Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump will visit Utah to change Bears Ears and Grand Staircase national monuments

^^^ #FakeNews #FearMongering #StiringThePot

A land rush? Really?!? I bet not one legitimate claim is filed.

The land reverts back to the same rules as a year ago before Bears Ears was created. There are about one hundred good reasons there will be no land rush, they are the same reasons there was not a land rush before Bears Ears.

FWIW - nearly all Federal land operates under the same 1872 mining laws, and yes you can still stake a claim, but then you must actually begin working the site and extracting valuable ore.

Back in high school a friend and I actually had a mining claim up Big Cottonwood Canyon, after the novelty wore off maintaining the claim was more trouble and money than it was worth, which is exactly what happens with most these types of claims.

2. Likes oldno7, rockgremlin liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by stefan View Post
    A modern land run? Trump move opens Utah to mining claims under 1872 law

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump’s decision to withdraw federal protections from millions of acres of Utah wilderness will reopen much of the iconic terrain to gold, silver, copper, and uranium land claims under a Wild West-era mining law, according to federal officials.

Starting at 6 a.m. on Feb. 2 – the moment Trump’s proclamation reducing the size of the Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monuments takes effect – private citizens and companies will be allowed to stake claims for hard rock mining in a process governed by the General Mining Law of 1872, according to the U.S. Bureau of Land Management.

The process for staking a claim remains much as it did during the Gold Rush: A prospector hammers four poles into the ground corresponding to the four points of a parcel that can be as big as 20 acres, and attaches a written description of the claim onto one of them. A prospector then has 30 days to record the claim at the local BLM ....

more
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1FK1MA

uhhhhhhh......this shit again? You're trolling now, right?

This topic has been addressed ad nauseum on so many levels. But you just refuse to see anything else besides a doomsday scenario. Catastrophize much?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    ^^^ #FakeNews #FearMongering #StiringThePot

A land rush? Really?!? I bet not one legitimate claim is filed.

The land reverts back to the same rules as a year ago before Bears Ears was created. There are about one hundred good reasons there will be no land rush, they are the same reasons there was not a land rush before Bears Ears.

FWIW - nearly all Federal land operates under the same 1872 mining laws, and yes you can still stake a claim, but then you must actually begin working the site and extracting valuable ore. Back in high school a friend and I actually had so mining claim up Big Cottonwood Canyon, after the novelty wore off maintaining the claim was more trouble and money than it was worth, which is exactly what happens with most these types of claims.

^^^THIS

Get some education outside of Reuters. For once.

6. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    uhhhhhhh......this shit again? You're trolling now, right?

This topic has been addressed ad nauseum on so many levels. But you just refuse to see anything else besides a doomsday scenario. Catastrophize much?

uhh ... i posted an article from reuters, rock. you claiming what the article says is false? i don't believe i've made any personal statements, but i know folks around here like to read a lot into things.

i'm always interested in your opinion rock.

(as per etiquette, i only posted the intro paragraphs to the article but it alludes to some of what you've said previously)

Quote Originally Posted by stefan View Post
    i'm always interested in your opinion rock.

(as per etiquette, i only posted the intro paragraphs to the article but it alludes to some of what you've said previously)

You're killin' me, Smalls.

In my book, dropping a link to a controversial topic and then running away without providing your opinion or any other narrative is classic troll behavior. Like lobbing a golf ball into a hornet's nest and then giggling and running away before the ensuing storm of stingers catches up to you.

You're killin' me, Smalls.

In my book, dropping a link to a controversial topic and then running away without providing your opinion or any other narrative is classic troll behavior. Like lobbing a golf ball into a hornet's nest and then giggling and running away before the ensuing storm of stingers catches up to you.
    or it's something considerably less sinister like posting an update on a topic. i didn't realize how sensationally something that commonly occurs on this site would be perceived.

i have appreciated all of your input on the topic. all i can tell you on this one, short of speculation or discussing alternatives to decisions that have already been set in motion, is ... time will tell. i am certainly interested in seeing your thoughts on the matter play out over the next decade+ and that starts feb 2.

I agree with both you guys. I personally never post links, but if I did I'd certainly comment on it.

There are a bunch of people living like hippies in the San Luis Valley here in Colorado...it's down by Alamosa. They're MILES from town but live in tee-pees and dilapidated lean-tos. All of the land there is private, so they either bought a chunk or are renting. A lot of them living off the grid. There was a big segment on the local news about it a couple months ago.

That kind of thing happening near Blanding or Escalante isn't likely, but some big company tearing into giant chunks is a nightmare for the pessimist crowd. Hayduke, man...

Time will tell, but I'd bet nothing much is going to change there. Personally, I'd like it to slow down a bit...if they were to start restricting camping around Cedar Mesa or off the HRR, that would suck.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

As I have already stated...numerous times before...if there was anything of value in the way of exploitable minerals in the area of Bears Ears, it would have already been mined by somebody at some point before now.

Why stefan insists there is going to be this mad rush of prospectors and greedy land grabbers snapping up claims and paving paradise to put up a parking lot at high noon on February 2nd is beyond me. I'm bookmarking this thread and marking my calendar for mid-2019 so that I can bring it back up and ask howcome there's no gold and silver mining in the Abajo Mountains? Or howcome there isn't a brand new uranium mine in the Comb Ridge?

I can assert my stance with 100% certitude. If you knew who my employer was you'd understand why I am so confident...

13. Likes oldno7 liked this post

Hey, Reuters posted one of my videos, so they're legit

Here's a thought; If anybody is truly thinking the mining industry will take off in this area, and if they're smart, they would be investing in the mining industry here. After all, it's going to go crazy, right? It's a great time to hop on board. Make money from your enemies! Invest in Bears Ears Mining Co.

Damnit I just thought of a great LLC company name, be right back

^^^Hells yeah! The Bears Ears Mining Co., LLC -- There's not much in the way of precious metals, but I hear there's a fairly large bitcoin deposit on the Northeastern flank of the Abajo Mountains...

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    https://goldrushexpeditions.com/mining-claims-for-sale/

Here you go. Make your dreams come true.

Hmmmm...not a single claim in Utah. That's crazy!! I would've expected to see at least a half dozen in the Dark Canyon Wilderness area, or maybe on the outskirts of Blanding.

Personally, I liked the following claim:

Name:  bd.jpg
Views: 1452
Size:  31.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    ...Invest in Bears Ears Mining Co. Damnit I just thought of a great LLC company name, be right back
    Replacement name for Bogley? I'd bet you get a TON of new, site visitors with a website name like that!
    Are we there yet?

19. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    Replacement name for Bogley? I'd bet you get a TON of new, site visitors with a website name like that!

Bears Ear Non Outdoorsy Community.

21. Likes jdn1221 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Bears Ear Non Outdoorsy Community.
    With a description up top that says "We hate the outdoors".

23. Likes jdn1221, Iceaxe liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    "We hate the outdoors".
    "We hate the outdoors, In Fracking We Trust"

25. Likes jdn1221, tallsteve liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkHammergate View Post
    "We hate the outdoors, In Fracking We Trust"
    We hate the outdoors only if there's a Republican in office

As I have already stated...numerous times before...if there was anything of value in the way of exploitable minerals in the area of Bears Ears, it would have already been mined by somebody at some point before now.
    i hear you loud and clear, but value can change over time. for the first time in nearly 50 years, the US is now producing 10 million barrels of oil per day.

Why stefan insists there is going to be this mad rush of prospectors and greedy land grabbers snapping up claims and paving paradise to put up a parking lot
    i've not insisted anything (and neither did the article). you're just reading a lot into things.

on February 2nd is beyond me. I'm bookmarking this thread and marking my calendar for mid-2019 so that I can bring it back up and ask howcome there's no gold and silver mining in the Abajo Mountains? Or howcome there isn't a brand new uranium mine in the Comb Ridge?
    significance of the date is the date of the change in land management policy---nothing necessarily imminent. my interest lies in impact to the land over many decades of time. if what you say is true, then it will play out over the next 50 years and we'll see it. you certainly make a strong case. but, you must understand, for me, when it comes to the long term, there is a still a question mark.

So what happened to the huge lines to register mining claims that some clueless dumbass at Reuters predicted would occur on February 2nd?