Thread: My crazy night

My crazy night

So, this sounds like a fish story, but this has been my night.

I worked a shorter day than usual today, so I decided I could climb a peak a little farther away from the project (between Loveland and Estes Park Colorado). I headed up to Greyrock Mountain, had a nice climb and headed back towards Loveland.

On the way back I wanted to check out the Fort Collins REI and the phone directions take me on the backstreets. While driving, I notice some woman (30 years old) is being thrown out of her house by her boyfriend. All her stuff is on the grass. I think that maybe I should do something and ask her if she needs help. She says someone is coming to pick her up in Loveland on Wednesday, but that she has no where to go until then (she has no credit cards or cash on her), but that some of her stuff is in some place 10 miles east.

So, I say that I'm headed to Loveland (I was) and I could drive her out there to pick up her stuff and then take her to Loveland. Since she had no credit cards or cash, I said I'll take you to dinner and put you up in a hotel until Wednesday. I pull out the phone and pay for a hotel in Loveland. We then drove out to pick up her stuff being stored in some dive and head for Loveland, with me listening intently to her situation she was telling me about, with me trying to be understanding and caring about it. We exchange phone numbers and I tell her to call me if she needs anything.

We get to the hotel, check in and I start carrying her stuff into the hotel room (she has a lot of stuff to carry in). When we are finished, she starts taking off her shirt. I was completely oblivious this whole time (call me naive) that she thought that we were on a date since I was going to take her out to dinner and was putting her up in a hotel room. I told her that I was just being friendly and didn't want any sex, but she said that if I did want that, she would oblige since I was being so generous and putting her up in the room. I said no, I'm married, but that I would use her name and phone number and see if I can see if any of the construction crews are hiring. She said that I must be a really good husband and that she was jealous. She said that I could come over tomorrow if I ever wanted to talk.

I was (or perhaps I should say still am) a little worried that if she doesn't check out after the two days are up, that my credit card could be charged.

Tonight was probably the weirdest night I have ever had, but I do see how I should have been naive about everything. I just gave my phone number, offered dinner, and paid for the hotel room to be nice and not even thinking that she thought I was trying to pick up on her. Looking back I can see that I was indeed being incredibly naive, probably because I have been married so long and live out in the middle of nowhere, so don't think about those things.

Anyway, that was my crazy night (and yes I did call my wife and told her all about it).
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. Likes tallsteve, BasinCruiser liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

You're too nice a guy Scott, I hope this doesn't turn around and bite you in the ass...

I hope this doesn't turn around and bite you in the ass...
    Yes, me too. I admit having a soft spot for those who might be abused or need help (I had a tough time growing up), but having a soft spot does leave you open to being burned.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Just remember to call the motel and make sure she is gone when she is supposed to leave, and if not I'd cancel the credit card and then call the motel and tell them. Good luck...

I hope this doesn't turn around and bite you in the ass...
    It did some. Apparently she got kicked out one night early for smoking in the room and having a pet in the room when she wasn't supposed to (I don't know where the pet came from, when I dropped her off there was no pet and she didn't have transportation). I got charged a $270 fee for the smoking and pet. She texted me and ask if I could help her out again since she got kicked out, but I said that I couldn't do it this time because of why she got kicked out.

I have to say that I'm very disappointed. I guess no good deed goes unpunished.

Sorry it went sideways on you, but I'm not surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    I have to say that I'm very disappointed.
    What the hell were you expecting? I would have at least gotten a few hummers out of the deal.

That'll learn ya, huh? Maybe next time try driving around downtown Denver hucking $20 bills out the window or walking along Cherry Creek handing out packs of cigarettes and bottles of vodka.

Put blinders on and focus on your own family...avoid the low life's. Those people are nothing but vampires.

Sorry if this sounds harsh...but maybe you should have kept this a secret to yourself.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Sorry it went sideways on you, but I'm not surprised.
    I'm not that surprised either, but I am disappointed.

I admit that I have a soft spot for those who are abused or whom appear to need help. I am reminded of it whenever I look in the mirror and see scars. This isn't the first time I got burned trying to help someone out.

Although I always try to help people, I guess there are those who might say I'm cold hearted because I believe that welfare should be worked for and that people on welfare shouldn't be having children if they can't support even themselves. Then again, I do try to help others who appear to need help. Thus far, I have only got burned a few times, but have always hoped that the other times, any help was appreciated and helped someone be happy.

People have helped me out too. When we were little kids, my dad used to say that "it's easier to hitchhike when you have a little kid with you", so we got a lot of rides from people. Some people saved my life in Mexico when I was 18 years old. Since I was travelling alone, it is possible that no one back home would have known what happened to me had I died. While in the mountains, people have offered our family plenty of rides, even in relatively poor countries such as El Salvador, Peru, and Guatemala. Someone helped me with our kids when we capsized the canoe on a river that was rougher than expected. Even as a kid I remember the names of some of the people that helped me out (and also remember the people who gave me my scars).

It's still good to help people. It still is sad and disappointing when you get burned though. It's not the money, but the disappointment.

Look on the bright side, at least now you know the real reason the last guy kicked her to the curb....

....I'm sure in the sob story she gave you it was all his fault and none of hers.

12. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Look on the bright side, at least now you know the real reason the last guy kicked her to the curb....

....I'm sure in the sob story she gave you it was all his fault and none of hers.
    Yes, and she also told me her kid was taken away because of her boyfriend. Speaking of the boyfriend, after the fact I was more worried about the fact that I gave the woman my phone number and that her crazy (ex?) boyfriend might get it than I was any money.

I would have at least gotten a few hummers out of the deal.
    No thanks. I don't cheat on my wife and even if I did, I could do a lot better than having a sexual relationship with someone with an obviously crazy ex(?) boyfriend.

What the hell were you expecting?
    I was expecting that I was going to help someone have a place to stay who was getting thrown out of her place just before the snowstorm and below zero temperatures. I wasn't expecting anything in return. Obviously, I knew there was some risk involved. Still, I was disappointed with the smoking and pet in the room.

Yeah it's great to help out, but never via credit card. Get cash or a cashier's check if you have to, something that can't possibly charge you any further than the original amount.

This is not the first time she's done this.

Wow...that's a heckuva story...

She sounds like a "pro"...

Good on ya, Scott, for being a decent human. Most of us are so jaded we forget what that's like.

Many, many guys would've at least gotten a blowie out of the deal. Especially since she seemed so compliant to begin with...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.