Thread: Seeking Input on Where to go Have Some Family Fun?

Seeking Input on Where to go Have Some Family Fun?

We need something fun to do this weekend. Not to be overly personal, but I simply can not remain in town another weekend in a row. My wife and 4 kids want to go play this weekend. Does anyone have any recommendations for something great to do within 5 hours of Provo?
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Snow Canyon State Park
    Zion
    San Rafael Swell
    Moonshine Wash/Chaffin Geyser
    Moab
    Capitol Reef
    Dinosaur National Monument
    Lehman Caves
    Rattlesnake Canyon/Colorado National Monument

For something not too physical:

Cove Fort
    Prehistoric Museum in Price
    Ninemile Canyon
    Dinosaur Museum Vernal
    Dinosaur Museum in Fruita
    Canyon Pintado (combine with Vernal area)
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

4. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Lehman Caves
    Thank you @Scott P . We have done a lot of the places on your list and we have never been to Leham Caves. That is a great suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo View Post
    Thank you @Scott P . We have done a lot of the places on your list and we have never been to Leham Caves. That is a great suggestion.
    If you do go to Lehmans Cave, other things to see in that area are Notch Peak (even if you don't climb the peak, check out the west side near Painter Springs-incredibly spectacular), Crystal Peak, and Fossil Mountain. Also, if you take the alternate route through Eureka Utah (only a little longer), you can stop at Paul Bunyans Wood Pile. It's really cool as well. The trilobite beds are pretty neat too.

Just in case, you might want to make sure there are still tours available for Lehmans Cave. This time of year shouldn't be crowded.

Paul Bunyans Wood Pile:

Crystal Peak:

Fossil Mountain (the whole mountain is covered in these):

Notch Peak:

You could also stop at the Tabernacle Hill Lava Tubes or Pahvant Butte. Neither are that far out of the way, but bring a good map.

There are nice hot springs in the area as well.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

7. Likes whansen, stefan, DiscGo liked this post
    Crystal Ball Cave is in the area too.

9. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    i'll have to second notch peak. fun hike, spectacular views, particularly the view straight down the vertical face from the top

also if you want to see what flying down the face of notch peak looks like, here's an old video posted awhile back

12. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    If you haven't already done this and you are taking the kids, stop at Topaz Mountain on your way to the caves and let the kids pound rocks. :) My kids actually liked looking for Topaz. Hammers and screwdrivers/chisels are all you need.
    Life is Good

14. Likes DiscGo, stefan liked this post
    Thank you, guys!

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Pahvant Butte area (with Lace Curtain) is a great stop. How about checking out the old ghost town of Sego up Thompson Springs Canyon, from there, you're pretty much proximate to Moab.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

17. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan View Post

Man, that is so darn cool!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stefan View Post
    also if you want to see what flying down the face of notch peak looks like, here's an old video posted awhile back

One of these days.

Does anyone have GPS coordinates for Devils Gate Slot Canyon? I know it is close to Gandy Warm Springs but I can't find any specific details or directions.

Does anyone have GPS coordinates for Devils Gate Slot Canyon? I know it is close to Gandy Warm Springs but I can't find any specific details or directions.
    This is my current best guess: Parking: 39°28'43.67"N 114° 5'53.96"W Canyon???: 39°28'40.46"N 114° 5'45.98"W

Blog Entries

Seeking Input on Where to go Have Some Family Fun?

This is my current best guess: Parking: 39°28'43.67"N 114° 5'53.96"W Canyon???: 39°28'40.46"N 114° 5'45.98"W
    Yup, the canyon is the right.

And Gandy warm springs is sweet, if you have ever been. It’s warmest closest to the rocks at the base of the mountain (involves some hiking), but it’s not hot. Maybe 60-70 degrees me thinks.

Not the warmest time to go swimming, but if you are brave you could bare the water for a bit and at least try out the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Our last trip to Great Basin we spent day 1 going to Lexington Arch, day 2 at Lehman Cave, day 3 hike to Wheeler Peak, day 4 just messing around. Definitely worth hiking to the peak