Thread: Weirdest Slot Canyon I have seen

Weirdest Slot Canyon I have seen

This afternoon my wife and I did the weirdest slot canyon that I have seen. It was near Baggs Wyoming of all places. We stumbled on it unintentionally and were just our for a leisurely walk. The canyon got deeper as we descended until it dropped into an underground tunnel. Past this there were some tight slot sections, several natural bridges and one long underground tunnel. It was barley doable without a headlamp and quite spooky. I could see light way up ahead and would have to feel the floor of the tunnel with my walking stick, afraid that there might be a hole or drop off.

The walls of the canyon were very colorful and the rock was somewhat similar to the rock in Bryce Canyon. There were a few tricky down climbs and at the end the canyon had a drop that we could not down climb. We found a sketchy bypass some rock that wasn't exactly confidence building. After the bypass we were mostly home free. The canyon did drop into another underground section, but we skipped that part.

Sadly, our camera died before we got to the slot. If the weather holds, I might go up there again Thanksgiving weekend and with fully charged camera. It should make for some interesting pictures. I have never seen a slot canyon like this one.

We decided to call the canyon Maggie's Ghost Slot in honor of the colorful historical figure of Maggie Baggs, for which Baggs Wyoming is named for.

It was an interesting day indeed.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Would love to see pictures...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Would love to see pictures...
    Sadly the camera died, but we will be back to take pictures since it's not far from home.

Before the camera died, I did get a photo of the type of rock though.

Name:  DSCN6689 - Copy.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  136.1 KB
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

5. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Nathan Ellison went through Friday and got some pictures.

Blog Entries
    Cool looking photos! I’ll bet that was neat to descend that.

Interesting rock layers, especially the ones where Nathan (I assume?) is downclimbing that steep grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"