each of the souls I plant as seeds
    Germinates and flowers in its season
    And in each I am fulfilled.
    There is no cause for grief
    When a blossom fades
    But only rejoicing for the beauty it held
    And praise that my will is done
    And my plan served.
    I am one with all creatures
    And none is ever lost
    But only restored to me
    Having never left me at all.
    For what is Eternal
    Cannot be separated from its Source.

12. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Was she with family at the time? Other hiking partners? I would assume so.

When do you think they'll start forcing permits to hike Angels Landing?

Blog Entries

2/5/18 - Hiker dies falling off Angels Landing Trail

If they did that, they would need to have a ranger stationed at the very top every single day checking permits.

Or instead of permits, why not have daily rangers up on top kind of monitoring situations.

Situations being, telling millennials to turn off their amplified music, talking to people who are bypassing the chains to pass people, people who are feeding the 1000 chipmunks up there, etc.

In my experience, just the presence of a ranger makes people act “better”....ironically...and at the very least, this will improve the atmosphere up there.

And that’s kind of a sad thought too...a ranger to babysit people who should know better....

"SEND IT, BRO!!"

15. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    True, but also the "fear" of a ranger possibly checking for permits. Kind of like riding the train, you may not get checked for a ticket but you'll buy it anyways. And with canyons, most of us get the permit out of fear for getting busted poaching it.

I'm not advocating for permits on Angels Landing, but I think they could put it into place very easily. It would slow down the traffic and possibly lead to fewer deaths.

I tried hiking up that trail 2 summers ago and turned around after getting to the section with chains. They were so many people up there, it was dangerous. Many impatient hikers trying to go around slower hikers in that section, people not wanting to wait their turn, etc. I am glad that I hiked it twice years ago when it was much less crowded. The first time was about 1985 and I remember having the top to myself for about 30 minutes or so. That was of course when you could drive to the trailhead in the summer and start at or before sunrise.