Thread: Google + GIS National Forest Recreation Map

Google + GIS National Forest Recreation Map

Below is a link for a Google + GIS map that I produced as a public service and part of my way to “pay it forward”. The map can display 20+ overlay layers that show trails, campgrounds, open roads, closed roads and other recreation-related features in the national forests.

The data for the trails and other overlays is hosted on federal GIS (Geographical Information System) servers and is the most authoritative data available.

You will automatically see a touch interface on mobile devices and a mouse interface on non-mobile devices.

To see the map legend, learn how to turn the overlay layers on/off and get other information to help you get the most benefit from the map, please click “Map Tips” in the upper left corner of the map.

If you click the top layer then you will see a display with all the attribute data the GIS server has for thing that you clicked. Don’t know what “top layer” means? Please read the map tips.

When the map opens the trail data is the top layer and therefore can be clicked. The trail attributes include mileage data. A good way to change the map to your location is to click Menu ==> Search. A search bar will open above the map.

To change the basemap to high resolution topos, change the basemap to “t4 CalTopo Hi-res”.

Even if you do not read anything else, you will understand the trail data a whole lot better if you click the “Map Tips” link, scroll to the bottom of that page and then click the button titled “About trail data”.

Map link: https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.p...recreation.txt

Map link short version: https://goo.gl/nxiP8u

2. Likes Sandstone Addiction, Udink liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Nice work joseph! And thank you!

Just at a quick glance, I noticed that the text for the trails (in yellow) don't properly adjust when zooming in and out, and not to mention difficult to read. Is it something that I'm doing wrong on my side?

Below is Zoomed Out:

Name:  zoomed out.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  66.1 KB

Below is Zoomed In for that same area:

Name:  zoomed in.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  116.1 KB
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

That hard to read text is not your fault. The text for the trail names is defined on the GIS server. That text will be easier to read if you change the basemep to either "m - Street map Google" or "awb - All white basemap".

Awesome. The MVUM overlay is super useful. Thanks!
    Blog | FB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    That hard to read text is not your fault. The text for the trail names is defined on the GIS server. That text will be easier to read if you change the basemep to either "m - Street map Google" or "awb - All white basemap".
    Yea, that’s quite a bit better. Thanks Joseph!

Great work into your “paying it forward” project

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"