Thread: What to hike at Bryce when you've been there umpteen times?

What to hike at Bryce when you've been there umpteen times?

It seems that everytime I make a trip to Zion someone in my group has never been to Bryce so we always reserve a day to take a trip because if you've never been there, you have to see it at least once, right?

So, I think I've hiked all of the trails in the main canyon at least 7 times and honestly it's a bit old for me. I have not hiked any of the southern trails or the long through hikes so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for stringing together either a few out and backs or loops that most people don't see (most people being me) that would also give the new people a good experience of the park as well?

All the main loops like Fairyland, Queens Garden, Peek-A-Boo, Navajo I've done so many times that I'm really not looking forward to doing them again. However I'll probably include the Navajo Loop in the mix as it's a classic.

I've not hiked Tower Bridge, Swamp Canyon or Hat shop and was considering those but don't know a thing about them. I was also considering Riggs Spring Loop but that's an unknown for me as well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm also up for anything outside of the park as well, we're coming from Springdale and we'd love to get out to Spooky and Peek-A-Boo slot canyons but that may be too far for a day hike.
    -------
    Jeff

"Be who you are, say what you feel.
    Because those that mind don't matter and,
    those that matter don't mind"

~Dr. Suess~

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've not hiked Tower Bridge, Swamp Canyon or Hat shop and was considering those but don't know a thing about them. I was also considering Riggs Spring Loop but that's an unknown for me as well.
    Tower Bridge and the Hat Shop are interesting, so go there. The Hat Shop is a bunch of balanced rocks, but different from the other Bryce Canyon ones.

The Riggs Spring Loop is nice and has a more alpine view than the rest of Bryce. It is also greener and with more water.

Ponderosa Canyon to Swamp Canyon is worth doing.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

4. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Get some bikes and ride the Thunder Mountain Trail, just along the south of Red Canyon

Mossy Caves is nearby and pretty cool.

"My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Thanks all, I like all of these suggestions and have thrown it it out to my group.

I forgot about Mossy Cave, isn't that accessed from the back side of Bryce? If so, we may be able to hit that on our way back from Escelante.

For the Thunder Mountain Mtb ride, would probably have to rent bikes and make that a loop since we would only have one vehicle, I'm guessing you ride up the paved bike path from the bottom and take the trail down? How much distance is the paved path and the elevation gain? Trying to figure timing.
    -------
    Jeff

~Dr. Suess~

Quote Originally Posted by p40whk View Post
    For the Thunder Mountain Mtb ride, would probably have to rent bikes and make that a loop since we would only have one vehicle, I'm guessing you ride up the paved bike path from the bottom and take the trail down? How much distance is the paved path and the elevation gain? Trying to figure timing.
    You could, but I always set up a shuttle. When I'm on vacation, I don't need no stinking uphill. Actually though, even with the shuttle, there's still plenty of climbing.

I believe the trail is 7 miles one way, and if you're like me and want to stop for pictures and such, plan on a few hours, especially if there's no shuttle.

Sorry, I've got no info about bike rentals down there. But, you could hike from the bottom and start heading up if you like. The bottom trail head starts at that parking lot right at the bottom Red Canyon sign. If I remember correctly, the Thunder Mountain trail sign is misspelled, Thunder Mountian or something like that. It'll be at least a mile hike up before you get into the cool hoodoos though.

Red Canyon itself is decent, there are some short hikes right there at the Visitor Center, you may be able to see them from my video here:

Here is the paved trail in Red Canyon, headed down of course

9. Likes Glenn liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by p40whk View Post
    I forgot about Mossy Cave, isn't that accessed from the back side of Bryce? If so, we may be able to hit that on our way back from Escelante.
    It is about 10 or 15 minutes from the National Park entrance.
    http://climb-utah.com/Bryce/mossycave.htm
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Willis Creek and Bull Valley Gorge are pretty close to Bryce if you want to see some great slot canyons.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

12. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Willis Creek and Bull Valley Gorge are pretty close to Bryce if you want to see some great slot canyons.
    I've been wanting to do Willis creek and not heard of Bull Gorge, I'll look in to those. We were going to try and make it to Peek-A-Boo and Spooky but not sure if we'd have time coming from Springdale.

The Bike ride on the Thunder Mountain trail sounds like fun but the shuttle will probably be an issue for us. Rubie's rents bikes at a reasonable rate so it's still an option.

I have a idea now of what I want to do, thanks for all the suggestions, I was dreading the same old hikes!
    -------
    Jeff

~Dr. Suess~

For an entirely different take, you might consider entering the park from the east via the Tropic Trail. You can park your car at a little loop, climb over a hiker gate and walk right in. It's interesting to see the park from the bottom-up. It joins Peek-a-boo and Navajo loops at their base. Great chance to see deer there also.

Since Mossy Cave is on the way to Tropic, you could do both in a day easily.

Also, I HIGHLY recommend Stone Canyon Inn. They have an excellent restaurant in Tropic.
    https://www.stonecanyoninn.com/

15. Likes Sombeech liked this post