Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bogley Weather Report

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Ended up with 17". Looks like I won't be riding my mountain bike in Corner Canyon any time soon.

Nice! That’s a bit for the benches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Whatever snow that fell on my lawn from yesterday's "big snow event" has already melted. I'm staring at bare grass right now.

In fact, I've only had to get the snow shovel out ONCE this entire winter so far. All of our neighbors laughed when we said we got new shovels in anticipation for winter.

"Oh you're gonna have to get a snow thrower around here. We get multiple FEET of snow up here!"

Ya, right.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Enjoy it while lasts. Ogden normally gets pounded and the commute can be brutal. I’m not looking forward to my future commutes to Kaysville.

Name:  wethre.JPG
Views: 176
Size:  98.9 KB

....and then I read the weather report and frequently the idiot weatherman gets excited about "Warmer weather next week!" or "More sunshine and warmer temps on the way!"

OK, news flash...it's winter. It's supposed to be cold and snowy. This isn't the 4th of July. If the current pattern holds for the remainder of the winter months we're screwed, not to mention warmer temps = inversions.

I wonder how the skiers at Brian Head like skiing on slushy man made snow all the time? But hey, at least it's warm and sunny...right?

6. Likes Scott P liked this post
    Yes, most of it is still going north. Check out Montana:

Name:  mont.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  53.9 KB
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

8. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    60 degrees in Salt Lake the first week of February. It’s a REALLY early spring.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    60 degrees in Salt Lake the first week of February. It’s a REALLY early spring.
    Yeah, pretty crazy! Last Monday I pedaled my fatbike up to the summit of the Alpine Loop (8,200'). It looks more like April conditions up there than the beginning of February. Only 16" of snow at the summit and lots of bare pavement on the road. The trails also have lots of bare dirt, slush and mud. There has been so little snow that I actually have put in about 35 hours of trailwork up the canyon so far in 2018 (cutting out downed trees, pruning brush, removing upslope rolled rocks, checking on specific things for the Forest Service, etc.). Tuesday night I did a fatbike downhill race at Sundance and couldn't believe how little snow was there and the snow they had sucked. I've never seen anything like it.
    Are we there yet?

11. Likes jman liked this post
    Check out the temperature for February 9 in Salt Lake City back in 1933:

Name:  1933.JPG
Views: 164
Size:  49.6 KB
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

13. Likes accadacca liked this post
    The current trend is supposed to continue for at least the next few months. In the West, above normal rain and snow up north, below normal down south is still expected.

Are the ski resorts in Colorado hurting as much as the resorts here in Utah? I've gotta think they are since they're in the same weather pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Are the ski resorts in Colorado hurting as much as the resorts here in Utah? I've gotta think they are since they're in the same weather pattern.
    They aren't doing great either, especially down south.

I've about written off snowmobiling this year. We made one trip to West Yellowstone and have another planned for Togwotee later this month. Probably my only 2 good rides of the year

If the weather doesn't have a huge cool down soon, this will be by far the warmest February on record for much of the West. It will also be the warmest winter for much of the West.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    But the East hasn't been so lucky.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Nice little sleeper storm yesterday. Cottonwoods all got about 17" which will help. Free refills yesterday afternoon and I think I will have fun today as well. These are the days that I am glad God created "client meetings".

I wonder how much the hospitality industry is down this year. I've made a handful of trips to the Tetons this winter and ridden lifts with lots of Midwesterners who made last minute changes from Utah due to conditions.

21. Likes accadacca liked this post
    I'm ready to head out there for a two week hiking/mnt. biking extravaganza, but it makes no sense to drive out there and just hunker down in a tent or motel room because of cold/rain/wind. I'm in a holding pattern and am hoping it warms up after this big storm that is supposed to hit next week.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    I'm ready to head out there for a two week hiking/mnt. biking extravaganza, but it makes no sense to drive out there and just hunker down in a tent or motel room because of cold/rain/wind. I'm in a holding pattern and am hoping it warms up after this big storm that is supposed to hit next week.
    Where you headed? We'll be in the Roost/Swell area.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Where you headed? We'll be in the Roost/Swell area.
    Oh yeah?...when?

I'll roll out of here next Tuesday? Ideally, I'd go straight to Moab and bike for at lest two days, then head to either the Grand Canyon for a quickie backpack or I'd head to St. George to bike there. But I can do whatever I like, as there is no set itinerary.

I'm caught up with work, my taxes are done and my house is so clean the only way it could be cleaner is if I were to pull up the carpet and vacuum underneath it. I'm itching for desert sunshine and all day activity.

Let me know when you're going to be out there. It'd be nice to see ya and do some hiking. I'll have lots of firewood.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

We'll be there tomorrow through Monday. Canyons are undecided at the point, but for sure West Fork White Roost. Maybe a new one as well.

Blog Entries
    Got close to 4” in Kaysville. My work my the SLC airport got about 3”. Looks Zion even got an inch or two out of this storm.

What did you guys get?

Here are two pics from the Facebook page of Zion NP:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

27. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post