Thread: New California

We're all here, because we ain't all there.

New California

I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post

Oh brother. This is nothing new.

How many times has this stunt been pulled by Texas - claiming that they were going to secede from the rest of the union?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Oh brother. This is nothing new.

How many times has this stunt been pulled by Texas - claiming that they were going to secede from the rest of the union?
    Yeah, Texas secedes only if a Democrat is POTUS, California if it's a Republican. The pendulum will eventually swing back and it'll be Texas' turn again. But then again, Texas is more fiscally responsible. Most of us don't laugh so hard when Texas wants to secede.

Anything has got to be better than old California.

This is actually a problem IMHO with our country as a whole where a few high density populations centers can control a huge land mass.

6. Likes rockgremlin, oldno7 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    This is actually a problem IMHO with our country as a whole where a few high density populations centers can control a huge land mass.
    I think we should get rid of the Electoral College, it's antiquated and doesn't accurately represent. I see it causing more and more problems down the line. I actually think you'd see candidates stop skipping states if abolished.

Quote Originally Posted by DirkHammergate View Post
    I think we should get rid of the Electoral College, it's antiquated and doesn't accurately represent. I see it causing more and more problems down the line. I actually think you'd see candidates stop skipping states if abolished.
    Not a chance in hell that will ever happen, not to mention it would make the problem of control by high density population centers worse and not better.

9. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkHammergate View Post
    Where's the "Don't Like this post" button located?

That's a terrible idea. You sound like a snowflake.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

11. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    It's amazing how quickly so many people started complaining that we use the electoral college the nanosecond Hillary lost the election.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    It's amazing how quickly so many people started complaining that we use the electoral college the nanosecond Hillary lost the election.
    People making such statements after the last election just don't understand how the electoral college works and why we have it.

The elimination of the electoral college would just change how candidates campaigned. For example Trump spent almost zero time campaigning in California because he was going to lose that state. If the EC were eliminated candidates would spend nearly all their time in three or four high density populations and never bother with places like Utah and Wyoming.

If we were to make any changes to our voting system I hope we would adopt an "Instant Voting Runoff", this would help eliminate the problem many faced during the last election where many were voting for what they considered the lesser of two evils.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inst...ng?wprov=sfla1