Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: Utah Football 2018

If I were a Huskies fan I wouldn't be cheering too loudly about last night's game. UW barely scraped past a broken, second string, freshman Utah team who didn't allow their offense anything more than one measly field goal and damn near beat them.

And if they get Ohio State in the Rose Bowl they're going to get destroyed.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

^^^ I've never seen coach Whittingham that angry...ever.

And although the game was already lost long before the last play of the game, the fact still remains that that dumbass ref who stood there and didn't blow his whistle deserves to be reprimanded. It was an obvious PI.

If Utah doesn't get the Holiday Bowl they will get kicked into one of the who gives a crap bowls.

Here's how I see it or hope.

Rose gets Washington

Alamo gets WaZoo

Holiday hopefully takes Utah

Redbox Bowl will not take Utah as they played Levi Stadium Friday

Sun Bowl God I hope not as we're into who gives a crap territory

LV Bowl would love Utah to slide this far down

Climb-Utah.com

Utah Football 2018

#17 Utah is headed to the Holiday bowl against #22 Northwestern on Dec. 31 at 5 p.m. MST (FS1) at SDCCU Stadium in San Diego.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    ^^^ I've never seen coach Whittingham that angry...ever.

And although the game was already lost long before the last play of the game, the fact still remains that that dumbass ref who stood there and didn't blow his whistle deserves to be reprimanded. It was an obvious PI.
    Why was the game lost before that? I keep reading this, but I disagree. If they throw a flag it puts Utah on the 25, 1st and 10 with about 40 seconds left. It's not like they were down 2 scores or something. I'm not saying we would have necessarily scored, but they were moving the ball a bit downfield and I have seen worse offenses score in that place. If they would have scored I would hope they went for 2. I'd say at least a 10% chance to get the TD and the conversion. Not a slam dunk by any chance but not over over imo.

9-4 record with a New Years Eve Bowl in San Diego against a ranked P5 school? Maybe not a perfect season, but there aren't many schools out there who wouldn't trade places with the Utes. Overall, a good season.

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    I'd say at least a 10% chance to get the TD and the conversion. Not a slam dunk by any chance but not over over imo.

9-4 record with a New Years Eve Bowl in San Diego against a ranked P5 school? Maybe not a perfect season, but there aren't many schools out there who wouldn't trade places with the Utes. Overall, a good season.
    I'd agree with the 10% chance if utah gets the call.

The Holiday Bowl is certainly a top 10 bowl and is where a top 20 team belongs. It's one of the older bowls and has a descent payout.

FWIW - Whittingham played in the Holiday bowl 4 straight years as a player and was named MVP one year.

"Just had surgery to repair a torn ACL and meniscus. I’ll be back before you know it! In the end, minor setbacks turn out to be major miracles!" -Britian Covey

https://twitter.com/brit_covey2/stat...47995000950786

Who should start?

Utah football: If cleared, Huntley says he'll start in the Holiday Bowl

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...iday-bowl.html

I'd start Huntley. Shelley looked like a deer in the headlights during the Pac12 championship game, and his 3 interceptions might have cost them the game.

12. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    I'd start Huntley. Shelley looked like a deer in the headlights during the Pac12 championship game, and his 3 interceptions might have cost them the game.
    ^^^THIS^^^

Shelley is a serviceable QB, and one day he might be a good QB1 as he has a great arm, but where things are today Huntley is the better QB.

14. Likes gholt liked this post
    Report: Utah OC Troy Taylor to be named Sacramento State head coach

https://www.ksl.com/article/46450357...ate-head-coach

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Report: Utah OC Troy Taylor to be named Sacramento State head coach

https://www.ksl.com/article/46450357...ate-head-coach

Well, here we go again. The University-of-Utah-football-coaching-position revolving door has been spun anew. And now Troy Taylor's offensive scheme that the entire program has been earnestly striving to learn will be thrown into chaos again by another OC and a new offensive scheme.

But really though? Sacramento State? WTF? Why would anybody make that switch? It's like going from coaching in the NLF to coaching High School. It couldn't be the money, could it? I imagine the UofU is paying him pretty well.

This sucks... just when Utah is getting something that looks like an actual offense.

And FYI Troy Taylor makes $525,000 a year (same as Morgan Sculley and Jim Harding) and places 117 on the national assistant coach pay scale. Taylor can also make an additional $87,500 a year in bonuses.

Interesting chart if you want to know what assistant coaches make:
    http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/sala...ball/assistant

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    This sucks... just when Utah is getting something that looks like an actual offense.

And FYI Troy Taylor makes $525,000 a year (same as Morgan Sculley and Jim Harding) and places 117 on the national assistant coach pay scale. Taylor can also make an additional $87,500 a year in bonuses.

Interesting chart if you want to know what assistant coaches make:
    http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/sala...ball/assistant

Sounds like he took a major pay cut to go back home.

I can't fault the guy, but why can't the Utes ever have some semblance of stability instead of constantly being the training grounds for other programs?

I can't fault the guy, but why can't the Utes ever have some semblance of stability instead of constantly being the training grounds for other programs?
    All successful programs suffer from the same thing. It's all about the top dog. The problem with Utah is Whitt sucks at offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    All successful programs suffer from the same thing. It's all about the top dog. The problem with Utah is Whitt sucks at offense.
    This is pretty accurate. I think Ute fans sometimes forget how good we have it coaching wise. We have been punching above our weight class for a decade thanks to Whit. When you look at the lack of local talent, limited national exposure, new into P5 conference, limited football history, cold weather, and a city that has very few African Americans it is amazing we have been competitive as we have been. Without Whit we are probably as bad as byu.

Without Whit we are probably as bad as byu.

I'm trying to gauge how much of that is an indication of how great Coach Whitt is versus how crappy BYU is...

This is pretty accurate. I think Ute fans sometimes forget how good we have it coaching wise. We have been punching above our weight class for a decade thanks to Whit. When you look at the lack of local talent, limited national exposure, new into P5 conference, limited football history, cold weather, and a city that has very few African Americans it is amazing we have been competitive as we have been. Without Whit we are probably as bad as byu.
    ^^^THIS^^^

100% Agree....

Folks can bitch about Whitt, but Utah is special and it takes someone who wants to be here.

BYU has never been the same without Edwards. And Edwards like Whitt had many opportunities to move on to bigger and better things but they liked living in Utah and coaching at their respective schools. I'm old enough to remember the years before McBride when Utah was lucky to break .500 for the year... kind of like BYU these days.

Utah is lucky to have Whitt....

Utah averaged 28.7 points per game in 2018 and averaged 396.0 yards per game in a balanced attack which featured 186.8 yards rushing and 209.2 yards passing per game. His offense featured a pair of quarterbacks during the year who combined to completed 61.9 percent of their passes with 15 touchdowns. Seventeen players caught a pass with eight hauling in at least 10. Running back Zack Moss sparked the ground game with 1,096 rushing yards and 11 touchdowns.

During his first season with the Utes (2017), his offense featured a second-team all-Pac-12 receiver (Darren Carrington II) and a 1,000-yard rusher (Moss). Taylor's offense spread the ball around with 16 players catching passes and 11 players rushing from scrimmage. That season, Utah amassed 413.4 total yards per game and posted a 30-14 win over West Virginia in the Heart of Dallas Bowl.

"I am thrilled to be the new head football coach at Sacramento State," Taylor said. "My family and I are excited to move back home and take on the challenge of building the Hornet Football program into something the city can be very proud. I want to thank President Nelsen, Mark Orr and the rest of the search committee for giving me this opportunity."

http://www.hornetsports.com/sports/f...20181217l02pyo