Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bogley, the non-outdoor community

Bogley, the non-outdoor community

Bogley has changed. Don't say that it's just me or that it's due to Facebook.

Although there has always been disagreements and even a few flame wars, there were still some useful outdoor discussion. Now they are almost all gone and very few members post anything related to the outdoors.

I yes, I get it; some of you like Trump and some of you don't. Still, where are all the outdoor discussions to at least be mixed in there? Every time I visit Bogley, I hope for some interesting outdoor discussions, but almost every time, there are none to be had.

Maybe the name of the forum should be changed to Trump Discussion Community or Democrats vs Republicans Community rather than Outdoor Community. It would be nice if there were at least some interesting outdoor related discussions mixed in there on the site, but they are so far and few between that this is no longer an outdoor site.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. Likes DiscGo, 2065toyota liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Yes it has. I was pretty active on here in 2008 up to about 2010ish. I took some time off and did other things since then and recently satrted coming back to visit and comment on stuff again.

I've noticed what you are talking about. There are a few people that still contribute to that part of the site, but they seem to be mainly the mods and a couple of others, mainly in the canyoneering forum. The rest of the site is pretty dead.

I miss the likes of @IntrpidXJ and his stories of epic off road adventures in the Colorado Rockies. He went to some really great places and it always made me want to visit those spots. There are a couple of other notable people that used to post here that don't anymore.

Also, this is the only site on the internet where I get ads for Russian, Chinese, and Lithuanian dating sites as well as Ashley Madison. I know those things are supposed to be based on search history and all that, but good grief. I've never typed anything remotely close to that stuff into a search engine and I don't get them on any other site on the internet. At least not the ones I'm willing to go to.

Quote Originally Posted by devo_stevo View Post
    Also, this is the only site on the internet where I get ads for Russian, Chinese, and Lithuanian dating sites as well as Ashley Madison. I know those things are supposed to be based on search history and all that, but good grief. I've never typed anything remotely close to that stuff into a search engine and I don't get them on any other site on the internet. At least not the ones I'm willing to go to.
    I don't see any ads. Ad Blocker turned on with Chrome.
    Are we there yet?

Just for fun, I turned Ad Blocker off and refreshed. Ads for brass valves, tactical flashlights and camo clothing.
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    Just for fun, I turned Ad Blocker off and refreshed. Ads for brass valves, tactical flashlights and camo clothing.
    Yeah, it's not every time I come here, but it's regular enough that I notice.

Yep, the General Discussion forum is just General. It's fairly rare that trip reports or outdoor related posts come to the General Discussion forum, rather than the respective subforums.

If anybody has Trip Reports or outdoor related discussion, by all means, we'd love to see it posted. But some folks just choose to post their outdoor topics elsewhere and then ask why it's not posted on Bogley, and there's not a lot we can do about that except to ask them to answer their own question.

We've been discussing the relocation of the political stuff back down into the political forum, and that would be a good idea. BUT.... I would love love LOVE if we could each commit to filling that gap in with 1 or 2 outdoors threads in place.

I say let's move it down to the respective forums. Doing this will absolutely take the forum activity to a decline, unless we keep the discussion going up here with outdoor topics. If you guys are ready to post just 1 or 2 threads to fill the gap, I'm all for it.

That's the main reason I've waited to move it down, because it's the primary cause for forum activity lately. But if we switch it over to good ol' outdoor related talk, I'm all for it.

Shall we?

9. Likes Scott P liked this post
    Same thing over at motorcycle forums. Maybe partly due to we don't get enough time off to play (and plan for the play).

On a side note, the Wife and I are still planing our Ceda Mea trip for rock art and ruins, - two more guidebooks ordered! To test the "day trip" options, vs thru hike, this last Saturday we walked 13 miles, then on Sunday we walked 12 miles. We are both 66 yrs old, more or less.

I think it has less to do with political affiliations of the users than it does the fact that most of the original forum creators are older. They have families now, and get out less often than they did when they were younger and had less real life responsibilities.

Also couple that with the fact that I don't document nearly as much as I used to. When I was younger I would take pictures of everything and do these massive TRs. Ain't got time for that anymore.

In some ways Bogley has become a version of the old Yahoo Canyoneering Group.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

12. Likes devo_stevo liked this post
    i do agree with rockgremlin. I used to have more time to go do stuff and I used to document it much more than I do now.

So yes, I'm a part of the problem, not the solution at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Bogley has changed. Don't say that it's just me or that it's due to Facebook.

Although there has always been disagreements and even a few flame wars, there were still some useful outdoor discussion. Now they are almost all gone and very few members post anything related to the outdoors.

I yes, I get it; some of you like Trump and some of you don't. Still, where are all the outdoor discussions to at least be mixed in there? Every time I visit Bogley, I hope for some interesting outdoor discussions, but almost every time, there are none to be had.

Maybe the name of the forum should be changed to Trump Discussion Community or Democrats vs Republicans Community rather than Outdoor Community. It would be nice if there were at least some interesting outdoor related discussions mixed in there on the site, but they are so far and few between that this is no longer an outdoor site.
    I mentioned that like 6 months ago when I resurfaced. We used to have actual gatherings now and then, I remember going to one at Desert Edge Pub. It was fun to meet a bunch of outdoor types. When I did mention the change I got the old "liberals are thin skinned or easily offended so they all ran off...." I actually get a kick out of watching IceAxe and OldNo7 perpetually in a Trump Meme circle jerk. Then again, its nearly impossible for me to get offended by anything, just don't say anything about my Mom or it's go time!

It's winter time, so everyone is chillin' out. Go back to the warmer months and there's plenty of trip reports.

In regards to Trump...you can't turn on a TV, radio or computer without having the media bash you over the head with it. It dominates and will continue to do so. There was plenty of political talk around here when Obama was the prez, but I don't remember anyone whining about it. I think the more liberal types are all torqued because the Trump guys are all smiles.

I say move it back down to the basement...we'll have to log in to see it so any new folks wandering in here won't get all jacked and I also think the General Discussion and others will motor along just fine.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

16. Likes Scott Card liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    i say move it back down to the basement...

no!!!! Circlejerk! Circlejerk! Circlejerk! Circlejerk!

There was plenty of political talk around here when Obama was the prez, but I don't remember anyone whining about it
    There were also plenty of outdoor discussion back then.

In my opinion, political discussions are perfectly fine, but the outdoors should also be discussed to. The outdoor discussions seem to have mostly disappeared. I don't mean just trip reports either.

It's winter time, so everyone is chillin' out. Go back to the warmer months and there's plenty of trip reports.
    We'll see. It seems more than that. Also, as far as winter goes, we went canyoneering last weekend. There wasn't any snow at all in the canyons and everything was super dry.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Jesus.... now we have to babysit your candy ass and personally walk you to the proper forum while guarding your safe space?

EVERY forum ALWAYS takes on the personality of those who post often. If you want more hiking, canyons or other subject matter just go to the proper section and post a couple topics, it's not that difficult.

The general section has been popular lately because that's what those who post often find most interesting at the moment.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkHammergate View Post
    no!!!! Circlejerk! Circlejerk! Circlejerk! Circlejerk!
    you have a habit of ending up in the middle of these discussions, what does that make you, the Master-baiter??
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

I guess we could go back to heart shaped pancakes,strawberries and love letters, they must have had some kind of outdoor connection....

pot--meet kettle...
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

If you want more hiking, canyons or other subject matter just go to the proper section and post a couple topics, it's not that difficult.
    There has been almost nothing there; that was my point. I have posted some stuff there, including everything outdoors I did last year. I don't need to read my own stuff though; I already read it when I wrote it.

The general section has been popular lately because that's what those who post often find most interesting at the moment.
    Yes, that's the point. There is nothing wrong with the General Forum, but the other forums are dead or mostly dead. That's fine if that's what you want, but I stand by my statement that the "outdoor" part of Bogley is disappearing.

I guess we could go back to heart shaped pancakes,strawberries and love letters, they must have had some kind of outdoor connection....

pot--meet kettle...
    Yes, but didn't I also post outdoor stuff while I was posting that? Once again there is nothing wrong with having a General Forum, or political posts.

You yourself used to post all kinds of great posts about the outdoors. For a long time I wanted to do some canyons with you (but apparently the feeling was not mutual). I haven't seen you post anything about the outdoors for a long time. Obviously that's your own choice, but I did enjoy it when you (and others) used to post about the outdoors.

================================================== ====

PS, this isn't my website and I have no say in what goes on. I am just pointing out that the website has changed. Obviously some like the way it has changed. I'm just pointing out that personally I miss the frequent outdoor discussions that used to occur. I'm not asking anyone to change anything for my sake.

Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post

In regards to Trump...you can't turn on a TV, radio or computer without having the media bash you over the head with it. It dominates and will continue to do so. There was plenty of political talk around here when Obama was the prez, but I don't remember anyone whining about it. I think the more liberal types are all torqued because the Trump guys are all smiles.

I say move it back down to the basement...we'll have to log in to see it so any new folks wandering in here won't get all jacked and I also think the General Discussion and others will motor along just fine.
    This ^^^^^^

I wonder how many people leave the site after poking around because the general section has turned so political.
    Life is Good

Have you ever thought maybe the lack of recent reports by EVERYONE might be tied to critics evaluating and belittling posters of said trip reports?

Was a ploy by the russians,tomhank, bots, et/al to drive usage to a newer site..

yea, thats working well for em

bogley has always been in competition with other sites but they ALL come back here,eventually, to PM and get good info. and find out why their brand of politics is wrong
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    This ^^^^^^

I wonder how many people leave the site after poking around because the general section has turned so political.
    great question, I'll guess Scott and beech have an answer.

Is it possible the same things draw in many hits to the site?

Do hits pay the power company?
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?