Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fifth Water Hot Springs road conditions

Blog Entries

Fifth Water Hot Springs road conditions

It's been over 10 years since I have been here and I have heard that the front entrance, since the road is closed for the winter, is a 7 mile walk, one way??

When I was there the last time, I went in January with a few friends and took the "back entrance". Maybe like a 2 1/2 mile hike one-way. I'd prefer to go this way, unless of course road conditions have changed since then. Is this the preferred driving route in winter?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    When I was there the last time, I went in January with a few friends and took the "back entrance".
    I've heard of people taking the back entrance a lot while at the springs

On another note, this destination has been on my list for a while, the only thing that turns me off is the thought of hiking in to meet up with hoards of people. You'll have to let us know how it is this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I've heard of people taking the back entrance a lot while at the springs

On another note, this destination has been on my list for a while, the only thing that turns me off is the thought of hiking in to meet up with hoards of people. You'll have to let us know how it is this time of year.

For some reason, the folks who consume a lot of alcohol are more prone to access the springs via the back entrance. I don't quite understand it. Hell, I've been up to the springs a half dozen times and I only ever use the back entrance...and I don't drink.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Blog Entries
    Lol.

Well my goal is to take the drone and film all of the nude bathers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Lol.

Well my goal is to take the drone and film all of the nude bathers...

Yeah instead of people asking you not to film them, with these people you'd be begging them to not be in your footage.

7. Likes Sandstone Addiction, jman liked this post
    Yeah instead of people asking you not to film them, with these people you'd be begging them to not be in your footage.

Yup. Lots of saggy skin and grey hair up around those parts. A rare exception would be when some college kids pack in a 24 pack of Bud Light on a random weekend, but that's not nearly as common as the active retiree crowds that frequent that place.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Yup. Lots of saggy skin and grey hair up around those parts. A rare exception would be when some college kids pack in a 12 pack of alcohol on a random weekend, but that's not nearly as common as the active retiree crowds that frequent that place.
    Since these have grown in popularity within the last 15 years I will say I’m not too anxious to see what has changed, new hot pot tubs, trash, etc.

But I hope I am surprised.

Meadow hot springs was awesome until the gate we left open and people soon parked literally 12” away from the hot spring. Soon after, DEEP tire ruts formed as people drove through the mud, many abandoned fireplaces and burn marks surrounding the springs, etc.

:(

"SEND IT, BRO!!"

^^^Speaking of Meadow hot springs, we went out there just a few months ago, and I was pretty shocked at how 2 out of the 3 hot pots aren't hot at all. One is kinda warm, and the other is on the colder side of tepid. And both are partially covered in moss -- yuck! Only the most popular one (closest to the road) is hot -- and even then it's not too hot at all.

While there, I overheard a conversation about the geology of the springs:

Bather1: "I wonder how deep this pool is...?"

Bather2: "Well, considering that these hot pots go all the way to the center of the Earth, pretty deep I'd say!"

Me standing on the edge of the pool: <rolling my eyes and biting my tongue>

11. Likes jman liked this post
    I could be mistaken, but I'm almost positive the Sheep Creek (the road to the up-canyon 5th Water TH) road is not plowed and closed in the winter, unless you have a snowmobile.

The USFS office could confirm that.

Spanish Fork Ranger District
    44 West 400 North
    Spanish Fork, UT 84660
    (801) 798-3571

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    I could be mistaken, but I'm almost positive the Sheep Creek (the road to the up-canyon 5th Water TH) road is not plowed and closed in the winter, unless you have a snowmobile.

The USFS office could confirm that.

Spanish Fork Ranger District
    44 West 400 North
    Spanish Fork, UT 84660
    (801) 798-3571
    The upper road is not plowed, but I've always been able to drive in no problem with 4x4,

I've heard of people taking the back entrance a lot while at the springs.
    Hah.
    Blog | FB

Quote Originally Posted by Udink View Post
    Hah.
    FINALLY

FINALLY
    If you were waiting for a reaction from this joke I hope you were able to notice that my first reply was all tongue in cheek - I picked up where your joke left off.

17. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    Blog Entries

Fifth Water Hot Springs road conditions

Alright, so I’m back. Here’s my quick report:

13.2 miles going the normal way and not the back entrance ;) (I know I know...hilarious...)

We initially tried sheep creek road and about 100 yards on to it you hit a gate. It wasn’t locked so we just moved it and continued on for about 3 miles. Definitely not plowed but there was maybe 4” of powder. Easy stuff. Then we hit the 2nd gate which this time it was locked and said no motorized vehicles past this point except snowmobiles. We tried lifting the gate, and yup, definitely locked right.

And from the look of it, it’s been a while since anyone has been on that road. No tracks anywhere.

So we drove around and did the other entrance. 13.2 miles round trip in 5 1/2 hours including an hour at the springs.

Got some sweet drone footage though. And thankfully it wasn’t in bad conditions as I predicted. But there was a lot of trash laying around. Picked up one full bag of trash. And old piping is scattered everywhere. That would be a good service project for someone...

"SEND IT, BRO!!"

19. Likes rockgremlin liked this post

13.2 miles going the normal way and not the back entrance ;) (I know I know...hilarious...)

We initially tried sheep creek road and about 100 yards on to it you hit a gate. It wasn’t locked so we just moved it and continued on for about 3 miles. Definitely not plowed but there was maybe 4” of powder. Easy stuff. Then we hit the 2nd gate which this time it was locked and said no motorized vehicles past this point except snowmobiles. We tried lifting the gate, and yup, definitely locked right.

And from the look of it, it’s been a while since anyone has been on that road. No tracks anywhere.

So we drove around and did the other entrance. 13.2 miles round trip in 5 1/2 hours including an hour at the springs.

Got some sweet drone footage though. And thankfully it wasn’t in bad conditions as I predicted. But there was a lot of trash laying around. Picked up one full bag of trash. And old piping is scattered everywhere. That would be a good service project for someone...

You're my new hero.

I always hate it when I roll up on places like this and they're packed full of miscellaneous garbage from lazy assholes who can't be bothered to clean up after themselves. Like...I'd expect to see that at a monster truck rally or a Justin Bieber concert, but a beautiful alpine hot spring waterfall? Come ON!!

21. Likes jman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Like...I'd expect to see that at a NASCAR event or a Justin Bieber concert, but a beautiful alpine hot spring waterfall?
    Actually you would never see that at a NASCAR race, even if you were in the snake pit (cheap infield seats). Most die hard race fans are a little older, more mature and have actual manners.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Actually you would never see that at a NASCAR race, even if you were in the snake pit (cheap infield seats). Most die hard race fans are a little older, more mature and have actual manners.

Thought you might chime in about that, lol.

I fixed it.

Cool! Can't wait to see it

Blog Entries
    Here’s my drone vid:

"SEND IT, BRO!!"

26. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Here’s my drone vid:

https://youtu.be/JVYPkuxgSMg

Wow!! That's really cool!! Those springs have changed a lot since the last time I was up there ~ 20 years ago. It appears there's been substantial remodeling -- a lot of those lower pools weren't as developed, and the upper pools were more makeshift. Looks great right now. Makes me wanna go for a 13 mile hike...and post a.....<gasp> TR!! <gasp>

Seriously though, thanks for posting the video. It looks really good. You guys were probably the most attractive bunch up there that day. Most of the bathers I see up there are usually fat, wrinkly democrats.

28. Likes jman liked this post