Thread: Mountain name

Mountain name

I wonder how this mountain (in Montana if anyone is curious) got its name. A fight on the summit perhaps?

Name:  bad mountain.JPG
Views: 181
Size:  54.8 KB
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. Likes DiscGo liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Well..according to wiki...was named for a Blackfoot leader called "Bad Married". Morphed into the current name later.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Well..according to wiki...was named for a Blackfoot leader called "Bad Married". Morphed into the current name later.
    Which begs the question of how the Blackfoot leader got that name.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Speaking of names, I had a meeting with my local Forest Service rangers yesterday who I do all of my volunteer trail work under. They told me they are naming a small section of connector trail after me because of all I've done up AF Canyon. For those familiar with the canyon, we rerouted the SFLDC #252 trail a few years ago. The trail used to run right through the primitive camping area, Elk Camp. The reroute skirts the camp now but, there is a short connector trail running from Elk Camp up to the #252 trail. This short connector trail will officially be called "Winters Cut". Kinda cool.

Name:  InkedWinters Cut_LI.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  97.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Are we there yet?

7. Likes rockgremlin, Sombeech, devo_stevo, Iceaxe liked this post
    Why is it not being called "tallsteve Cut"?

But nice to hear

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    Why is it not being called "tallsteve Cut"?

But nice to hear
    Haha! My last name is Winters. When they originally asked me for thoughts on a name, I was just joking around and said how about "Steve's Cut". I had no idea they would actually do it, albeit with a different name. They didn't want it to be that obvious with "Steve" in the name, while "Winters" can mean the season. For clarification sake, I found out the name will actually be "Winters Run". It will have a trail number designation as well although they don't what that will be yet.
    Are we there yet?

10. Likes Rob L, Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Well there you are!

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    Haha! My last name is Winters. When they originally asked me for thoughts on a name, I was just joking around and said how about "Steve's Cut". I had no idea they would actually do it, albeit with a different name. They didn't want it to be that obvious with "Steve" in the name, while "Winters" can mean the season. For clarification sake, I found out the name will actually be "Winters Run". It will have a trail number designation as well although they don't what that will be yet.
    That's cool Steve, you deserve it.