Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey TOMMY! Passes away

Hey TOMMY! Passes away

Any takes on Thomas Monson passing at 90 only to be replaced by a 93 year old?

Seems like an antiquated accession process.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by DirkHammergate View Post
    Any takes on Thomas Monson passing at 90 only to be replaced by a 93 year old?

Seems like an antiquated accession process.
    I think it's weird that you know more about his replacement than I do. What kind of strange news feeds are you visiting on a daily basis?

Statement from President Donald J. Trump Regarding the Passing of Thomas S. Monson, President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Issued on: January 3, 2018

Melania and I are deeply saddened by the death of Thomas S. Monson, a beloved President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. While serving for over half a century in the leadership of his church, President Monson demonstrated wisdom, inspired leadership, and great compassion. Considered a prophet by the nearly 16 million members of the LDS Church, his message was one of optimism, forgiveness, and faith. Our thoughts and prayers are with his three children and the rest of the Monson family.

Haters will say it's fake news. How can Trump possibly be so compassionate?

It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I'm not a believer, but I met Monson a number of times and he was really a nice guy. My mother was head of the Deseret News accounting department for a number of years when Monson was head of the paper. Whenever Monson would see me he would always make it a point to walk over, shake my hand, and tell me how much he appreciated my mother's work. Even after he became president of the church he would always take the time to chat me up for a couple of minutes and to do things like attend my mother's retirement party. Monson was a good man.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    What kind of strange news feeds are you visiting on a daily basis?
    KSL.COM

93 year old Russell Nelson will be the next prophet of the LDS Church if they hold true to form.

Quote Originally Posted by DirkHammergate View Post
    KSL.COM
    That's for Mormons

That's for Mormons

Which site do us heathens use?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I think it's weird that you know more about his replacement than I do. What kind of strange news feeds are you visiting on a daily basis?
    Are you really saying that you're not familiar with the process?

Because even those of us not from here know its typically the eldest and president of the quorum of the 12.

I guess I think its weird that you don't know.

I worked with a Monson upon arrival in Utah and had seen Thomas Monson speak a few times in the 1985ish time frame. I remember thinking...this guy could be the prophet one day. Was impressive.

Not sure what his legacy will be. Outside looking in (as those of us not from here and not in the flock, so to speak), he was over the church at a rough time. And, following GBH was tough.

Nelson is impressive.

13. Likes Sandstone Addiction, rockgremlin liked this post
    No wonder Orrin retired. He has his eyes on a new gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Are you really saying that you're not familiar with the process?
    No, I know how it works, I just had no idea he was 93. Even though I know how it (usually) works too, I don't always know the names. Some people do, some people are, well, religious about it. I'm not a scholar on who is where and who is next and who does what. I'm not a names guy.

I'd eventually find out. But it's funny when non Mormons know more about who it is than I do. Not in a mocking way, it's just funny.

But it's funny when non Mormons know more about who it is than I do. Not in a mocking way, it's just funny.
    I think many non-believers living in Utah are like me and follow the LDS Church closely because it still has a big impact on our lives. All the leadership of the church has to do is whisper something and shit gets done. For example when the LDS Church came out in favor of studying the benefits of medical marijuana and instantly half of the state is in agreement and thinks it's a great idea.

17. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I think many non-believers living in Utah are like me and follow the LDS Church closely because it still has a big impact on our lives. All the leadership of the church has to do is whisper something and shit gets done. For example when the LDS Church came out in favor of studying the benefits of medical marijuana and instantly half of the state is in agreement and thinks it's a great idea.
    Exactly. Sets the societal tone in a sense.

Funny...a few years back, I'm driving home after work on a Monday following a conference weekend. I used to rent in Sugarhouse, and, although now a home owner and I get why folks don't get to know renters, but, I never found my neighbors very friendly. I'd wave, make eye contact (or try to), etc. So...on this day...I get waves from 4 or 5 sets of neighbors who'd avoided even eye contact with me. Guess what the message at conference was...

So, yeah, makes a difference who is steering the boat.

I still can't wrap my head around California's prop 8, then, same sex folks getting married in Utah. I'd have bet medical mary jane way before same sex marriage in the state.

Statements on immigration, refugees, political discourse...all have an impact here.

For example when the LDS Church came out in favor of studying the benefits of medical marijuana and instantly half of the state is in agreement and thinks it's a great idea.
    See, but here's the thing, the majority of those who think it's a great idea are probably non LDS.

I think it's getting better though with Marijuana, we were just discussing this at work today (with a non LDS coworker, and religion didn't come up in the discussion). I agree there shouldn't be a big fuss about MJ, it's not dangerous, it just impairs somebody from operating machinery just like alcohol. Most folks 'round these parts pushing for legalization "like Colorado" don't realize that even in Colorado, it must be consumed inside the privacy of their home, they can't just walk down the street or bring a bag of weed to the concerts (legally). It's still highly restricted in a lot of ways, and people don't know that.

But I want everybody to try it so they'll all shut up about it. I'm so damned tired of hearing how Marijuana will cure cancer and violence and the economy. Certain people smoke 1 blunt and then go out to buy a Bob Marley poster. The whole mantra around Marijuana is friggin' annoying, but I do believe people should have the right to partake.

I think it's getting closer everyday though.

See, but here's the thing, the majority of those who think it's a great idea are probably non LDS.
    That was true... right up to the moment the LDS Church said marijuana might be beneficial to medicine and needed further study.... at which point nearly the entire population of the church is instantly onboard with the idea of let's at least look into the idea.

But legalizing marijuana was not my point. The point of the statement was that a few simple words by the church can drastically shift the point of view of a majority of the state's population, which is why many outside the church follow it closely.

That was true... right up to the moment the LDS Church said marijuana might be beneficial to medicine and needed further study.... at which point nearly the entire population of the church is instantly onboard with the idea of let's at least look into the idea.

But legalizing marijuana was not my point. The point of the statement was that a few simple words by the church can drastically shift the point of view of a majority of the state's population, which is why many outside the church follow it closely.
    I'll have to say I enjoy watching the Hinckley Institute of Politics show (last night). Besides discussing the current sitch with Hatch and Romney, they mused over what the big legislative items were for Utah in the coming year. I was thinking "medical mary jane" but...that didn't get mentioned until the moderator, at the end of the show, mentioned it and with regard to the heir apparent. He's a medicine guy. Renowned cardiologist. So...that could seal the deal.

Yeah I agree. There are a lot of people that will blindly follow whatever comes from the LDS leadership, I've also seen people switch just like that.

So with that in mind, if there's a big political topic or agenda that Utah wants to change, it would be very wise to go right to the leadership to sell it, rather than endless social media campaigns at the ground level, aimed at the regular average Mormon. A lot of them are just going to shut it out unless it comes from leadership, so that's where the focus should be, whether it seems ethical or not.

Interesting, got rid of a very popular Counselor in Dieter Uchtdorf that seemed to relate to younger people (who are currently mass exodusing) for this...

Name:  8uhzg1rkpga01.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  56.4 KB

24. Likes Iceaxe liked this post