Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hey TOMMY! Passes away

Plus Nelson and Eyring aren't known as remotely progressive. Time for a new mall.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkHammergate View Post
    Interesting, got rid of a very popular Counselor in Dieter Uchtdorf that seemed to relate to younger people (who are currently mass exodusing) for this...

Attachment 88684
    “Mass exodus”? It’s a propaganda term. It’s what the other side loves to say whenever they can. It’s meant as a “shock” tactic to regular attending members. As if to “awaken” us or something? Members of the church aren’t clueless. They know people leave the church. It’s not a shock as the other side thinks it is.

Some of my family and friends who are no longer members of the LDS Church, constantly throw out the propaganda term whenever they get a podium to speak. They must think it’s meant to persuade us to leave as well or something?

Remember the “mass exodus” when the so- called “gay-policy” was leaked? Once the media, Kate Kelly, John Dehlin, and the reddit forums at ex-mormon did their thing, about 1000+ people gathered in the park to resign.

That “mass exodus” of people wasn’t your usual regularly-attending members who were suddenly shocked or appalled and decided to leave. Those 1000+ were already on their way out. The “gay policy” just gave them a reason to rally and have an official excuse to leave. And that’s fine, do your own thing.

And ironically some might say, from a recent stake fireside I attended, leadership talked about how some local bishops are seeing some of the LGBT members are returning to semi and full-activity within the church.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

4. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    That “mass exodus” of people wasn’t your usual regularly-attending members who were suddenly shocked or appalled and decided to leave. Those 1000+ were already on their way out. The “gay policy” just gave them a reason to rally and have an official excuse to leave. And that’s fine, do your own thing.
    I'm mostly basing it on my personal experience. Both my uncles families used to post baptismal pictures of their kids and families around 2010 and when this last round of edicts about kids of same sex parents had to disavow or not get baptized until 18 they all threw in the towel. Granted they're not from Utah but none the less, they just stopped going, no fan fare basically couldn't take it anymore. That goes for 3 of 4 of my BYU college friends and their families (again, all outside utah) but it had to have numbered over 50 at least. I grew up in California, super active family in a large ward out of the 30 or so friends I've been able to maintain only 5 or so are active. There is something to dwindling numbers and how Mormons in Utah actually think the church is relevant outside a sliver of the Intermountain West.

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Remember the “mass exodus” when the so- called “gay-policy” was leaked? Once the media, Kate Kelly, John Dehlin, and the reddit forums at ex-mormon did their thing, about 1000+ people gathered in the park to resign.

I'll give you that, I thought it was pretty dumb. I think people should do it the way I did it, I just realized it wasn't true around 10, planned my escape and enjoyed playing ward ball as long as I could. Both my besties are from the same ward, all grew up together, met in Sunbeams. We all have fondness for the way we were raised and the social aspect is actually really great. To me, it takes too much energy to publically make a scene and burn your membership card. Being free of the doctrine was absolutely good enough for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkHammergate View Post
    I'm mostly basing it on my personal experience. Both my uncles families used to post baptismal pictures of their kids and families around 2010 and when this last round of edicts about kids of same sex parents had to disavow or not get baptized until 18 they all threw in the towel. Granted they're not from Utah but none the less, they just stopped going, no fan fare basically couldn't take it anymore. That goes for 3 of 4 of my BYU college friends and their families (again, all outside utah) but it had to have numbered over 50 at least. I grew up in California, super active family in a large ward out of the 30 or so friends I've been able to maintain only 5 or so are active. There is something to dwindling numbers and how Mormons in Utah actually think the church is relevant outside a sliver of the Intermountain West.
    I have lived outside of Utah for 5 years and being in the "minority" is definitely different than being in the majority here. I definitely stood out. A lot of my neighbors were make comments and say "that's where the mormon guy lives! Talk to him if you want to believe in a different Jesus." Or another one that was very diappointing, "stay away from that mormon there especially if you have any 14 year-old girls, because that's what their old prophet Joseph Smith did. He married 14 year olds. That young guy wants our daughters". I turned around and shut the door. I should of said something back, but didn't have the courage. That was in New Jersey.

I would disagree with your last sentence. To some of those people, it means the world. I heard a statistic a year back or so that said there are more members outside of the U.S. than in. AND that there are more non-whites than whites when looked at a global level. But unfortunately, I can't find that newsource where I heard that from currently...

Anyway, my older brother served his mission in the Porte Alegre, Brasil mission almost 25 years ago and he STILL talks with some of those members/converts down there. I see some of them post on his FB account, and even one of them who was a convert now who has a son who is on a mission serving in Brasil. And some of these folks from what my brother has mentioned over the years, want to take their families to the United States, and attend the Salt Lake Temple with my brother. So with that, I would say that the church is still relevant to those people. To us living in Utah, it may not seem that as we really are in a bubble. Bubble in the sense that the next biggest city is over 10 hours away either to Las Vegas, Denver, Boise (5 hrs), or even Phoenix. That keeps us isolated. Bad for some. Good for some. Just depends on how you view it or want it.

And your 5 friends out of 30 who are still active in the church - I was just thinking about my close friends and I would say out of 15 of them that I regularly stay in contact since elementary school, maybe 12 are still active. The other 3, once they submitted their resignations, started to ignore our invitations to hang out, watch a movie, etc. Then they started to ignore even simple "hey man, how are ya?" text messages. And 2 of the 3 unfriended most of us on FB. The other one just never uses FB anymore so that explains that. That was disappointing, but we wish them well. But so weird after 20 years of being friends, they don't even say Hi..

And to be fair, active members have done the same to ex-members too. Cease to be their friends, etc. And that's disappointing. But it's not the churches fault - I just cite it to human behavior.
    Last edited by jman; 01-16-2018 at 10:50 PM. Reason: typos...like usual...
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I heard a statistic a year back or so that said there are more members outside of the U.S. than in. AND that there are more non-whites than whites when looked at a global level. But unfortunately, I can't find that newsource where I heard that from currently...
    Here are some:

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2000/09/n...aking?lang=eng

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...de-the-US.html
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

9. Likes jman liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Nice! Thanks Scott. So the 1st one was back in 2000 and the 2nd one was in 2013. Geez...time flies.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I just find it hilarious when those who will NEVER have any interest in joining the LDS Church are constantly barking commands for the leadership on what to do, how to run the church.

It's also quite ironic when the anti mormon folks fight and argue for certain people get baptized or go to the temple, or to NOT excommunicate Kate Kelly or John Dehlin. The very people that mock and ridicule the LDS will suddenly join a huge effort to fight for the membership status of certain people. Funny stuff.

Yeah, go ahead, let's hear what other demands you have for a religion you have no interest in. I'm sure your voice will have some priority.

#FirstWorldProblems

12. Likes Sandstone Addiction, jman, tallsteve liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Yeah, go ahead, let's hear what other demands you have for a religion you have no interest in. I'm sure your voice will have some priority.

#FirstWorldProblems
    I think some of us have an interest because we live here, and, understand how the sausage gets made.

If you don't think outside opinion influences "things"...well...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978_R..._on_Priesthood

http://depts.washington.edu/civilr/BSU_BYU.htm

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ism-lds-church

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post

"The researcher, Helen Radkey, is a former Mormon who left the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the mid-1970s and was excommunicated after publicly criticising it. She was blocked from the baptisms section of the massive collection of genealogical records the Utah-based church makes available to the public through its website, familysearch.org, until she was given a login by a friend."

"The researcher, Helen Radkey, is a former Mormon who left the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the mid-1970s and was excommunicated after publicly criticising it. She was blocked from the baptisms section of the massive collection of genealogical records the Utah-based church makes available to the public through its website, familysearch.org, until she was given a login by a friend."

https://www.lds.org/church/news/chur...icies?lang=eng

Just say no...ha ha...

http://kutv.com/news/offbeat/do-not-...m-for-the-dead

If I thought a religious practice was a bunch of hooey nonsense, and that "Baptism for the Dead" was nothing more than reading a name on a paper and going for a swim, I wouldn't spend so much time and effort trying to stop it.

But that's just me.

Unless the protesters actually believe it's a saving ordinance; wouldn't that be ironic?

I mean, the practice of Baptism for the Dead isn't going to have any influence on local laws or politics, so that's not the cause of interest, right?

But on the other hand, the Church does have a good point urging it's members not to chase after celebrity names. Unfortunately, you know they had to come out and say that because this was exactly the case.

Hey TOMMY! Passes away

Lol...

Nothing new here...the same scenario that's going on has happened many times throughout history and is well documented in both the Bible and the Book of Mormon.

Humble people call on God to protect them and become a prosperous people . This happened in the 18th and 19th century in the US. Makes sense as to why the numbers of LDS church are greater in the s hole countries.

God answers humble prayers. The US becomes the greatest nation on earth with a government/people that accepts God as the reason it's that way.

God fearing people enjoy prosperity, security and wealth. The US had prevailed in many wars, calamities and disasters through the 19th and most of the 20th century.

People become prideful and forget God.
    This blew up in the 60's and has been increasing ever since. The disrespect, scoffing and ridiculing of things held sacred is alarming.

God punishes His people. Still waiting for this one.

Re-humbled people repent and call on God again to save them.

And the cycle begins again.

I apologize if this sounds preachy, I have no business preaching as I'm sure God is disappointed with many things I do or don't do and I'll likely be turned into a pillar of salt. This is just the way I see things, that's all.

20. Likes devo_stevo, Iceaxe liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Lol...

Drunken ragers

Blog Entries
    Drunken ragers
    They watch all of your fake drone videos instead. CGI for hours!!

"SEND IT, BRO!!"

Hey TOMMY! Passes away

The comments are classic... “probably sleeping” - “they are in their 80’s or 90’s.” Hahaha

Dirk,

Thank you for the hilarious material.

You're Welcome

Dirk