Thread: Floy Canyon

2. Likes jman liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Wow! I'm assuming this is Floy about 10 miles East of Green River? If so, what an uninhabitable place. I would never thought native Americans would have lived there.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Blog Entries
    Cool looking Petros!

And what happened to your leg?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    Wow! I'm assuming this is Floy about 10 miles East of Green River? If so, what an uninhabitable place. I would never thought native Americans would have lived there.
    Yes that would be a correct assumption. When I first heard rumor of petroglyphs in that area I thought the same thing,
    what could have possibly attracted anyone to this apparent wasteland. Some claim the main site to be a solstice maker.
    Looks like a migration route to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Cool looking Petros!

And what happened to your leg?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    About that....And there I was making my way to the top of the hill, well one minute there was a ledge under my feet and the next
    thing I know I was making a failed attempt to walk on air.

what could have possibly attracted anyone to this apparent wasteland.
    Water. Floyd Canyon has a nice creek in it not far up the canyon. It is the only water source in the area.

Upper Floy is also rich in wildlife and even in modern times has a healthy elk and bear population. Near the mouth of the canyon it is barren desert, but that's not the case farther up canyon. Upper Floy has rocks similar to parts of Goblin Valley or Bryce Canyon, but the rocks are grey and yellow. The far upper canyon is also thickly forested.

I haven't been there for years. What is the current access situation for getting up canyon? People used to go up canyon, but apparently there is a piece of private land to cross and it was gated by the 1990's.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Water. Floyd Canyon has a nice creek in it not far up the canyon. It is the only water source in the area.

Upper Floy is also rich in wildlife and even in modern times has a healthy elk and bear population. Near the mouth of the canyon it is barren desert, but that's not the case farther up canyon. Upper Floy has rocks similar to parts of Goblin Valley or Bryce Canyon, but the rocks are grey and yellow. The far upper canyon is also thickly forested.

I haven't been there for years. What is the current access situation for getting up canyon? People used to go up canyon, but apparently there is a piece of private land to cross and it was gated by the 1990's.
    I have only been to the mouth of the canyon, the barren desert environment, this area is a bit further north than I generally wander. I am not familiar with the area
    I approached the area from Crescent Junction. I labeled the site as Floy
    canyon only because the information I received from the locals used that name.
    The site is east of what I would call Floy Canyon.