Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump will visit Utah to change Bears Ears and Grand Staircase national monuments

Trump will visit Utah to change Bears Ears and Grand Staircase national monuments

Name:  hq720.jpg
Views: 8354
Size:  66.3 KB

SALT LAKE CITY — The White House announced Friday that President Donald Trump will come to Utah in December for his official announcement on changes to Bears Ears and Grand Staircase national monuments.

Earlier Friday, Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, said the president called him to say that he will make reductions to both monuments.

“I was incredibly grateful the president called this morning to let us know that he is approving Secretary (Ryan) Zinke’s recommendation on Bears Ears," Hatch said. "We believe in the importance of protecting these sacred antiquities, but Secretary Zinke and the Trump administration rolled up their sleeves to dig in, talk to locals, talk to local tribes and find a better way to do it. We’ll continue to work closely with them moving forward to ensure Utahns have a voice.”

Hatch's office said Trump also agreed to follow the recommendations Zinke made on Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. Neither set of recommendations have been officially released with any detail.

San Juan County Commissioner Bruce Adams said he was excited and hopeful over the news and had heard the 1.35 million-acre Bears Ears might possibly be reduced to three smaller protected areas specifically designed to protect cultural resources.

The commission released an official statement after hearing of the phone call.

"As a commission, we are thrilled that the years of meetings, countless hours of discussion and tirelessly dedicated advocacy has resulted in our local voices being heard by President Trump and Secretary Zinke," it said. "We take heart in our shared belief that the people of San Juan will continue to take special care of these magnificent lands. This is our home, no one wants to see it protected and secure for future generations more than we do."

Environmental groups immediately decried the news.

“Despite demands from millions of Americans, Native American tribes, elected officials across the nation, scientists and legal scholars, President Trump continues to move down a path that puts the future of America’s treasured lands at risk," said the Wilderness Society's Jamie Williams in a statement. "Any efforts to take away protections for America’s lands and waters will be met by deep opposition and with the law on our side."

Scott Groene, executive director of the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance, said a lawsuit is being drafted and is ready to file once Trump takes official action.

Both controversial monuments in Utah were among a handful across the nation that Zinke, in a leaked report, said need boundary revisions.

The Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument of 1.9 million acres was abruptly designated in 1996 by then-President Bill Clinton, to the dismay of Utah's elected leaders.

Former President Barack Obama designated Bears Ears in December last year over the objections of Utah's congressional delegation, its governor and local county commissions.

Since then, Utah's top political leaders have been urging Trump to rescind or drastically reduce the monuments.

Trump ordered a national monument review earlier this year via an executive order, prompting Zinke to visit Utah in May.

Some media outlets have reported Bears Ears could be reduced to as small as 130,000 acres, while Utah Gov. Gary Herbert believes Grand Staircase could be divided into multiple smaller monuments.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46187932

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I wonder where Air Force 1 will land?

I would love to see this.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    excellent....
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

The claim by environmentalists that Native Americans support the monument is a lie.

“Great American lie that all tribes are for Bears Ears NM
    by Darren Parry
    Vice Chairman, Northwestern Band of the Shoshone Nation

For thousands of years, our tribal elders would sit down with our young children and tell them stories about our people. The stories were always the same, never a word out of place. Our children were taught life lessons that would help them transition to adulthood. Things have changed.

No longer do we teach our children the old ways. Social media does that now. No longer does our youth listen to and respect our elders. No longer does our youth learn the sacred art of compromise, where the thoughts and ideas of all groups are valuable and that all ideas should be heard and respected.

Instead, our politicians have taught them that it is only important to win at all costs.

This brings me to Bears Ears National Monument. It saddens my heart to see the all or nothing attitudes from everyone involved. The BENM movement has been in the works for a long time. This was discussed long ago by Conservation groups that wanted to protect the lands that we know and love.

They were hesitant at first to get tribes involved, according to their minutes. After all, working with a variety of tribal sovereign governments can be tricky. When their lobbying efforts in Washington, DC stalled, a strategic decision was made to include the Navajo Nation, but not without concerns.

This was a brilliant move on their part. For President Obama to support a National Monument, the local tribes needed to be involved. Tribal governments with the help of conservation groups came together and started the Inter-tribal Coalition.

Since the tribes have gotten involved, they have been at the forefront of this movement. But this was never their idea.

The conservationists have done a wonderful job of pushing the tribal nations to the front to speak for their cause. The fact that the President of the Navajo Nation hadn’t heard of or could even tell you where Bears Ears was located speaks volumes.

This land in San Juan County is sacred to our native people. There is no question that those sacred Native sites need protection. What most people don’t understand is that the Native American cultural sites within the monument were already protected under federal law.

Inviting the world to visit these pristine areas does not protect them any better, but it will exploit them. Increasing popularity does not increase protection.

This land has been used by my native brothers and sisters to gather wood, pick plants that have healing and ceremonial purposes and enrich their lives. This land at times has served as a burial ground and a place to live.

This land has also been used by many local residents of San Juan County, who are good people who work hard every day to make a living. If you go there today, it is a beautiful and peaceful place. It has been taken care of by all of us for the last 100 years, and we will continue to do so.

Back in June of 2016, there was a councilman representing the Northwestern Band of Shoshone who officially signed the Support for Presidential Designation of the Bears Ears National Monument to Protect Cultural, Historical & Natural Resources on Federal Lands in San Juan County, UT under the Utah Tribal Leaders Association.

When the Northwestern Band of the Shoshone Nation signed a resolution supporting our tribal brothers and sisters, we did so because we are family. We will always have unconditional love and support for each other like families do.

However, the councilman did not have the blessing of the tribal Council, nor did he speak on behalf of the Council. It has been increasingly difficult to continue to support Bears Ears NM because all sides, interests, and views are not being represented or heard.

The NW Band of Shoshone does not support the Bears Ears National Monument. I disagree with environmental group’s decision to utilize the tribes inside the Inter-tribal Coalition.

This monument was inducted and accomplished without official consultation and significant participation of the NW Band of Shoshone. We believe this takes away the rights and freedoms of many to express their beliefs and views.

This designation is not in the best interests and welfare of not only Shoshone people, but of all Utahan’s who love the land of their heritage.

There is an old saying among my people that says, “What if I told you that the left wing and the right wing all belong to the same bird.”

It is my hope as a tribal leader, as a citizen of the most beautiful state on earth, and as a steward of all things given to us by the Great Spirit, that we can all come together and sit down as a group and make a decision that is in the best interest of everyone.

I am currently working with other tribal leaders to help educate them to the real issues that are involved. This is not a good deal for tribes. They need to understand this. The great American lie is that all tribes are for the Bears Ears National Monument. They are not!

Read more: San Juan Record - Classifieds, Events, Businesses in Monticello, San Juan County, Utah - Shoshone Tribe pulls support for Bears Ears
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

The tree huggers and forest fairies are going to go bat s**t crazy over this...

The claim by environmentalists that Native Americans support the monument is a lie.
    This isn't true. All tribes close to Bears Ears support the Monument:

http://bearsearscoalition.org/about-...ts-of-support/

So do a lot of tribes and bands farther from the Monument.

The Western Band of Shoshone Nation is one of the very few bands who don't support the Monument, but they aren't close to the monument. They live around Brigham City and Pocatello Idaho and they only number about 400 people.

This is compared to the hundreds of thousands of Native Americans that support the Monument.

By way of comparison, statistically you would be much more likely to find a black student at BYU as you would finding a native American opposing the Monument.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    By way of comparison, statistically you would be much more likely to find a black student at BYU as you would finding a native American opposing the Monument.
    By way of comparison if BYU had more black students their football team (1-7) wouldn't suck so bad... Just sayin'

Anyhoo... What was you point again?

9. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    @Scott P - the article I posted isn't the only one I've seen. When news first broke I read articles that claimed the local tribal leaders in and around the four corners area opposed the monument because they felt they would be relinquishing control of the lands to the Feds, and wouldn't have a voice in how those lands are maintained and administered, which is a valid point imo.

If the Native Americans are concerned about conserving these lands and preserving their heritage the absolute worst way to go about that is to relinquish the lands to the Feds so they can make a national park out of it and turn it into Disneyland.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Dirk will be at the Rally Saturday.... Maybe Trump will again degrade the legacy of Pocahontas and the Navajo Code Talkers who are actual true American Heros behind another Andrew Jackson painting.

Quote Originally Posted by DirkHammergate View Post
    Dirk will be at the Rally Saturday.... Maybe Trump will again degrade the legacy of Pocahontas and the Navajo Code Talkers who are actual true American Heros behind another Andrew Jackson painting.
    This reminds me of the type of people upset when a child dresses up as an American Indian for Halloween, but have no problem with Liz Warren pretending to be Native American to advance her career and get free stuff.

Oh and by the way, the Navajo Code Talkers replied about the Pocahontas comment and laughed it off, said they had no problem with it. They were told to yell "Geronimo" while jumping out of the airplane and didn't care about it then either.

I think the most offensive thing should be how we all think these Native American badass warriors are a bunch of panzy snowflakes that get butt-hurt because of a football team mascot or Trump calling some idiot woman imposter "Pocahontas". That doesn't seem to match their warrior-like personalities.

13. Likes bowjunkie, Iceaxe liked this post
    ^^^THIS^^^

The snowflakes were all butt hurt that the code talkers really don't give a shit about Pocahontas (Warren). LMAO

I disagree, we can all get the news we want from the source we want. That's sort of the point of what is currently happening. Look, I thought Hillary was absolutely the worst candidate the dems could run last year. I called it in July that Trump would win, frankly a squirrel would have done better. Also, I do think this country suffers from too much political correctness especially from places like Berkeley that used to be the bastion of free speech, but the optics of that were terrible. In front of an Andrew Jackson painting? I'm "sure" native Americans are "okay" and don't give a "shit" about that.

Go ahead, shrug it off on to Liberals. You're mildly retarded if think Washington Redskins isn't offensive to natives. What if a team say, in the South was called The Atlanta Blackskins?

17. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    So, is there where I go to "I'm rubber you're glue whatever you say bounces of me and sticks to you?"

Quote Originally Posted by DirkHammergate View Post
    I disagree, we can all get the news we want from the source we want.
    I heard it come out of the mouths of the Navajo Code Talker, from his wheelchair, I saw his mouth moving and it matched the words I heard and everything.

He and his fellow Navajo laughed it off. Like for reals.

But unfortunately, there are some White people once again overstepping their boundaries and trying to come in and defend these guys, and they do not want our stupid protection.

The guys had every chance, and every right to roll their eyes at the Pocahontas comment, or to object to it and say how offensive it was. Do you realize how blown up the news would be right now if they actually objected to Trump's comment? We would be hearing about it for a month how Trump is an Injun Killer, right after Thanksgiving, the holiday where we celebrate genocide and all that Liberal BULLSHIT.

But.... these Navajos, the ones who were feet away from Trump when he said it, have not protested one bit. Is it because they are too weak? Do they need Whitey to step in and protect them because they were "drunker than 10 Indians" and weren't really listening to Trump? No, they were sober, they were alert, and they laughed it off because Elizabeth Warren claimed to be Indian to get free stuff and that shit is hilarious.

And it just gets more funny as time goes by.

I believe in empowering them, and it doesn't mean hovering over them and suggesting what to be offended about.

20. Likes bowjunkie liked this post
    Talk about choosing your sources. So much conflict on this one!

Trevor Noah actually defends Trump's Pocahontas comment.

You can hear the crushing inaudible heartbreaking disappointment of the crowd, they have been so hurt by his defense of this racist man!

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    The guys had every chance, and every right to roll their eyes at the Pocahontas comment, or to object to it and say how offensive it was. Do you realize how blown up the news would be right now if they actually objected to Trump's comment? We would be hearing about it for a month how Trump is an Injun Killer, right after Thanksgiving, the holiday where we celebrate genocide and all that Liberal BULLSHIT.

But.... these Navajos, the ones who were feet away from Trump when he said it, have not protested one bit. Is it because they are too weak? Do they need Whitey to step in and protect them because they were "drunker than 10 Indians" and weren't really listening to Trump? No, they were sober, they were alert, and they laughed it off because Elizabeth Warren claimed to be Indian to get free stuff and that shit is hilarious.

And it just gets more funny as time goes by.

I believe in empowering them, and it doesn't mean hovering over them and suggesting what to be offended about.
    No, they "laughed it off" because they have some class and respect. Unlike the person who made the racial slur. My bet is they don't even know who Warren is.

And...you're suggesting what they might be laughing about. Aren't you "hovering over them" too?

http://www.azfamily.com/story/369414...avajo-war-vets

How low does Trump have to go?

Breaking: Pres. Trump to cut Bears Ears by 85% and Grand Staircase by 50%.

------
    SALT LAKE CITY — President Donald Trump intends to reduce the size of the Bears Ears National Monument by 85 percent and the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument by half, according to a report by the Washington Post Thursday.

The newspaper cited "individuals close to the matter," speaking on the condition of anonymity who cautioned that there could be some changes before Trump announces the changes in Salt Lake City on Monday.

Maps of the proposed changes were leaked to the newspaper, a source told the Deseret News. The Post reported that both monuments will be split into several smaller monuments.

Bears Ears would be cut from 1.35 million acres to 201,397 acres and Grand Staircase, from nearly 1.9 milllion acres to 997,490 acres, according to the report.

The White House is expected to confirm details of the event later today, but the Post reported it will be at the Utah Capitol in front of a crowd of supporters. Backers of changes to the monument from southern Utah are expected to be in the audience.

The president's trip was announced by Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, earlier this week. Hatch said the president will also meet with LDS Church leaders and tour the church's Welfare Square.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46208177&ni...ircase-by-half

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Breaking: Pres. Trump to cut Bears Ears by 85% and Grand Staircase by 50%.

------
    SALT LAKE CITY — President Donald Trump intends to reduce the size of the Bears Ears National Monument by 85 percent and the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument by half, according to a report by the Washington Post Thursday.

The newspaper cited "individuals close to the matter," speaking on the condition of anonymity who cautioned that there could be some changes before Trump announces the changes in Salt Lake City on Monday.

Maps of the proposed changes were leaked to the newspaper, a source told the Deseret News. The Post reported that both monuments will be split into several smaller monuments.

Bears Ears would be cut from 1.35 million acres to 201,397 acres and Grand Staircase, from nearly 1.9 milllion acres to 997,490 acres, according to the report.

The White House is expected to confirm details of the event later today, but the Post reported it will be at the Utah Capitol in front of a crowd of supporters. Backers of changes to the monument from southern Utah are expected to be in the audience.

The president's trip was announced by Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, earlier this week. Hatch said the president will also meet with LDS Church leaders and tour the church's Welfare Square.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46208177&ni...ircase-by-half

Sad, but not surprising. A lawsuit or 2 will no doubt follow shortly thereafter and we will get to see updates for the next several years as it is litigated through the courts. I have no clue how it'll all work out in the end.