Thread: Stupid Injury

Stupid Injury

I am feeling a little discouraged. 4 weeks ago I fell while hanging Christmas lights and broke my right wrist and have a severe Pilon Fracture in my left ankle.

This is getting me real discouraged as I was looking forward to next year and exploring more canyons. The doctor says that my ankle injury is very severe as both bones basically shattered inside my ankle joint (it wasnt good to look at my feet and see my ankle pointed in the wrong direction).

The recovery timr I have been given is at least a year. For those of you that have had severe injuries in the past what have you done to stay sane and return to canyoneering?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    I am feeling a little discouraged. 4 weeks ago I fell while hanging Christmas lights and broke my right wrist and have a severe Pilon Fracture in my left ankle.

This is getting me real discouraged as I was looking forward to next year and exploring more canyons. The doctor says that my ankle injury is very severe as both bones basically shattered inside my ankle joint (it wasnt good to look at my feet and see my ankle pointed in the wrong direction).

The recovery timr I have been given is at least a year. For those of you that have had severe injuries in the past what have you done to stay sane and return to canyoneering?
    Probably don't want to here this but my buddy did basically the same injury snowmobiling 2 winters ago in the spring. Still hobbling. It's brutal got plates and screws removed about 4 months ago.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Work hard on your rehab is the best advice I can give. Also spend some time and find a good physical therapist as I think that's important.

5. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Blog Entries

Stupid Injury

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post

Sorry about the ankle...been there, done that.

7 years later after my accident I would say the secret is to stay active/moving. I have 99% of my mobility back. In the extreme stretches, my left ankle just doesn't stretch at 100% any more.

Don't rush the recovery either!

My first canyoneering experience AFTER my accident was rappelling down Bridal Veil Falls in July of 2010 with all of my friends to support. It felt great to be back, although still tender.

Wrapping is a great idea too. It keeps the ligaments and tendons in place while you sleep. And ALWAYS wrap from the toes going up to your leg.

Pre-2010, I took stretching for granted.

Post-2010, I always stretch (for at least 5mins) before running, hiking, and canyoneering. Stretching has made a BIG difference in overall fitness endurance.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Thanks for all the advise / encouragement. Right now I am non weight bearing with plates and screws in both my fibula and tibia. Basically from wha t I underst and my ankle splitnopen and both bones basicslly shattered inside my ankle joint. I just hope that I can becime active again. Because of previous knee injuries I have always been extra cautious only doing basic "Kiddie Canyons" but with this most recent injury I am questioning how active I will be able to be.

I have become a big time mountain bike rider over the past 8 years. One of the main reasons I took the sport back up after a 15 year layoff was it allows me to stay active in the outdoors without my body taking the brutal pounding some of my other hobbies were dishing out.

I'm not saying maintaining biking is the only way to go, I'm just saying look around and you'll find options that meet your needs and desires. Good luck :-)

9. Likes Taylor liked this post
    How old are you Archie? If you're young, you can reassure yourself that you still have plenty of years to canyoneer. I used to think I'd never get to see all the canyons I wanted. Now I wait around for the right trip where I can do something new...

I am 36 but have also had surgeries on both knees that make me over cautious. Doctor today said no weight on the ankle for 6 more weeks and then should be able to start adding minimal weight.

36 is young, that's going to be a great help in the healing process....

Look on the bright side... your wife will never again ask you to hang Christmas decorations.

13. Likes jman liked this post
    Physical therapy and staying mentally sane. Last year after my break, I had a plate with 13 screws installed. 3 months later I hiked Wheeler Peak, went deer/elk hunting, and pretty much whatever I wanted.

There is limit of motion and strength and still pain to this day, but just have to deal with it.

I did physical therapy a minimum of 3 days per week and I think that made the biggest difference

15. Likes jman liked this post
    Kust thought I would give an uodate. My injury was just under 15 weeks ago. I have been full weight bearing for 2 weeks now. I still have 2 plates in my ankle alomg with about a dozen screws. I can walk on my own but have a bit of a limp. My goal over the next few months is to work on balancing and strengthing my ankle so that I can hit the canyons this fall.

Great to hear!