Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bogley, the non-outdoor community

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Disagree. The rise of Facebook has been a HUGE factor. Maybe the biggest of them all.
    I agree that Facebook is now the 800 pound gorilla in the room.

Forums seem to reach an upper limit on maximum number of people reading/posting very quickly and that max number is surprisingly low. Social media sites like Facebook don't seem to suffer from these limits. I know I can reach a much higher number of people with a lot less headaches through social media than I can through forums.

Like me on Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/CanyoneerUT

Subscribe to me on YouTube: https://m.youtube.com/user/CanyoneerUT

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I agree that Facebook is now the 800 pound gorilla in the room.

Forums seem to reach an upper limit on maximum number of people reading/posting very quickly and that max number is surprisingly low. Social media sites like Facebook don't seem to suffer from these limits. I know I can reach a much higher number of people with a lot less headaches through social media than I can through forums.

Like me on Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/CanyoneerUT

Subscribe to me on YouTube: https://m.youtube.com/user/CanyoneerUT

Didn't you say FB was doomed to fail sometime in the near future?

Name:  fb3.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  24.6 KB

Name:  fb2.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  39.2 KB

Name:  fb.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  19.9 KB
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    No, I said FB was extremely over valued as a stock (investment).

Facebook's stock value still makes no sense as Facebook is worth $500 billion while General Motors is only worth $50 billion. Heck, the tiny car company Tesla which has yet to turn a profit is worth $54 billion. Those numbers don't make sense if you think about them, give me GM all day long as a solid investment.

There doesn't seem to be much of an outdoor culture in Salt Lake City, or Utah in general. Yes, people go outside, but not nearly as much as in Oregon or Colorado. Fewer people going out means fewer posts on forms like bogley. Facebook outdoor groups are a joke. It is just a bunch of pictures of people (normally with kids in tow) hiking up Mt. Olympus or some other boring trail.

Outdoor culture is now dominated by people with less commitment to the sport, at least in Utah. Ten years ago people would brag about hiking +20 miles a day, now 10 miles is considered long. Why post a detailed TR when the trip you did was pulled out of a Falcon outdoor guide and nothing interesting happened?

Hopefully outdoor culture will once again return to its roots of exploration and adventure, but I doubt it. Safety and security are now the priorities of the masses.

6. Likes jman liked this post

Name:  fb3.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  24.6 KB

Name:  fb2.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  39.2 KB

Name:  fb.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  19.9 KB

OH....SNAP!!!

It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by reverse_dyno View Post
    There doesn't seem to be much of an outdoor culture in Salt Lake City, or Utah in general. Yes, people go outside, but not nearly as much as in Oregon or Colorado. Fewer people going out means fewer posts on forms like bogley. Facebook outdoor groups are a joke. It is just a bunch of pictures of people (normally with kids in tow) hiking up Mt. Olympus or some other boring trail.

Outdoor culture is now dominated by people with less commitment to the sport, at least in Utah. Ten years ago people would brag about hiking +20 miles a day, now 10 miles is considered long. Why post a detailed TR when the trip you did was pulled out of a Falcon outdoor guide and nothing interesting happened?

Hopefully outdoor culture will once again return to its roots of exploration and adventure, but I doubt it. Safety and security are now the priorities of the masses.
    Is this your opinion or do you have something to back it up? Not saying it is necessarily incorrect that Oregon and Colorado are more "outdoorsy" than Utah, but the idea that people in Utah don't have an outdoor culture is laughable. Ever seen the parking lots up BCC and LCC? Basically every trailhead and resort lot packed by 8:30 on a weekend. There is a reason it's called the Wasangeles Range. 2 or 3 days after a storm the backcountry is basically a mogul field. 15 years ago, it was easy peasy to hike to a Uinta Lake and spend a few days by yourself. Now it's basically impossible. You could go on and on: San Rafael, Escalante, North Wash, etc. All places that were basically ghost towns not too long ago and are now overrun. I don't think a lack out outdoor Utah culture is any reason why Bogley is slowing down. It's probably more to do people migrating to more specialized sites. Bogley basically has a subforum for everything, but there are sport specific sites that are much more active than any of the subforums: canyoneering has canyoncollective, hiking/backpacking has backcountrypost, skiing has TGR, etc.

There doesn't seem to be much of an outdoor culture in Salt Lake City, or Utah in general. Yes, people go outside, but not nearly as much as in Oregon or Colorado. Fewer people going out means fewer posts on forms like bogley.
    Colorado and Oregon have a lot more people than Utah, but by percentage of residents participating Utah was the #2 state for both hiking and climbing (behind Wyoming). I'll see if I can dig up the data.

In addition, the Wasatch National Forest surrounding the Salt Lake Valley is the most used section of Forest Service land in the nation.

Utah is also the undisputed center of canyoneering.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Colorado and Oregon have a lot more people than Utah, but by percentage of residents participating Utah was the #2 state for both hiking and climbing (behind Wyoming). I'll see if I can dig up the data.

In addition, the Wasatch National Forest surrounding the Salt Lake Valley is the most used section of Forest Service land in the nation.

Utah is also the undisputed center of canyoneering.

Yeah I thought those claims that Utahns are lazy and don't get outdoors were bunk. I mean, I'm lazy and don't get out that much, but I know a lot of other Utahns get out fairly often. And really, with how close the Wasatch Mountains are in proximity to SLC how could that not be the case? SLC is spoiled to have such prominent mountains so close to the city.

How many hard drives are filled up with screenshot libraries waiting patiently for their chance to step out from the shadows to prove somebody wrong LOL

SLC is spoiled to have such prominent mountains so close to the city.
    True. No other major city in the US really compares.

Still, there are many people living in SLC who never visit the mountains.

True. No other major city in the US really compares.

Still, there are many people living in SLC who never visit the mountains.
    Even Denver, the "Mile high city" who's known for its mountainous setting is still quite a long distance away from the Rockies. Most people don't know this.

Blog Entries

Exploration eh? Here’s a plug for my brothers website, as he likes to specialize in the not so known places. Check it out at www.thetrekplanner.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    How many hard drives are filled up with screenshot libraries waiting patiently for their chance to step out from the shadows to prove somebody wrong LOL
    I have almost 2 terabytes of canyoneering and hunting photos

Bogley, the non-outdoor community

What would that chart look like for political discussions or general chit chat topics? I would rather hang around a place that has a variety of topics and chit chat, instead of sausage fest canyoneering talk all day. Sorry, I can only take so much of that. [partly tongue in cheek/]

17. Likes rockgremlin, oldno7 liked this post
    Shopping at REI and spending a few hours hiking the Wasatch every weekend does not mean you are part of a culture. Definition of culture: Culture is the social behavior and norms found in human societies. My point is there is a very weak set of shared norms and values around the environment/outdoor activities in Utah. You can see it on Bogley, and is the primary reason why I have stopped posting TR's here. SLC lost the outdoor retailers show because Utah doesn't embody the norms outdoor companies such as Patagonia and Black Diamond want to project, Colorado does. Culture has nothing to do with how many people do something, it has to do with how people feel about what they are doing.

19. Likes DirkHammergate liked this post
    Shopping at REI and spending a few hours hiking the Wasatch every weekend does not mean you are part of a culture. Definition of culture: Culture is the social behavior and norms found in human societies. My point is there is a very weak set of shared norms and values around the environment/outdoor activities in Utah. You can see it on Bogley, and is the primary reason why I have stopped posting TR's here. SLC lost the outdoor retailers show because Utah doesn't embody the norms outdoor companies such as Patagonia and Black Diamond want to project, Colorado does. Culture has nothing to do with how many people do something, it has to do with how people feel about what they are doing.
    So where do you post your TRs now? Serious question.