Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bogley Compared to CC

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Nah, I say live and let live; Tolerance of differing viewpoints. Let your example be the inspiration to cause change rather than compelling argument.

If we can successfully change varying opinions, we lose diversity. I find it very important to see different and opposite opinions for a more full spectrum. But when one side starts telling another what to do because they are wrong, that's where the line is crossed.
    This is more or less what I was saying, sometimes discussions are necessary though as long as they are civil. Take for example the LNT ethic, if you are good at it then no one knows you were there to set an example, but it must be done politely. Diversity for the sake of diversity is wrong though, do we need people destroying the planet just because that adds to diversity? Should we not try to stop them because hey we are reducing diversity? This is all just meant as a example not a specific attack against anyone, but discussion breeds new ideas, maybe I bring you to my way of thinking, maybe you bring me to yours, or maybe we both change into something new and better because of our discussion.

Tolerance is great and should come first, but tolerating a different viewpoint doesn't mean I shouldn't discuss mine and try to change your mind.

2. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
    This is more or less what I was saying, sometimes discussions are necessary though as long as they are civil. Take for example the LNT ethic, if you are good at it then know one knows you were there to set an example, but it must be done politely. Diversity for the sake of diversity is wrong though, do we need people destroying the planet just because that adds to diversity? Should we not try to stop them because hey we are reducing diversity? This is all just meant as a example not a specific attack against anyone, but discussion breeds new ideas, maybe I bring you to my way of thinking, maybe you bring me to yours, or maybe we both change into something new and better because of our discussion.

Tolerance is great and should come first, but tolerating a different viewpoint doesn't mean I shouldn't discuss mine and try to change your mind.

Eloquently put.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

5. Likes TommyBoy liked this post
    Main difference?

A free and wildly roaming Iceaxe here. A Ram and his minions roaming there.

I think there's also been a number of folks bummed out by the occasional tone here. Especially any tone that seems to denigrate or demean the fairer folk amongst the community. You know, the reference to the "hot young stipper wife" type stuff.

Which leads to another difference:

Bogley: sausagefest.

CC: folks trying to not hurt anyone's feelings. Which, maybe makes it more inclusive I suppose.

That said, we're all still here and there. What's a yahoo group? Ha ha...

7. Likes jman liked this post
    In my travels out and about in the wilds down south I've bumped into folks who have no clue who I am. We'll get to chatting about various things...gear, trip reports, beta, etc. Somewhere in the midst of the conversation they'll mention Bogley, but in doing so will accompany the comment with a sneer and a scoff -- almost like how most people talk about Trump. Almost like Bogley is a four letter word and they have to justify the comment with a twinge of sarcasm and a roll of the eyes.

Why does it have to be like this? Can't we all just live and let live? Can't we all just....get along?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    If CC had a political forum, they would be just as political as here on bogley. In the Canyoneering section here on Bogley, there's not a ton of Political topics. So to say the Canyoneering forum at Bogley is too political is an incorrect assessment.
    Sombeech, I assume you are referring to my post where I listed this:

More political banter in the general forum.

I was speaking of the General Sub-Forum , not the Political Sub Forum, and it wasn't a complaint or saying that it was too much. Having political discussions is an attraction to some posters and a detraction for others. You might also want to see the definition for banter:

ban·ter
    ˈban(t)ər/
    noun
    [COLOR=#878787 !important][/COLOR]

the playful and friendly exchange of teasing remarks.
      [COLOR=#878787 !important]"there was much singing and good-natured banter"[/COLOR]
      synonyms: repartee, witty conversation, raillery, wordplay, cut and thrust, kidding, ribbing, badinage, joshing"a brief exchange of banter"

verb
    [COLOR=#878787 !important][/COLOR]

talk or exchange remarks in a good-humored teasing way.

definition for banter: So, you are correct that there isn't so much political discussion in the canyoneering sub-form of Bogley, but it's hard to miss since the General Sub Forum is right on top of the site. As mentioned, this can be a plus for some and a minus for others. It doesn't mean that there is too much or to little as people will have different opinions on this.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    And it automatically subscribes you if you simply reply to the thread. And then you click unsubscribe all, which works until you reply again...
    If you don't want an email or notification you simply un-check a box when you make the post (click on options):

Name:  uncheck.JPG
Views: 489
Size:  49.3 KB

I'd rather have the box unchecked by default though.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    If you don't want an email or notification you simply un-check a box when you make the post (click on options):

Name:  uncheck.JPG
Views: 489
Size:  49.3 KB

I'd rather have the box unchecked by default though.
    Instructions posted on Bogley for unsubscribing to a CC thread? ha ha

12. Likes mcweyen, ratagonia liked this post
    I looked into CC a few years back but never joined. It's simply not rowdy enough.

You can really let it fly here on Bogley...I like that.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

14. Likes rockgremlin, ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    In my travels out and about in the wilds down south I've bumped into folks who have no clue who I am.
    Y'all must not've been wearing only your gray briefs.
    Blog | FB

16. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Udink View Post
    Y'all must not've been wearing only your gray briefs.

In my travels out and about in the wilds down south I've bumped into folks who have no clue who I am.
    Canyonero?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    I think you're pretty spot on. To further the generalization:

Bogley
    Republican
    REI
    Android
    Ben & Jerry's
    TGIFriday's

Collective
    Democrat
    Black Diamond
    Apple
    Dreyer's
    Benihana
    Evidence suggests that Kollective Komrads are also Ben and Jerry's fans.

http://canyoncollective.com/threads/...-flavor.24967/

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Evidence suggests that Kollective Komrads are also Ben and Jerry's fans.

http://canyoncollective.com/threads/...-flavor.24967/

Tom

LOL, you just barely started that thread yesterday. And I noticed you were intentionally prodding for a response in regards to Dreyer's.

LOL, you just barely started that thread yesterday. And I noticed you were intentionally prodding for a response in regards to Dreyer's.
    Yeah...FAKE NEWS!

Ha ha. Sets up a poll then doesn't bother to manage it.

Its a poll on which Ben and Jerry's flavor is favored. Not on whether people actually like Ben and Jerry's.

A significant number of people responding to the poll added another brand. That doesn't indicate people are fans of Ben and Jerry's.

(Yeah, but, I like it...just don't buy it very often).

22. Likes jman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    I looked into CC a few years back but never joined. It's simply not rowdy enough.

You can really let it fly here on Bogley...I like that.
    Do you ski? If so join TGR.com. The rowdiness there would send the majority of Bogleyites to their bedrooms.

Oh and how pissed is backcountrypost that it wasn't included in this?

24. Likes jman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    Do you ski? If so join TGR.com. The rowdiness there would send the majority of Bogleyites to their bedrooms.

Oh and how pissed is backcountrypost that it wasn't included in this?
    Yup. Bogley is actually very tame. I belong to a few forums where there are over a half million members all over the globe, and the crowd is pretty *ahem* diverse. Post what you want, say what you want, and nobody gets offended or upset. Most of the time the crap just gets dished back, and the banter can get pretty entertaining. Trolls are shouted down, and flame wars are relocated into the basement. Some of the ladies are worse than the guys when it comes to language.

Bogley is tame by internet forum standards, but Bogley is a Rolling Stones concert compared to CC's church choir atmosphere, at least that's how I see the two.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Bogley is tame by internet forum standards, but Bogley is a Rolling Stones concert compared to CC's church choir atmosphere, at least that's how I see the two.
    That made me LOL for realsiez in real life.

The biggest setback was the allure of the ‘betabase’ and having that fall through the cracks. Maybe one day eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    The biggest setback was the allure of the ‘betabase’ and having that fall through the cracks. Maybe one day eh?
    A crowd sourced beta base will always be "iffy" at best. The big problem is there is no control on the quality or accuracy of the beta being presented.

It also doesn't help when the moderators of the beta base refuse to add your contributions when it's their 'secret' canyons you are tossing under the buss.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Yup. Bogley is actually very tame. .

Hold my beer and watch this
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

30. Likes Iceaxe liked this post