Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bogley Compared to CC

Bogley Compared to CC

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    It was a mix of canyon collective and Bogley members...

Wait...is that even possible? I thought Bogley and CC got along like oil and water.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries

Bogley newbie fest Spring 2018?

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Wait...is that even possible? I thought Bogley and CC got along like oil and water.
    Lol. From what I gathered, it was people who didn’t know such a partition existed from the CC side. That is such 2012 news @rockgremlin...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Lol. From what I gathered, it was people who didn’t know such a partition existed from the CC side. That is such 2012 news @rockgremlin...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well...just askin'. Wanted to know if the haters still hatin'.

I mean...just speaking for myself I hold no ill will. But I know there was a lot of bad blood there for a little while over on that side. I'm not even sure why it existed.

I mean...just speaking for myself I hold no ill will. But I know there was a lot of bad blood there for a little while over on that side. I'm not even sure why it existed.
    Seems to me it's a beta vs. non beta thing. There's been a lot of ugly back and forth in that regard, so hugs and kisses at a social setting might be tough for some. None of that matters to me, though...I've found that people are a lot more personable in the flesh than online.

There're quite a few folks I'd like to meet.

I just returned from the Swell. A big campout at Hidden Splendor sure is fun. Great hiking and views and the opportunity for some to step up their game with the keeper canyons.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

6. Likes ratagonia, jman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    Seems to me it's a beta vs. non beta thing.
    ^^^THIS^^^

Different ethics on how beta should be shared and what/If it should be shared.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    ^^^THIS^^^

Different ethics on how beta should be shared and what/If it should be shared.
    Both sides have debates on this and it's more than that. Although some people have preferences on which site to use, I haven't seen much bad blood.

I know that these are generalisations, but here are my owmn perceptiobs since I frequent both sites.

Bogley

Generally Utah centered.
    Less pro wilderness.
    Overall less experienced canyoneers.
    Often easier to find partners.
    People don't have as many set partners so Bogley tends to be more open to new partnerships.
    Less discussion on advanced techniques.
    More political banter in the general forum.
    Less serious, more light hearted.

Canyon Collective

Lots of Utah members, but also a lot of California and Arizona members.
    More experienced membership.
    More pro wilderness.
    More already have set partners. so it's often harder to find partners.
    More technical discussion.
    Less political banter.
    More serious, less light hearted.

The above are my own perceptions and generalisations. Take them how you will.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

9. Likes TommyBoy, jman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Bogley

Generally Utah centered.
    Less pro wilderness.
    Overall less experienced canyoneers.
    Often easier to find partners.
    People don't have as many set partners so Bogley tends to be more open to new partnerships.
    Less discussion on advanced techniques.
    More political banter in the general forum.
    Less serious, more light hearted.

Canyon Collective

Lots of Utah members, but also a lot of California and Arizona members.
    More experienced membership.
    More pro wilderness.
    More already have set partners. so it's often harder to find partners.
    More technical discussion.
    Less political banter.
    More serious, less light hearted.

The above are my own perceptions and generalisations. Take them how you will.

I think you're pretty spot on. To further the generalization:

Bogley
    Republican
    REI
    Android
    Ben & Jerry's
    TGIFriday's

Collective
    Democrat
    Black Diamond
    Apple
    Dreyer's
    Benihana

Scott's post on CC (Yahoo Canyons) vs Bogley is a reasonable general description of how things are these days, but the original diversion and the main reason there are two groups is over how beta was dispensed. That argument is now over 10 years old and the groups have since progressed with their own flavor.

The biggest difference there days is Bogley is an outdoor site and not restricted to simply canyons as CC is.

Bogley has canyons, MTB, hunting, shooting, sports, politics, hiking, rock art and ruins. CC has canyons and canyons.

12. Likes jman liked this post
    If CC had a political forum, they would be just as political as here on bogley. In the Canyoneering section here on Bogley, there's not a ton of Political topics. So to say the Canyoneering forum at Bogley is too political is an incorrect assessment. It would also be like saying the Canyoneering section here at Bogley talks about Mountain Biking too much, which is false.

The rivalry, if it really exists, is stupid, both groups should be able to get along just fine. It's unfortunate that some, and this goes for both groups, can't tolerate somebody else having a different point of view. I think the community as a whole would benefit from allowing somebody to think a certain way without trying to change their mind or belief or affiliation, and just get outside away from it all and enjoy the outdoors.

There should be no reason why the community as a whole couldn't get together and enjoy some canyons.

14. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    The rivalry, if it really exists, is stupid, both groups should be able to get along just fine. It's unfortunate that some, and this goes for both groups, can't tolerate somebody else having a different point of view. I think the community as a whole would benefit from allowing somebody to think a certain way without trying to change their mind or belief or affiliation, and just get outside away from it all and enjoy the outdoors.
    I agree to some, extent, however if you feel strongly about your viewpoint you should be trying to change others opinions, the trick is to do this amicably and not hate someone just because they won't accept your way of doing things.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Dan moved on. Fly fishin' now.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    LOL.

Was wondering about him specifically. Hope he catches a big one.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    I think you're pretty spot on. To further the generalization:

Bogley
    Republican
    REI
    Android
    Ben & Jerry's
    TGIFriday's

Collective
    Democrat
    Black Diamond
    Apple
    Dreyer's
    Benihana
    Seriously? Ben and Jerry's? You know those guys are Stalinists, right? Well, they support Bernie, bascially the same thing, right?

19. Likes moab mark, twotimer liked this post
    I moved this to it's own thread for two reasons, first Rob's thread was an invite and not a debate, second it deserves it's own thread.

Carry on.....

As in Ransome? If so,I'm sorry to see him move on.

To continue the thread drift: Fly Fishing 1970's UK TV advert still held with fond memory. They don't make them like this any more.

Bogley: easy to use. The email settings work
    CC: pain to use. CC never stops emailing you, no matter how many times you tell it to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    Bogley: easy to use. The email settings work
    CC: pain to use. CC never stops emailing you, no matter how many times you tell it to stop.
    It only emails you if you subscribe to a thread.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
    I agree to some, extent, however if you feel strongly about your viewpoint you should be trying to change others opinions,
    Nah, I say live and let live; Tolerance of differing viewpoints. Let your example be the inspiration to cause change rather than compelling argument.

If we can successfully change varying opinions, we lose diversity. I find it very important to see different and opposite opinions for a more full spectrum. But when one side starts telling another what to do because they are wrong, that's where the line is crossed.

25. Likes accadacca liked this post
    Seriously? Ben and Jerry's? You know those guys are Stalinists, right? Well, they support Bernie, bascially the same thing, right?

I support Bernie too, which is why I prefer Bogley. See what I did there? Ben n' Jerry's--->Bernie--->Bogley.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    It only emails you if you subscribe to a thread.
    And it automatically subscribes you if you simply reply to the thread. And then you click unsubscribe all, which works until you reply again...