Thread: Kolob canyon rd. closure

Kolob canyon rd. closure

I saw the following on the Zion permit site
    "Kolob Canyons road and trailhead access will be closed to all access beginning 4/1/18 until the fall of 2018. Access will be limited to hiker drop off and pick up only for the Lee Pass trailhead from 3/15-3/31/18. Those planning trips involving this area will need to plan accordingly."

I plan on being in Zion around June, and one of the canyons I plan is Kolob...I believe the statement above is about Kolob rd. section: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/37.4...37.4352802!3e0

and will not impact access to Lava Pt. area / Kolob Canyon trail-head...can someone confirm?

Thx

2. Likes stefan liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    I believe this is the other side of the park, literally called “Kolob Canyons” not THE kolob canyon road. It’s the road at the other visitor center site near Cedar City.

Anyone know the reason why for the closure? Road maintenance?

Kolob, the technical canyon, will not be impacted. If I had access to my computer I would do a screenshot for ya.

Anddd I’m way jealous of you doing Kolob. Love that one. I won’t be doing until August or later. Post a TR when you get back please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I believe this is the other side of the park, literally called “Kolob Canyons” not THE kolob canyon road.
    The road to Lee Pass is called the Kolob Canyon or Kolob Canyons road, depending on the map or source. I believe the highway sign near the exit says Kolob Canyon. This is not the road you want.

Kolob Canyon trail-head...can someone confirm?
    The Kolob Canyon road isn't the one that goes to Lava Point. That is the Kolob Terrrace Road. The technical slot canyon is Kolob Creek, not Kolob Canyon. They are in separate areas of the park. Yes, it is confusing with all the names that have Kolob.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    The Kolob Canyon road isn't the one that goes to Lava Point. That is the Kolob Terrrace Road. The technical slot canyon is Kolob Creek, not Kolob Canyon. They are in separate areas of the park. Yes, it is confusing with all the names that have Kolob.
    The road going up past the Kolob Terraces to the Kolob Reservoir is called, variously, the Kolob Terrace road, and/or the Kolob Reservoir Road. The Kolob Terraces are officially the Upper and Lower Kolob Plateaus.

The section of the Park accessed off I-15 south of Cedar City is the Kolob Canyons Section. I realize many non-Utahns will automatically consider the "s" to be a Utah-accent thing, but it is not. The road up to (and past) Lee Pass is the Kolob Canyons Road, which leads to the Kolob Canyons Viewpoint. This road gives access to many canyons coming off of the Upper Kolob Plateau (kinda sorta), but none of them are named "Kolob Canyon".

The technical canyon through which Kolob Creek flows would, of course, be Kolob Canyon - though it is not officially labelled as such on the USGS topo map, the go-to standard for official names. The PARK may or may not officially call this Kolob CANYON - hard to tell since on-line reservations are not available for Kolob by whatever name.

Tom

but none of them are named "Kolob Canyon"
    True, but I was referring to the name of the road. The road near the Kolob Canyons Visitor Center is the one named Kolob Canyon Road (at least according the sources labeling the road that I'm aware of, including road signs). This is true both east and west of I-15.

Unless it has been changed very recently (as in the last few weeks), the I-15 highway sign at the exit says also "Kolob Canyon" for the exit to the visitor center (check this for yourself next time you drive by) and the road signs call it Kolob Canyon Road. As you point out, the NPS calls the section of the park Kolob Canyons.

https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvis...ob-canyons.htm

Regardless of whatever canyon the NPS or anyone else calls Kolob Canyon (though the technical one being referred to is always labeled as Kolob Creek on all official maps), Kolob Canyon Road is one near the Kolob Canyons Visitor Center. This is the official name of the road itself.

The technical canyon through which Kolob Creek flows would, of course, be Kolob Canyon
    A lot of confusion could be eliminated by simply using the official name of Kolob Creek or calling it Kolob Creek Canyon, such as done most commonly with canyons that are only labeled as creek on the USGS maps (Deer Creek Canyon, Oak Creek Canyon, Boulder Creek Canyon, etc.).

Google Street View off I-15:

Name:  kolob.JPG
Views: 479
Size:  39.3 KB

Name:  kolob 2.JPG
Views: 392
Size:  32.7 KB

Name:  Kolob 3.JPG
Views: 400
Size:  15.9 KB

Name:  kolob 4.JPG
Views: 374
Size:  12.3 KB
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Blog Entries
    "Kolob Canyons road and trailhead access will be closed to all access beginning 4/1/18 until the fall of 2018. Access will be limited to hiker drop off and pick up only for the Lee Pass trailhead from 3/15-3/31/18. Those planning trips involving this area will need to plan accordingly."

Name:  Kolob-Canyons-Sign.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  80.4 KB

Name:  Kolob Canyons2.JPG
Views: 570
Size:  67.7 KB

There's my hand drawn maps for ya @nkanarik.

In other words, Kolob Canyon (tech canyon) WILL be open. Kolob Canyons Road (notice the "s") will not. Kolob Canyons road goes to Lee's Pass. Kolob Terrace Road does not lead to Lee's pass trailhead. Clear as mud?

(Drawing with a mouse sucks, so I apologize for that, but seeing a map should hopefully clear it up for you).
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

10. Likes Scott P liked this post
    Clear as mud?
    Pretty good only that Kolob Canyon on the map should be labeled Kolob Creek and your dashed area is actually the Oak Creek Drainage.

Name:  Kolob Canyons2.JPG
Views: 436
Size:  107.8 KB

Anyway, I think nkanarik gets the message. He should be good to go.

Wow...didn't know my question will generate such a lively discussion

Thanks all......hope to post a trip report for Kolob canyon sometime in June

Cheers

13. Likes jman, ratagonia, Scott P liked this post
    I'm proud to call some map geeks my friends. :D
    Blog | FB

15. Likes jman, Scott P liked this post
    I thought the no "s" meant "no shit".
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by nkanarik View Post
    Wow...didn't know my question will generate such a lively discussion

Thanks all......hope to post a trip report for Kolob canyon sometime in June

Cheers
    They are bored, It's winter.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

18. Likes nkanarik liked this post
    Bogley has changed