Thread: Pacific side of Baja

Pacific side of Baja

The new year was only 7 days old when I flew down to Cabo and met with 14 of my friends. We rode a shuttle up to La Paz and settled down into the hotel, then went to dinner and consumed 3 kilos of meat.

We were there for a 5 night kayak trip on the Pacific side of the peninsula. A place of mangroves and sand dunes protected by islands. The outfitter we used is Baja Outdoor Activities (BOA) in La Paz. They guide supported and non-supported trips. Ours was non supported so everything we needed was in our kayaks...no support boat.

We had two guides who did the cooking, and we all helped with chores. These guys put together custom trips, and they (and Baja in general) are not expensive. Although I hear prices are higher down in Cabo.

La Paz is a great place to visit...there's a lot to do around there. I decided to learn some Spanish and head down there instead of Hawaii, as I usually do in the dead of winter. Here's some pics...BTW, the area we were in is pure wilderness.
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

2. Likes levity, Sombeech liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

As per the new forum rules, I have come here to express my gratitude for this recently posted TR.

Good TR! Excellent work, fellow poster!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

5. Likes jman liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Outstanding TR
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

More pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

8. Likes rockgremlin liked this post

Lest you feel neglected by the collective ambivalence of our fellow Bogley members to your recently posted TR, I have come here to renew my deep gratitude and appreciation for your posting efforts.

Good job poster!! A+ work!!

I especially liked the pictures of the ocean...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

11. Likes twotimer, jman liked this post
    Wow, that looks incredible, and it's wilderness? I would think places like this would have condos and hotels all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Lest you feel neglected by the collective ambivalence of our fellow Bogley members to your recently posted TR, I have come here to renew my deep gratitude and appreciation for your posting efforts.

Good job poster!! A+ work!!

I especially liked the pictures of the ocean...
    Thank you, sir. It was a great trip with great friends...no mishaps, everyone performed well, the weather was perfect and we all were relaxed and happy the whole time. I don't remember anyone bitching about anything.

I declared I'd post up on this trip a couple months ago...but my timing was perfect to quell (at least a tiny bit) the complaints of not enough of these.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Wow, that looks incredible, and it's wilderness? I would think places like this would have condos and hotels all over the place.
    Oh no...take a look at the peninsula on Google Maps...start from the bottom and work up the Pacific side until you see a large island close to the mainland. That big island is seen in the background of the last picture of my first post. The area we were in is all those green channels just north of it. It's about 30 miles between two ramshackle, Mexican fishing villages.

It takes nearly three hours to get to the put in from La Paz. It's a sanctuary for Grey Whales...we saw dolphins but were a month too early for the whales. Even when the whales are around, very few people go there. Pretty much the boondocks, but it's awesome.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

15. Likes Sombeech liked this post