Thread: My Crash on the Pine Hollow Trail

My Crash on the Pine Hollow Trail

I was coming down the Pine Hollow trail last Saturday morning, hit a ribbon of ice, went over and tumbled down the slope. The ice totally caught me off guard as the packed snow above this was awesome, plus the ice was the same color so there was no warning. The 100 yard long ice ribbon was so slick that I had a hard time even walking on it. After I put this up on the fatbikeutah facebook page, probably 7 or 8 others reported that they went down or the lead rider in their group went down in this same spot. I heard from the Forest Service that a couple of riders were hurt quite badly. I only have some scrapes and bruises.

Are we there yet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The good thing is, you were smart, and you were filming!

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    The good thing is, you were smart, and you were filming!
    Yep, although the footage doesn't show just how steep the slope is in this section. It's about as steep as you can get without being completely vertical. When I was going over I thought for sure I wouldn't stop tumbling until I hit the road, some 50 yards down below..
    Are we there yet?

Yeah from one tumbler to another, I could tell it was steep I could tell when I saw your hands reach out in front of you and then crawling up on all 4s. Glad you're ok!

I do love riding solo once in a while, and when I'm back at the trailhead I'm always glad nothing happened up there that stranded me alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I do love riding solo once in a while, and when I'm back at the trailhead I'm always glad nothing happened up there that stranded me alone.
    That's why I carry a Spot GPS emergency locator with me on every ride I do up the canyon. Of course, if I get knocked unconscious, it wouldn't do much good but, I typically stick to routes with some traffic.
    Are we there yet?

My favorite trail to ride solo is the Skyline Trail, starting from Pineview Dam in Ogden. Sometimes I'm passing 1 person, sometimes nobody. It's got some good cruising lengths, and none of my riding buddies like to ride it because it's not as great as Snowbasin stuff.

I've had a good spill on this trail on a solo ride, it's the infamous baby raccoon incident. I was lucky to be in riding condition with 3 miles to the trailhead.

Here's a clip from this year of the Skyline trail just for reference

And just for a laugh, same trail

Yeah, I remember that one. The biking gods must have been really angry at you that day!
    Next summer I'd love to ride some of those trails with you. I've never done any of them.
    Are we there yet?