Thread: Looking for a nice camping spot and other nice canyons near Water Canyon

Looking for a nice camping spot and other nice canyons near Water Canyon

Planning a trip for early June, and had Water Canyon (http://www.climb-utah.com/Zion/zionwater.htm) on my list.
    1. Does anyone know any nearby canyons I should consider doing, while in that area? I thought of combining it with Rock Canyon (http://www.climb-utah.com/Zion/rock.htm), but saw the warning on the true-4WD needed for that canyon (I'm going to have a Premium-SUV rental car..."suburban like"...so not sure what I'd get and whether it would be considered at true-4WD (we will have a very capable driver in our team)
    2. Does anyone know of a nice (isolated) camping spot? If we end up doing Rock Canyon, we'll camp nearby, but if not...looking for another option. Feel free to private-msg me if you do want to blast location to the entire www

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by nkanarik View Post
    Planning a trip for early June, and had Water Canyon (http://www.climb-utah.com/Zion/zionwater.htm) on my list.
    1. Does anyone know any nearby canyons I should consider doing, while in that area? I thought of combining it with Rock Canyon (http://www.climb-utah.com/Zion/rock.htm), but saw the warning on the true-4WD needed for that canyon (I'm going to have a Premium-SUV rental car..."suburban like"...so not sure what I'd get and whether it would be considered at true-4WD (we will have a very capable driver in our team)
    2. Does anyone know of a nice (isolated) camping spot? If we end up doing Rock Canyon, we'll camp nearby, but if not...looking for another option. Feel free to private-msg me if you do want to blast location to the entire www

Cheers
    Yankee Doodle would combine nice with Water Canyon and lots of good campsites near Yankee. You can also combo High Star or Boltergiest with Yankee.

4. Likes nkanarik liked this post
    Blog Entries
    You’ll have a blast in Water Canyon! It’s varies a lot in what happens (you’ll understand that point after you do it once) and what you see.

And as far as vicinity - rock is the only thing nearby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

6. Likes nkanarik liked this post
    Thanks Jman and Shane. I'm planning on doing Hidden Star & Yankee as warm up prior to Water Canyon and others. Was hoping to have something else closer :)

No worries

9. Likes nkanarik liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Water Canyon is one of the most-utilized (aka crowded) canyons in the Zion area, as it is a GREAT guiding canyon and gets a lot of guided trips to it. Don't expect to find it free of other groups.

There is a road from Rockville across Gooseberry Mesa to near Hilldale. The hill getting from Rockville up to the Mesa is called Crybaby Hill, for a good reason. Rough. I do not recommend going up that, even in a rental... perhaps down. Here is a map. From the Hilldale side, once you are in the vicinity of Smithsonian Mesa, there are quite a few side roads that offer primitive camping. (The light blue line).

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images  

11. Likes bigskydryfly liked this post
    Thanks Tom...This looks like what I was looking for. Will plan on driving North from Big Plain Junction towards Smithsonian Mesa and then look for a place to crash away from the crowds :). Thank you ALL for the other replies!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Thanks Tom...This looks like what I was looking for. Will plan on driving North from Big Plain Junction towards Smithsonian Mesa and then look for a place to crash away from the crowds :). Thank you ALL for the other replies!
    The road is not well marked, but is conspicuous (in daylight) as a straight road between fields heading off in that direction.

T

We camped near the radio tower / cliff overlook in the Little Creek Mountains when we did Water Canyon and really enjoyed that spot. The road to it is pretty good other than the last 100 yards to the cliff area. A Prius even got to that point without any problems.

Name:  WaterCamp.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  67.0 KB

15. Likes nkanarik, ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mcweyen View Post
    We camped near the radio tower / cliff overlook in the Little Creek Mountains when we did Water Canyon and really enjoyed that spot. The road to it is pretty good other than the last 100 yards to the cliff area. A Prius even got to that point without any problems.

Name:  WaterCamp.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  67.0 KB
    Thanks...now I have another problem of too many options to choose from :). Just sanity check...Google Maps shows it's (37.09601, -113.18684) ~40 min drive from the Water Canyon TH (climb-UT: N37° 02' 16", W112° 57' 19")

Thanks...now I have another problem of too many options to choose from :). Just sanity check...Google Maps shows it's (37.09601, -113.18684) ~40 min drive from the Water Canyon TH (climb-UT: N37° 02' 16", W112° 57' 19")
    We camped a little South of there and barely North of the road at the cliff. I think it took us less than half an hour to get to the trailhead, just over 20 minutes is sticking in my mind.

18. Likes nkanarik, ratagonia liked this post
    Thanks!

20. Likes mcweyen liked this post