View Poll Results: Which Carrier Provides the Best Mountain Coverage?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • T-Mobile

0 0%
  • AT&T

2 18.18%
  • Verizon

9 81.82%
  • Spring

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Carrier Provides the Best Mountain Coverage?

Which Carrier Provides the Best Mountain Coverage?

I have been on Verizon for years and despite its great reputation, I don't love it. I am considering signing up with T-Mobile because the company is developing a great infrastructure, and I love the way it is being run. The T-Mobile users I know have recently cautioned me to stay away. I'm curious what carriers you guys you and how satisfied you are with them for using outside of the city on your outdoor adventures.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I use Verizon, and it's been really pretty good outside of the urban areas. Heck, on my drives back and forth between SLC and Cedar City and/or Moab, I could stream Netflix non-stop almost the entire way.

I have been contemplating going to T-Mobile because of their unlimited data plans. Last time I checked, I could keep my current phone, and get unlimited data for less than what I pay with Verizon. I almost pulled the trigger but didn't for the same reason you're hesitating -- data coverage. I wasn't sure how good the coverage would be. So, I too would like to know how T-Mobile (or any other carrier) performs in terms of data coverage.

Of course, if you got an Iphone the data carrier would be irrelevant. You could do everything from walking on water to colonizing Mars just by channeling Steve Jobs' aura...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Which Carrier Provides the Best Mountain Coverage?

Verizon has the best network. T-Mobile is horrible in remote locations. Unless things have changed recently, Verizon is still #1 in the mountains, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    I use Verizon, and it's been really pretty good outside of the urban areas. Heck, on my drives back and forth between SLC and Cedar City and/or Moab, I could stream Netflix non-stop almost the entire way.

I have been contemplating going to T-Mobile because of their unlimited data plans. Last time I checked, I could keep my current phone, and get unlimited data for less than what I pay with Verizon. I almost pulled the trigger but didn't for the same reason you're hesitating -- data coverage. I wasn't sure how good the coverage would be. So, I too would like to know how T-Mobile (or any other carrier) performs in terms of data coverage.

Of course, if you got an Iphone the data carrier would be irrelevant. You could do everything from walking on water to colonizing Mars just by channeling Steve Jobs' aura...
    I’ve got the unlimited data plan on Verizon. It’s awesome! I like to use data too, see my history. I’ll tether and stream football games while I’m camping.

I found AT&T to give the best mountain coverage. YMMV

40 - 53Gb of streaming data?!

Dayum!!!

Dayum.... I use 2 or 3 GB a month.....

But then again I'd rather drink beer and have sex with beautiful women instead of streaming data...

9. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    40 - 53Gb of streaming data?!

Dayum!!!
    My kids use it too. If they want to watch a movie in the car or camping or hell if the wifi is having issues at home. Just tether off one of our phones! LOL!

I get HD quality video while camping at Jordanelle, Moab, Sand Hollow, Pineview and the list goes on. I have a Mac Mini in the trailer hooked to the TV. Plus the kids have phones and iPad's. You can tether multiple devices from one phone and crank up the data bro!

Maybe a stupid question.... but... if you are camping why would you want to waste your time watching TV?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Maybe a stupid question.... but... if you are camping why would you want to waste your time watching TV?
    Because we can!

Mostly at night after we get back to the trailer. I’ll watch a football game and the kids watch movies.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Because we can!

Mostly at night after we get back to the trailer. I’ll watch a football game and the kids watch movies.
    I always wonder what people who don't like beer or sex do when camping...

LMAO

14. Likes rockgremlin, Udink liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I always wonder what people who don't like beer or sex do when camping...

LMAO
    I don't like beer.

Campfires are nice.

BTW...I've got Verizon. I think it's great.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Without a doubt, Verizon. I can now be just about anywhere on any mountain and get great coverage. Sad, really - because a few years ago, I could claim "out of service area", but not so much anymore! :)
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

@Scott P- Who do you have and are you happy?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo View Post
    @Scott P- Who do you have and are you happy?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Unfortunately, mountain coverage is not consistent from town to town. Only Union picks up at our house very well. We can barely get Verizon (I can call and marginally hear by walking across our street), but nothing else. Unless things have changed, AT and T works in Meeker, the next town south, but Verizon does not work. AT and T doesn't work in Baggs, the next town North, but Verizon does.

Union is the only carrier that consistently works in all towns in this area, but it's a rural Wyoming and Northwest Colorado specific carrier and isn't the best in other parts of the country.

Even though it isn't the best one around here specifically and we can barely get it (and Meeker can't get it at all), Verizon still has the most widespread coverage.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

19. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Mostly at night after we get back to the trailer.
    Staying in a trailer (especially if you are watching TV) isn't camping.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Staying in a trailer (especially if you are watching TV) isn't camping.

I gotta agree here.

Land yacht camping is just dragging your living room around on wheels. If that's camping, then technically I go 'camping' every night after work.

If there's 1 person in the group up in the mountains that has coverage, it's the Verizon guy. I used to have both at the same time, 2 phones, 1 for work, 1 personal. The Verizon was really dependable up in the remote areas but it was horrible inside a lot of the buildings like the schools I worked in, so I had to rely on T Mobile for calls inside the buildings.

I also stuck an apple sticker on the back of my Samsung just to piss some people off.

I have Verizon and I can't get a signal up AF Canyon but, I don't know anyone who can, no matter the carrier.
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I also stuck an apple sticker on the back of my Samsung just to piss some people off.

I'm fairly certain we were separated at birth...

Name:  applesung.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  67.0 KB

25. Likes Sombeech liked this post